The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We must surely be making 3 or 4 signings before the league cup group games start. I don't expect us to have the full squad but we should be using those games to hone our side and then adding a couple of players as finishing touches just after that.  We shouldn't be starting them needing 6 players that's for sure.

I think it's the standard of the next 3 or 4 signings that give you the fear because the squad as it stands looks poor , i'd be surprised if at least one of them isn't one of the trialists, who really shouldn't be anywhere near us, but Holt knows best.  

1 hour ago, Hughsie said:

I’d rather just pretend Holt didn’t exist because the more I think about the team we currently have and his attitude at the Q&A, the more raging I become.

Ignorance is bliss.

I just got round to it this week, his attitude at the Q&A was unbelievable. One of the main reasons I feel no connection to the club at the moment.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

He scored 24 goals for us that season but had scored 34 goals in the previous 4 seasons combined including just 2 league goals as Ross County one the league the season before we signed him. He was fantastic for us that season but aside from a loan spell at Morton when he was 20 there wasn’t a lot of evidence to suggest he was going to get the amount of goals he did and then seemingly we have tried to sign him a further twice since then and been outbid both times. 

Signing a goal scorer is the hardest thing in football and there’s not a team in world football that wouldn’t love to have a proven goal scorer but what we need to do is take a punt on someone who we believe has the potential to like we did with Rory Loy for example. 

He was a  proven goalscorer at this level though and we signed him .  He scored  20 in 32 at this level for Morton and 19 in 26 at this level with us. 39 goals in 58 games in his league one career. The trick is signing a player who whilst they may have struggled for goals at a higher level will get you goals at this level. It's the seaside leagues. We with the right contacts should be able to get in a couple of strikers that can score at this level. Instead we're giving trials to guys that have struggled to get goals at Dumbarton and forfar.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

2 hours ago, Zbairn said:

Interesting to gauge what the Rawlin's intentions with our club are...because I certainly don't have a clue. 

They have effectively bought it for 24% (26% ??) of the shareholding with the blessing of the Board. I have a vague recollection that Deans sold this to other shareholders by stating that they would increase this to a 45% level by ploughing more cash into the club, that hasn't been forthcoming. They obviously haven't bothered to put cash in to strengthen the team. The BoD then rejected £550k that would have made a collosal difference.

By consensus of opinion on here the squad looks light and no where near good enough to win this league. That leaves us in a position of being in this hell of a league for another year , potentially the 4th in a row. Without moving upwards, with no cash from our erstwhile owners, league income being minimum, dropping season ticket sales and much lower sponsorship....the only way for this club to progress in a footballing sense is through other teams being basically mince and by luck we are less mince !

So..... what's in it for our friends from across the pond ? ...because I can't see anything at the moment that suggests they are doing everything in their power to make it a success.  Far from it.

Rawlins is sitting on his hands as the value of the club continues to decline. Then puts the money in when he can get the most % shareholding for the lowest cash injection.

2 hours ago, JulioBairn said:

Brilliant 😂. You genuinely think teams won’t sign players cos they’ve played for Falkirk. Classic.

Well look where the players we punted over the last few years have ended up.

What's your explanation for the non appearance of the quality players at club with the biggest budget in the league.

Guest Caractacus Potts
5 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Rawlins is sitting on his hands as the value of the club continues to decline. Then puts the money in when he can get the most % shareholding for the lowest cash injection.

That makes no sense mate. The option they have to increase their shareholding is at 50p/share and will take them over 1m shares in order to take their stake to 45%. 

The only other way they can get shares is if any current shareholder sells up but why would anyone sell their shares for cheap? It’s a sentimental thing for most people anyway and can’t see why Sandy or Martin would want to give them a cut price deal. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

4 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

YARN | Change the record | Step Brothers (2008) | Video gifs by quotes |  1e2ae1e8 | 紗

17 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

. We with the right contacts should be able to get in a couple of strikers that can score at this level. 

We don't have the right person in place who has the these contacts and therefore we won't get these players who must be out there somewhere.

Can somebody remind me, did Deans ever actually apologise for not sacking M&M sooner? Because as sure as eggs is eggs, as we face another season down here in season 2022/2023, history will repeat itself and Deans will be apologising for not having got rid of Holt sooner.

