The Falkirk FC Thread

18 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Thought he threw them under the bus a bit there. He said in his statement in September  last year that ‘we’ve been able to provide Lee and David with the resources to put together a squad that we believe is capable of taking us back to the Championship.’

Ofcourse you’d say what else could he say at the time but then if he says similar now regarding Sheerin you’re less likely to believe it. He could have lauded Holt/Sheerins recruitment process without having a go at M and M. People take notice to that and sure it wouldn’t have gone amiss to David and Lee. 

I think he was actually talking about the scouting and Lex Millar contract's more than anything when he said the recruitment process was shocking.

Unlike some, I’m not going to make an overall judgement on the squad until I’ve seen them play in Sheerin’s setup. 

If Sheerin is good at his job, then he should be able to find a setup that works best for the team and get a tune out of them. The only thing out his control is a goal scorer but if he can put a team together that will create plenty chances, then we should score goals

Weird that we seem to have a left back in on trial when we have Mccann, Sneddon and Dixon who can all play there currently. Hopefully the centre back number 5 showed up well as I'd hate to think of Hall being our first replacement in there.

Jaime Wilson and John Robertson aren't exactly what we as fans have been looking for as our next number 9 but at least Sheerin's having a proper look at them first as you never know they could suit the way he wants to play. They're both still relatively young aswell. Just don't feel their attributes would do much to improve us. Wilson obviously showed at Rothes he has goals in him but for Dumbarton last season I don't remember him ever being a threat. 

Like Rocco says we just have to wait and trust Sheerin's judgement on the next few signings. 

Edited by FFC 1876

4 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Weird that we seem to have a left back in on trial when we have Mccann, Sneddon and Dixon who can all play there currently. Hopefully the centre back number 5 showed up well as I'd hate to think of Hall being our first replacement in there.

Jaime Wilson and John Robertson aren't exactly what we as fans have been looking for as our next number 9 but at least Sheerin's having a proper look at them first as you never know they could suit the way he wants to play. They're both still relatively young aswell. Just don't feel their attributes would do much to improve us. Wilson obviously showed at Rothes he has goals in him but for Dumbarton last season I don't remember him ever being a threat. 

Like Rocco says we just have to wait and trust Sheerin's judgement on the next few signings. 

I’ll be astonished if Sneddon is anywhere near the first team squad next season. He’s highly likely to go out on loan I think.

11 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Those trialist names will not get us out of this league. Not a chance. If that’s the level of player we’re looking at we may as well pack it in. 

But that is our level now.  We are now much of a muchness, and most likely looking at reaching the playoffs with the same likelihood as about half the teams in the League.  

(But Deans doesn't think any BoD resignations or £££ support "would have helped the club", so that's alright then).  Tragic.  Utterly tragic. 

Also noticed as part of the Q&A they said the scouting network was set up in Scotland and will be expanded to England and Ireland but I'd imagine that won't be until we get promoted. Which is where you need a DOF with contacts and friends everywhere which by the way Holt conducts himself I doubt he has.

The exe Ipswich boy can play centre mid or left back according to reports. I'd have very little sympathy for deans if he ends up I'll through this. The guy was given the chance to stand down in recent weeks but made the decision to plough on so on his own head be it 

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The exe Ipswich boy can play centre mid or left back according to reports. I'd have very little sympathy for deans if he ends up I'll through this. The guy was given the chance to stand down in recent weeks but made the decision to plough on so on his own head be it 

See I don't think it's him as according to reports online the ex Ipswich boy is 5ft 7 and from the photo's the number 5 doesn't look 5ft 7. Could be that the reports online are wrong though as it's a very random name to pull out the hat. Looks as if he came on for Dixon and played as the left sided centre back with another trialist replacing Mccann at left back. 

1 hour ago, Peter LaFleur said:

Aye. If the next 4 signings are strong it makes the Seb Ross signing more acceptable as someone with potential Sheerin believes he can develop. But if we see 3/4 signings of that ilk then we are in major trouble. Terrified to see Wilson announced next week.

