The Falkirk FC Thread

8 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Cut price deal to get out.

They've never shown any interest in selling before at far higher values. Whilst I'm no fan of the way they've ran the club at times they are Falkirk fans and aren't going to sell off their shares to just anyone to make a few quid and the vast majority of Falkirk fans are the same.  

11 minutes ago, Rocco said:

He did it once and then didn’t really show that sort of form again before we got him, so that hardly describes “proven”. 

Nobody describes Michu as a proven goal scorer in the premiership!

He didn't play at that level again though till he came back to us. It's no rocket science. League one excellent goal scoring record , championship and above poor goal scoring record.  We saw it again last season when he struggled to get anywhere near the amount of goals  for Dunfermline in the championship that he got for us . It's not just luck that makes his record in league one  39 goals in 58 apps whilst his record in the champ above is 30 goals in 179 apps.  Footballs all about levels. His level as a goalscorer is league one.  Above that he's a striker who gets the odd goal and puts a lot of effort in. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Rawlins is sitting on his hands as the value of the club continues to decline. Then puts the money in when he can get the most % shareholding for the lowest cash injection.

THe value of the club is dictated by the BoD. Unless they drop the share price substantially it’s not going to go down in value. They also control who can buy and sell shares.

So, unless the Board Is in on it with The Rawlins they will not get it at cut price.

17 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He didn't play at that level again though till he came back to us. It's no rocket science. League one excellent goal scoring record , championship and above poor goal scoring record.  We saw it again last season when he struggled to get anywhere near the amount of goals  for Dunfermline in the championship that he got for us . It's not just luck that makes his record in league one  39 goals in 58 apps whilst his record in the champ above is 30 goals in 179 apps.  Footballs all about levels. His level as a goalscorer is league one.  Above that he's a striker who gets the odd goal and puts a lot of effort in. 

Im just making the point that there was a bit of luck in it as just because he did it with Morton in league 1, didn’t mean we’d get the same from him. Obviously we were fortunate to get him on very good form, and like you say, his record over the two seasons was very good and you would say he’s a proven scorer at League 1, but you couldn’t say that after he did it one season

There are/were players out there, Hamilton, Keatings, Todorov, McKay, and to a lesser extent Paton who has joined QoS. If we can afford to chuck a three year deal at Brad McKay surely we can attract someone to play in league 1 for a year who has been over the course instead of a loan kid from Aberdeen who hasn't scored a goal and two trialists who last season were at Forfar and Dumbarton. Yet it seems Holt's scouting nouse is from the Houston school of signing players on your own doorstep who meet his profiling. 

28 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Im just making the point that there was a bit of luck in it as just because he did it with Morton in league 1, didn’t mean we’d get the same from him. Obviously we were fortunate to get him on very good form, and like you say, his record over the two seasons was very good and you would say he’s a proven scorer at League 1, but you couldn’t say that after he did it one season

He'd proved he could score 20 goals in one season in league one. Your taking a gamble on any player at the end of the day but if you scout him properly and speak to people who played beside him the last time in league one then you should be able to get a pretty good idea on whether he's liable to do it again.  Most people on here were over the moon when he signed even though he has a dubious scoring record in the championship as the main opinion was then that he was a very good goalscorer at this level. 

15 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

There are/were players out there, Hamilton, Keatings, Todorov, McKay, and to a lesser extent Paton who has joined QoS. If we can afford to chuck a three year deal at Brad McKay surely we can attract someone to play in league 1 for a year who has been over the course instead of a loan kid from Aberdeen who hasn't scored a goal and two trialists who last season were at Forfar and Dumbarton. Yet it seems Holt's scouting nouse is from the Houston school of signing players on your own doorstep who meet his profiling. 

As I said before I'd have been sniffing about the two boys Raith released early doors . I reckon both would've scored a pile of goals at this level but we've been caught napping as usual. Holt probably waiting for his laptop to boot up whilst others are just getting on with signing players.

19 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Your not seriously suggesting that Houston and Holt are similar are you ? That’s total unfair on Houstie imo.

6 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Hamilton may be getting a shot at the Livingston first team this year, Keatings & Todorov aren't 'proven goalscorers' and Mckay we probably had no chance with given he would have preferred to stay up north instead of moving his family. Paton was the only realistic one and even he was a gamble. 

1 minute ago, FFC 1876 said:

Hamilton may be getting a shot at the Livingston first team this year, Keatings & Todorov aren't 'proven goalscorers' and Mckay we probably had no chance with given he would have preferred to stay up north instead of moving his family. Paton was the only realistic one and even he was a gamble. 

I reckon todorov would get a barrowload in league one. Not sure about Keatings though was a good player but other issues have obviously effected him adversely over the last few years. I wouldn't wish our club on him for a few goals.

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Your not seriously suggesting that Houston and Holt are similar are you ? That’s total unfair on Houstie imo.

Not in general no,  but Houston signed some shite Joe McKee, Taylor Morgan, Alex Harris, John Rankin to name a few, granted he wasn't backed by the board as maybe he should have. Holt is supposed to have a few contacts. The signings so far suggest it's a load of pish. 

10 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I reckon todorov would get a barrowload in league one. Not sure about Keatings though was a good player but other issues have obviously effected him adversely over the last few years. I wouldn't wish our club on him for a few goals.

