The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Information required from club historians.

Just heard that Derek Haston has died - approx. 60.

Am I  correct in saying that he was a fringe player with us. Left back, I think?

He played for us once only 1978-79 in the Stirlingshire Cup.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn
mistake

4 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

If Colin's running this that means his beloved Hibs obviously aren't playing that night.

What a pile of crud  though. It's obvious they do not want it to be any sort of debate but simply an enforcing of the party line where they can say whatever they want without being questioned upon it by those that can actually corroborate their answers or not. Complete farce.

Colin McFarlane was an uppity, cheeky little shite when he was around 12 years old. He is the son of a very good friend of mine (who many people on this board will know) who I had being going to Brockville with since the mid 70s. Colin used to give his dad a hard time at the game with his petulance and, again at around 12, he decided he was going to support Hibs, simply to annoy his faither. He bought a scarf and everything!! :o

After about a season or so he came back and, as far as I'm aware (and I would have heard otherwise if this was any different) he has supported Falkirk ever since. Has he been to a Hibs match since? No idea, but it's entirely possible as I think he worked in Edinburgh so may know some Hibs fans?

I went to a Stenhousemuir v Forfar match a couple of seasons ago and I also went to a Celtic v St Mirren game in 19 canteen with my pals from the pub. Again - :o.

Everyone knows you like to moan Shadwell but you've taken it up a notch in the past few weeks because you now seem to be 'ITK'. Somebody's feeding you information (which may indeed be correct?) but you're swallowing and regurgitating it with gusto!

I understand your motives in trying to get the Rawlins and BOD out and the fans group in but you (and some others) are going about it the wrong way. Your tone is far too aggressive and abusive. If we're going to be successful in getting a fans buy-in we need to engage with the BOD and Rawlins rather than argue with them. Don't you agree?

24 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

The season before last we signed David McMillan and Declan McManus. Sure McMillan didn’t work out perfectly for us, but he’d scored goals everywhere he’d been before us. McManus was superb. To suggest all we can do is fish around in League 2 for a 19 year old is wrong imo 

Okay that is a valid point. The point I was making is a consistent striker scoring 15-20 goals a season isn’t going to come to us. Yes McManus had a good record in League 1, however, his two seasons in the Championship weren’t great goal scoring records. McMillan didn’t have a great record in Scotland, hence why he ended up on loan to a league 1 club. 

28 minutes ago, Hannibal Lecturer said:

You really are talking out your arse. Colin went to see hibs as a young boy (to annoy his dad) , over 20 years ago furfucksake.  

Aye we all do that kind of thing. I think I'll go and watch Ayr United to piss mine off this season.😂😂😂

1 minute ago, Rocco said:

Okay that is a valid point. The point I was making is a consistent striker scoring 15-20 goals a season isn’t going to come to us. Yes McManus had a good record in League 1, however, his two seasons in the Championship weren’t great goal scoring records. McMillan didn’t have a great record in Scotland, hence why he ended up on loan to a league 1 club. 

Surely this is why we brought the Rawlins on board. So we're not.just fishing in the same small pond looking for players. Deans highlighted his contacts and connections as being invaluable so when are we actually going to see them in action?

41 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Agreed he looked every bit a lower league player. I'm not convinced by him at all, he's still young enough obviously, if we do keep him he needs to improve massively this season but as been mentioned he isn't going to score a lot.  Big question mark over Keena too but more so can he keep fit. He showed in fleeting glimpses he can finish. But I certainly wouldn't be relying on either of them 

Dowds is 25 this year, he's past the still developing stage imo. 

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Yeah he's a squad player inmho. Can create hold the ball up but not going to get you a pile of goals.

Judging by those pre season photos just released he looks like he needs a fitness programme too. Not judging too much as looks can be deceiving - he may be one of fittest in the squad, who knows 

9 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Judging by those pre season photos just released he looks like he needs a fitness programme too. Not judging too much as looks can be deceiving - he may be one of fittest in the squad, who knows 

To be fair he’s a stalky lad so I would judge him on his shape. I did notice that he is wearing number 19 in the photos so I scan only assume 10 has been given to someone else. 

