The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

My worry is that Sheerin has been working with boys for too long and who appear "superstars" at that level, but then when we bring them in they are boys against men. Ruben Sammut, Kai Fotheringham types.

We cannot again rely too much on loan deals and not one of our own signings to date has given me any hope for this season ahead.

We really need a "thinking outside the box" signing a la Stainrod to lift the fans and the club and inspire the players.

Does anybody have Jim Jefferies' phone number? He might have somebody in his little black book.

Loans dominated in our league last season. Neilson for example was a massive improvement on what we had even though he was only 18. Fotheringham there was a player there we just needed too much from him too soon and he still has a bit of developing to do physically.

Stokes, Jakubiak, Nelson, Rudden, Kellor Davis Dunn, Neilson, Mcmanus.

Just because we haven't used the loan market effectively for years doesn't mean we should avoid it this season. We haven't used the permanent signing market correctly for years either. 

Guest Peter LaFleur
11 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Loans dominated in our league last season. Neilson for example was a massive improvement on what we had even though he was only 18. Fotheringham there was a player there we just needed too much from him too soon and he still has a bit of developing to do physically.

Just because we haven't used the loan market effectively for years doesn't mean we should avoid it this season. We haven't used the permanent signing market correctly for years either. 

Agreed. Even looking at players other teams in our league recruited through the loan market: Jack Hamilton, Chris Mochrie, Cammy Ballanytne, Kieran Wright and Scott Tiffoney would have all strolled into our starting 11 last season. Neilson I'd have back in a heartbeat but I wouldn't touch Fotheringham. There may be a player in there but he's miles off being good enough just yet.

Edited by Peter LaFleur

Guest Ecosse83
31 minutes ago, brokeville said:

A few alarm bells ringing regarding the new shirt sponsor Clarke Epos. Anyone any idea what the deal is, money up front etc?

There will be a few willing to have a guess based on a wee Google search on the internet but ultimately no one has a clue what the deal is! 

It’s just another moan for the sake of having a moan. 

5 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

There will be a few willing to have a guess based on a wee Google search on the internet but ultimately no one has a clue what the deal is! 

It’s those pesky Ayr United supporters that have started this, but good to know anyone voicing concerns are doing so just to have a moan.

That’s a relief.

57 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Aye, you're probably right, I suppose I'm just angry and venting that we're having to go begging for scraps off "bigger" teams.

Nothing screams "diddy" and "know your place" more than the team being full of loan players.

I don't mind it quite so much if we're getting them from down south but when the likes of Motherwell and Kilmarnock (just picked 2 at random, no offence) are lording it over us - YEUCH!

Edited by Bairn in Exile

6 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Aye, you're probably right, I suppose I'm just angry and venting that we're having to go begging for scraps off "bigger" teams.

Nothing screams "diddy" and "know your place" more than the team being full of loan players.

I don't mind it quite so much if we're getting them from down south but when the likes of Motherwell and Kilmarnock (just picked 2 at random, no offence) are lording it over us - YEUCH!

I'd much rather see us bring in a young promising player on loan that we can see is here to better themselves and better us at the same time than a haddy that's banded about club to club. Brad Mckay for example. 

We don't have the luxury of bringing our own players through at the moment so there's no sour grapes in bringing other teams youngsters in to improve the team. They need to actually be capable of improving the team and as Sheerin has been working in the u20's for a fair few years he should have spotted a few good options to bring in. Also adds a bit of energy to the team and is key in areas that are hard to recruit permanently ie upfront or a goalkeeper as we saw with PJ Morrison last season.

We'll hopefully get back to cultivating our own breed of youngsters soon but for now I'm more than happy for us to be warming up other clubs seeds and reaping the benefits as we do.

43 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

It’s those pesky Ayr United supporters that have started this, but good to know anyone voicing concerns are doing so just to have a moan.

That’s a relief.

That might well be the case. Its strange that there was no real announcment from our BoD regarding this. Clare Epos only started in business in August 2020 so seems strange to be a main sponsor of a football club so early.

Unless of course theres nothing up front and a deal full of promises!

Guest Peter LaFleur
10 minutes ago, brokeville said:

That might well be the case. Its strange that there was no real announcment from our BoD regarding this. Clare Epos only started in business in August 2020 so seems strange to be a main sponsor of a football club so early.

Unless of course theres nothing up front and a deal full of promises!