12 league goals in the last two seasons. You've been drinking too much with the scarf. I don't doubt that he's less of a gamble than our current strikers though and he could possibly flourish this season at the scum.

Edited by FFC 1876

4 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

12 league goals in the last two seasons. You've been drinking too much with the scarf. I don't doubt that he's less of a gamble than our current strikers though and he could possibly flourish this season at the scum.

I'm talking about him in  league one here though not the championship it's a big difference. You only have to look at McManus stats to see the difference in levels.  Just look at Mitch megginson.   2 goals in 37 for Raith and alloa in the champ. 4 in 40 for dumbarton  the season before in the championship. His record below the championship like mcmanus though is outstanding.  It's all about levels.

11 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'm talking about him in  league one here though not the championship it's a big difference. You only have to look at McManus stats to see the difference in levels.  Just look at Mitch megginson.   2 goals in 37 for Raith and alloa in the champ. 4 in 40 for dumbarton  the season before in the championship. His record below the championship like mcmanus though is outstanding.  It's all about levels.

Everything's just clicked for Megginson at Cove and he's clearly flourished and gained a lot of confidence from being their main man. In his earlier days I didn't think he looked a bad player and if I'm not mistaken he was used a lot out wide for the teams you have mentioned instead of straight through the middle. 

Edited by FFC 1876

20 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Just look at Mitch megginson.   2 goals in 37 for Raith and alloa in the champ. 4 in 40 for dumbarton  the season before in the championship. His record below the championship like mcmanus though is outstanding.  It's all about levels.

Does that not suggest something though? 

From his wiki stats, Megginson doesn't appear to have been prolific anywhere until he left the senior game and dropped down to the Highland League. Then he scored for fun there and has been doing it ever since. Cove signed a player who appeared to be nothing special and suddenly it clicked for him. 

When it comes to strikers, that's the market that we're in  As are probably most clubs in Scotland. Take a gamble on someone average and hope he comes good. Or maybe reduce the gamble if you know the player and think you can improve him. 

It's interesting to note that Megginson scored 1 goal in 33 appearances for Aberdeen. That's on a par with the Aberdeen boy we were linked with, yet some posters on here have already written him off.  

I'm more inclined to trust Sheerin. Until he's proven that he can't spot a player then I'll accept whoever he brings in no matter what they've done previously. 

Oops, just noticed that FFC1876 basically said the same thing but with less words. 

Edited by Bainsfordbairn

2 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Does that not suggest something though? 

From his wiki stats, Megginson doesn't appear to have been prolific anywhere until he left the senior game and dropped down to the Highland League. Then he scored for fun there and has been doing it ever since. Cove signed a player who appeared to be nothing special and suddenly it clicked for him. 

When it comes to strikers, that's the market that we're in  As are probably most clubs in Scotland. Take a gamble on someone average and hope he comes good. Or maybe reduce the gamble if you know the player and think you can improve him. 

It's interesting to note that Megginson scored 1 goal in 33 appearances for Aberdeen. That's on a par with the Aberdeen boy we were linked with, yet some posters on here have already written him off.  

I'm more inclined to trust Sheerin. Until he's proven that he can't spot a player then I'll accept whoever he brings in no matter what they've done previously. 

Oops, just noticed that FFC1876 basically said the same thing but with less words. 

I'm just glad we're so in sync.

51 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He'd proved he could score 20 goals in one season in league one. Your taking a gamble on any player at the end of the day but if you scout him properly and speak to people who played beside him the last time in league one then you should be able to get a pretty good idea on whether he's liable to do it again.  Most people on here were over the moon when he signed even though he has a dubious scoring record in the championship as the main opinion was then that he was a very good goalscorer at this level. 

Cough ....we had a barrel load of players who skooshed league one previously the first season down here, we were 4th flirting with 5th under McKinnon.

McManus was perhaps a lesser gamble but we were lucky he had a poor goal ratio championship (9 in two seasons prior)and we were willing to make him our highest paid player.

I wasn't particularly over the moon when we signed him as I didn't think that much of him at championship level other than a grafter. 

I am still of the mind we will need to pull a rabbit out the bag for a top striker to come in.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

If we'd managed to keep McManus and we'd been promoted, would you have punted him at that point?

1 hour ago, ebobsboy said:

It seems Holt's scouting nouse is from the Houston school of signing players on your own doorstep who meet his profiling. 

My guess is that we aren't in the financial position to put loanees (or signings?) up in accomodation just now, which means anyone we bring in will be from the Scottish market. I'd also guess that won't change until we're back in the Championship and/or attendances are back to normal. 

And yes, I know that's an opening for someone to point out that we apparently turned down some money recently. Not going to argue as I would probably have supported the investment but please lets not go back there again. It's been done to death. 

1 minute ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

My guess is that we aren't in the financial position to put loanees (or signings?) up in accomodation just now, which means anyone we bring in will be from the Scottish market. I'd also guess that won't change until we're back in the Championship and/or attendances are back to normal. 

And yes, I know that's an opening for someone to point out that we apparently turned down some money recently. Not going to argue as I would probably have supported the investment but please lets not go back there again. It's been done to death. 

Doesn't stop us offering deals to players from down south and letting them think about their own accomodation. Makes our offer a lot less appealing but if you don't buy a ticket for the lottery you won't ever win.