25 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Surely this is why we brought the Rawlins on board. So we're not.just fishing in the same small pond looking for players. Deans highlighted his contacts and connections as being invaluable so when are we actually going to see them in action?

Probably not till we’re back in the Championship. We won’t take any loans from down south as we’d have to pay for accommodation 

22 minutes ago, Rocco said:

To be fair he’s a stalky lad so I would judge him on his shape. I did notice that he is wearing number 19 in the photos so I scan only assume 10 has been given to someone else. 

Nesbitt wearing 10.

23 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Probably not till we’re back in the Championship. We won’t take any loans from down south as we’d have to pay for accommodation 

The guys supposed to be loaded and yet he won't pay up a few quid for digs? What do we actually get out of him being on our bod?

Information required from club historians.
Just heard that Derek Haston has died - approx. 60.
Am I  correct in saying that he was a fringe player with us. Left back, I think?
Think he did Dodger was a great player and a nice person from a great family. Taken far too young

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

If we're going to be successful in getting a fans buy-in we need to engage with the BOD and Rawlins rather than argue with them. Don't you agree?

Normally, I'd echo this point wholeheartedly but right now I'm not sure I do agree that engagement with the current board is possible.

I know pretty much all of the people involved with the Crunchie Initiative and others who have worked with the club in the past (dating all the way back to the original Back the Bairns).  This current board has some of the most disingenuous characters I've ever come across on it.  In previous posts, I've talked about how more than one member of the current board has done its best to gaslight both these fans initiatives and the supporters.

With regards to the CI specifically, I've had numerous conversations with the people involved where they've told me about what was agreed in discussions with the club  and where they felt they were making progress.  Then shortly afterwards, members of the board would deny that any such agreement had been made and the people involved with the CI were incorrect in having made such assumptions.  I've heard about phone calls where members of the board would yell down the phone only to later fall back upon the line that 'mistakes have been made on both sides'.  They've sought to create divisions within the CI by saying they'd no longer deal with certain members who they said they could no longer work with.  I've seen emails where the tone fell way below what I would expect from anyone writing in even a semi-professional capacity.   All this has exerted a considerable mental toll on some of the people involved in the Initiative.  Fans who thought this would be a galvanising experience and something the whole club could rally behind have been left hugely disillusioned.

With regards to the fans communications side of things, my posts over the past couple of days have made clear what I think of them.   The Season Ticket refund statement was shocking and potentially in breach of trading standards.  It was designed to make any fan that asked for a refund feel like they were somehow responsible for any prospective failings on the pitch.  The e-mail posted earlier regarding the Q&A was filled with such nonsense it's hard to know where to begin.  Again, they have put a club volunteer in an invidious position.  It's not enough to just say, "oh we know Lewis and are sure he'll ask us really tough questions".  That's a total dereliction of duty towards a de facto employee.  I'm sure Lewis will approach it in a professional fashion, and indeed might even be relishing it, but it shouldn't be a decision he had to make.

None of this would necessarily means that a complete and radical overhaul is needed (despite some of my earlier 'rip it up and start again' hyperbolic posts 😀).  My initial optimism about the Rawlins' investment has been severely tempered by the dismissive tone which they've dealt with supporters in some of the messages I've seen and the fact they seem to have achieved total control with a relatively small investment and minority shareholding.  They really should have given fans more clarity about their intentions by now and would be concerned that the mooted follow-up investment hasn't appeared.  I agree with some on here that the proposed fans consortium's initial demands were probably a bit steep, but the follow-up offer detailed by @Back Post Misses appeared eminently reasonable.  Arguments that it is incompatible with the Rawlins' objectives seem strange to me when we've not been told what those objectives are.  I think the changes they suggested to the BoD were perfectly reasonable.  The fact that these were rejected out of hand in a fairly contemptuous fashion, and all my previous points, are why I'm sceptical about the possibility for engagement with the board.  I don't think they actually want any - at least not any that causes them any potential difficulty or threatens their positions.

Where does that leave us?  I'm fairly resigned at this point to the fact we're going to just have to let this play out.  I hope it ends up with a successful and stable FFC in the Premier League; I'm worried that any future fans consortium won't be injecting money to support the club but instead to save it.