There was a news article on the website and a social media post regarding it. I’m not sure what other kind of ‘real’ announcement you’re looking for?

Edited by Peter LaFleur

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Undisclosed fee.

So you don't know if it's zero or £600,000

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

The youngster loans are all very much a gamble but Fotheringham was worse than Leitch last season and Neilson would've been fine if we stuck him at right back, when moved to centre half was found wanting.

No coincidence that two of your examples in your list of previous loans were our highest paid players whilst on loan to us. I had wondered if Jakubiak would be in Dundee's plans this season like McManus wasn't in Ross County's after promotion.

6 minutes ago, MrDust said:

So you don't know if it's zero or £600,000

The youngster loans are all very much a gamble but Fotheringham was worse than Leitch last season and Neilson would've been fine if we stuck him at right back, when moved to centre half was found wanting.

No coincidence that two of your examples in your list of previous loans were our highest paid players whilst on loan to us. I had wondered if Jakubiak would be in Dundee's plans this season like McManus wasn't in Ross County's after promotion.

They've given him the squad number 7 which to me says he'll be getting a game. As I had thought the same as you. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
2 hours ago, Ecosse83 said:

It’s important sometimes to do a little research. It helped with Mark Campbell and it helped with those Ayr fans who were skeptics when Hugh Clarke tried to buy them. They were ultimately proven correct too. Funny reading their thread as there are similar people like yourself having a pop to those who were a little cynical. 

I did a little research and the signs aren’t great but that doesn’t automatically mean there’s something dodgy. I’ll put down what I’ve found and you can judge for yourself.

He had 4 previous companies. Each one started and was struck off within a 2 year period and didn’t appear to trade or file accounts. The company Restoraroof sponsored many things included Ayr whom he then tried to buy.  3 of these companies were formed using a company called Cosec. That is a company that exists to create SLPs and was included in several investigations to many money laundering schemes from Eastern Europe. Again that doesn’t necessarily mean the guy who owned Cosec knew about it(he said so himself) or that there’s any connection to Hugh Clarke.

This latest company began in August last year. They have been throwing money in sponsorship to Go Radio, St.Mirren and sponsor our shirt and Whitlett Juniors. CD apparently paid more than £30k/year to be our sponsors. There is no sign as to where the company makes money. It is ran from an office in Eurocentral and the 1 review on it’s Facebook page is from an employee. The website still isn’t up and running and the Twitter and FB pages are poorly run and the vast majority of posts are about things they sponsor as opposed to how the business is run. 

When Ayr fans criticised him, a new poster appeared claiming to know HC and threatened one of those who criticised him. Again this does not mean the guy had anything to do with it. 

This guy has made it clear he wants to own a football club so he may just have had a string of failed businesses that somehow made him enough money to buy a club and that somehow didn’t appear to trade. I’m not sure but I am definitely concerned.

Another worry is that the Rawlins can increase their stake holding to 45% at any time. Interestingly the exact number of shares the board bought in from the previous MSG coupled with the Rawlins and a guy called John Bonner(pal of Phil’s who bought 62,500 shares) would get them just over 50% of the voting rights. They want to make money and if they did this then, with the help of the board, they could sell to whoever they wanted.

If this guy was able to stump up enough cash then who knows. Could be a genuinely good guy though but does seem to have an odd business history and the new one looks to follow in the same vein.

Edited by Caractacus Potts

Guest Peter LaFleur
5 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Has Dobbie signed for anyone since he left QoS?? 

AFC Flyde. I think they are local to where he lives.

5 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Morrison is number 7 this season. From an overheard conversation yesterday, I believe Ross will be 16. 

Sorry BB I was on about Jakubiak at Dundee. Ross was also number 16 at Cove so he must like the number. Any number 9's coming in?

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Sorry BB I was on about Jakubiak at Dundee. Ross was also number 16 at Cove so he must like the number. Any number 9's coming in?

Ah right, sorry. I'm not aware of anything imminent about number 9s but obviously if I were I couldn't comment. It's a given that two will arrive to replace Sammon & Francis though. As I think I posted on FB, strikers always seem to be the last to be recruited, particularly if they come in on loan as many of our recent ones have. 

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

They've given him the squad number 7 which to me says he'll be getting a game. As I had thought the same as you. 

Squad numbers don't mean you will be playing 😃 I suppose it will depend on the Dundee incoming transfers. A lot of players are in front of him with the current squad so wouldn't be surprised if he was on the move again.