On another note, Deans for me should be gone. I was yelling at my screen as he came away with being scared of M&M’s recruitment last season. So were we but you were in a position to step in and do something about it. 

That's my fear, we end up with another four or five of the same Ilk as Francis, then we are stuffed, I'm not convinced the majority of players brought in are anything other than ok if you add another half a dozen dugshite ones to that then we will be in exactly the same boat as we were last season. 

9 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

See I don't think it's him as according to reports online the ex Ipswich boy is 5ft 7 and from the photo's the number 5 doesn't look 5ft 7. Could be that the reports online are wrong though as it's a very random name to pull out the hat. Looks as if he came on for Dixon and played as the left sided centre back with another trialist replacing Mccann at left back. 

Looks very like him in pics.

2 hours ago, Peter LaFleur said:

On another note, Deans for me should be gone. I was yelling at my screen as he came away with being scared of M&M’s recruitment last season. So were we but you were in a position to step in and do something about it. 

Interesting change of tack on the situation at Board level. Next we will have Pedro having a pop at GD as well. Once Banta voices his concern, we know GD has really fallen out of favour.

Guest Peter LaFleur
6 hours ago, Zbairn said:

Interesting change of tack on the situation at Board level. Next we will have Pedro having a pop at GD as well. Once Banta voices his concern, we know GD has really fallen out of favour.

My views on Deans and Holt have been consistent throughout. 

It struck me that the boredom and contempt that Holt showed to fans at the Q&A is exactly the same attitude the authorities show towards fans on the Colt teams issue. It's something that seems to be quite common with "football people".

It struck me that the boredom and contempt that Holt showed to fans at the Q&A is exactly the same attitude the authorities show towards fans on the Colt teams issue. It's something that seems to be quite common with "football people".
Yeah, it's an odd one isn't it. The Colts issue seems to be "we know best" despite the fans being the people who will be expected to pay to watch development teams. Outside of the old firm almost everyone is against them and it's our money funding the game so why is it even an issue anymore?

35 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:
1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

Yeah, it's an odd one isn't it. The Colts issue seems to be "we know best" despite the fans being the people who will be expected to pay to watch development teams. Outside of the old firm almost everyone is against them and it's our money funding the game so why is it even an issue anymore?

The fact that they are discussing it for league 2 before the trial in the lowland league has even started frankly just shows the contempt that they have for the fans of lower league clubs in Scotland.  They just will not take feck off for an answer. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
35 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The fact that they are discussing it for league 2 before the trial in the lowland league has even started frankly just shows the contempt that they have for the fans of lower league clubs in Scotland.  They just will not take feck off for an answer. 

Everybody and their dog could see that’s exactly what they were going to do. The fact their even attempting it before it begins shows their sheer arrogance.

It starts as a venture which is apparently for the better of Scottish football- yet still no evidence as to why this will be beneficial other than the big clubs around Europe have them, the best players come from the big clubs and the big countries have successful international teams. This doesn’t change the fact that the big clubs and countries have remained pretty much the same regardless and the best players have mainly came from the best clubs,  B teams or not. Funny thing is too that we have better players now than ever playing at the top so how was that possible without this new structure in place!?

All this is about us pandering once again to the Old Firm to give them another pathway to take the best talent in Scotland 

It will start with the ceiling of the lowland league, then league 2, league 1 and the Championship. It will start with paying money, then nothing. A limit on older players then many more. A limit on foreign players then more again. 

Essentially it will just become a reserve team and instead of languishing in the actual reserves, they will be stuck there instead with the opportunity to acquire more of the best talent. 

11 minutes ago, JustLuvinThepian said:

John Robertson has been playing for Leith Athletic in the LEAFA league. I spoke to one of the managers in that league and he says he is a class act that scores for fun

Strong Leith connections clearly coming from Ian Fergus. To be fair he should be scoring for fun at that level it's not even the top end of the juniors.