#Holt out

4 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

We don't have the right person in place who has the these contacts and therefore we won't get these players who must be out there somewhere.

Can somebody remind me, did Deans ever actually apologise for not sacking M&M sooner? Because as sure as eggs is eggs, as we face another season down here in season 2022/2023, history will repeat itself and Deans will be apologising for not having got rid of Holt sooner.

#Holt out

I was replying to the original statement which was about us not being able to sign a striker who will score goals in division 3 because we are in division 3.  You've hit the nail on the head though it isn't because we're in division 3 it's because we've got the wrong people in charge.

23 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Here we go again.😂😂😂

2 hours ago, Hughsie said:

I’d rather just pretend Holt didn’t exist because the more I think about the team we currently have and his attitude at the Q&A, the more raging I become.

Ignorance is bliss.

And to think the NB guys wanted him out too……

2 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

So he's going to be on the physio table all season then?

He's been injury prone throughout his career, he ended up at Queen's Park probably for that reason.

Next stop Kelty 

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We got McManus no bother.  Had to pay him a few Bob more I'd expect but certainly was worth it .

McManus pretty much squad player at County and on a fair bit of cash, no championship team entertained making him their highest paid player for a reason, whereas us in the 3rd division had no qualms.

Have Dundee or Hearts got any 3rd division capable strikers squad players on daft money for us to do the same ?

We got lucky with McManus and the likes of Taylor and Farid. Baird probably the last proven goalscorer of which we were also fortunate to get. I just don't see anyone out there bar the Livvy striker, the rest would need to be another Farid or Taylor.

1 minute ago, MrDust said:

He's been injury prone throughout his career, he ended up at Queen's Park probably for that reason.

Next stop Kelty 

McManus pretty much squad player at County and on a fair bit of cash, no championship team entertained making him their highest paid player for a reason, whereas us in the 3rd division had no qualms.

Have Dundee or Hearts got any 3rd division capable strikers squad players on daft money for us to do the same ?

We got lucky with McManus and the likes of Taylor and Farid. Baird probably the last proven goalscorer of which we were also fortunate to get. I just don't see anyone out there bar the Livvy striker, the rest would need to be another Farid or Taylor.

It's certainly going to have to be a gamble on someone but we'll hopefully source better gambles than John Robertson or Jaime Wilson. Probably needs to be someone from down south as there's obviously not many players up here still fishing about for a club, unless we're relying on someone falling out of favour for us to loan. Holt needs to start using any contacts he may have as we need a few out the box signings to bolster the starting line up.

1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

That makes no sense mate. The option they have to increase their shareholding is at 50p/share and will take them over 1m shares in order to take their stake to 45%. 

The only other way they can get shares is if any current shareholder sells up but why would anyone sell their shares for cheap? It’s a sentimental thing for most people anyway and can’t see why Sandy or Martin would want to give them a cut price deal. 

Cut price deal to get out.

11 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

we need a few out the box signings to bolster the starting line up.
We need a few out the box signings to bolster the sagging support base!

This is actually the biggest long term concern, season ticket numbers have dipped quite a bit in a short space of time. When fans drift away it’s extremely hard to get them back, if we don’t get up this season we could quite easily become an Airdrie type club. Without the fans buying the tickets and merchandise we could easily become an established part time club in the bottom two divisions rather than a full time club between the top two divisions 

Guest Caractacus Potts
2 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Cut price deal to get out.

That’s just not going to happen. Why would Sandy and Martin suddenly just sell cheap to the Rawlins and not Falkirk fans? 

Terrible business plan if that’s what the Rawlins are hanging their hopes on. Mostly because it’s just pure fantasy. 

42 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Next stop Kelty 

I wouldn't say we got lucky with McManus. He'd proven before that he could score heavily at this level but struggled for goals championship up. We really need to try and find a player playing at a level or two higher than they should. There must surely be guys out there somewhere like that.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I wouldn't say we got lucky with McManus. He'd proven before that he could score heavily at this level but struggled for goals championship up. We really need to try and find a player playing at a level or two higher than they should. There must surely be guys out there somewhere like that.

He did it once and then didn’t really show that sort of form again before we got him, so that hardly describes “proven”. 

Nobody describes Michu as a proven goal scorer in the premiership!

Edited by Rocco