The Falkirk FC Thread

38 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

Come on now guys. Enough is enough with this patter. 

BPM, myself & others on here no doubt have known that family long enough to know that’s nonsense. I’ve been to watch Swansea a number of times, does that mean I’m not a Falkirk fan?

There's a big difference between watching a side a few times and watching them for a whole season though especially when they are another Scottish side.

5 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Hello All,

I received a reply from the club and I requested permission to share the email online in its entirety and this request was granted.

Here it is below:

Dear Bairn in Exile,

Thanks for your email into the Club regarding the upcoming Q&A session.  You emailed a few of the staff so I thought it would be easier for me to respond on behalf of everyone.

We gave a lot of consideration to the format of the Q&A session and in an ideal world we would have welcomed the opportunity to deliver the event at the Stadium in front of a live audience – however COVID restrictions have made that near impossible.  The next best option would have been to hold an online Zoom, however there are several downsides to doing this.  Firstly, it comes at additional cost to do a live webinar.  Secondly, creating an ‘open’ Zoom where anyone can attend and interact has its downsides. How do we know the individuals present are Falkirk fans?  How can we stop them if they decide to disrupt the event and thus force it to be postponed or cancelled?  In our view this seemed a needless risk to take. You also mentioned transparency, but that works both ways and an online and publicly accessible forum means that individuals can join anonymously, and we have no transparency on who is asking us questions.

Therefore, we have decided that having a recorded Zoom session that will be available to all fans to watch at a time of their choosing would be the best and most appropriate option.  Asking fans to submit questions in advance via email also ensures we can have a range of views and questions posed on the night and not just of those who are able to attend.  We will group the questions under the key headings and will ensure that all topics are covered.

Regarding your point about Lewis Connolly, I understand your concerns and we have discussed this with Lewis.  He - and we - are comfortable that he will not be “soft” with us!  As you will know Lewis has been in and around the Club for several years and is familiar with the background to many of the issues that are likely to be discussed at the Q&A.  We feel it is important to have someone in that role who not only knows the context and history but has enough knowledge to pose follow-up questions as and when required. He has an open brief and we will reiterate to him that he can dig as deep as he wants.

Lewis is primarily there to read out the questions that have been submitted by fans.  He has no editorial control over the questions, other than to filter out ones which are repetitive or abusive.  I am sure you will appreciate that many fans are likely to submit the same questions, so we need a capable host who is able to ensure that we do not spend the entire night discussing and answering the same questions over and over.  Lewis is undoubtedly the best candidate for the role.

You may be aware that we asked shareholders and fans to submit questions in advance of the last AGM and EGM and this was a system that worked well.  In both cases we were able to answer the vast majority of questions on the night and have no reason to suspect this will not be the case next week.

I understand there is scepticism, however the purpose of the Q&A is for the Board, Sporting Director and Head Coach to answer fans' questions on whatever topics are submitted.  We are not trying to hide or deflect questions in any way – if we were then we wouldn’t hold the Q&A.  We do hope the Q&A will be approached and used in the spirit it is intended and hope you will submit questions.  I hope you will see at that we are not avoiding the difficult issues – in fact, we will be tackling them head-on!

Best wishes,

Colin McFarlane

Don’t shoot the messenger.

I then followed up this email with another of my own where I then gave my point of view to the answers that I received and, long story short, in further email exchanges, we had to agree to disagree on a couple of points.

The Q&A session will be going ahead in its proposed format and so I will now be submitting my questions to Colin / Lewis in the hope that at least one of them will be selected on the night.

Colin comes across as a decent bloke so out of respect to him I will, for the next week or so, bite my tongue here on P&B until after the Q&A session has been aired.

A complete and utter shambles of a statement that just reinforces the opaqueness at the club.

.....and this is considered to be written by a PR guy trying to get fans back onside? 

Guest Caractacus Potts
41 minutes ago, GeordieBairn said:

I totally agree with the majority said about the board. When you read them every day it tends to become tedious. To be fair it makes you enjoy the actual football chat more.

The opportunity to moan about the football will come soon enough. 😆 

The opportunity to moan about the football will come soon enough. [emoji38] 
Hope so! Would put anyone off football reading the moans on here!
I think there's a lot of valid points about the board though which should be discussed but I'd like to suggest again having a separate thread to discuss it so that people interested in football don't have to wade through it everyday to get actual football chat.

Guest Caractacus Potts
45 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

3 people in 30mins accuse him & others on the board of not supporting the club. I don’t believe it or buy it. Other than Rawlins & Deans I mean, who I very much doubt was ever a Falkirk supporter. 

I only seen one person accuse him!? 

It is intriguing but quite frankly I’m more concerned about their ability to do a good job than who they support. Let’s not turn our attention away from what are clearly ridiculous reasonings for not hosting a live Q and A. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
43 minutes ago, joozy said:

Who cares about the Hibs thing anyway?  I've no reason to believe or have even seen any evidence that he is a Hibs fan (as far as I'm aware he's been a pretty regular ST holder at Falkirk) and, even if he was, the only thing that should matter is his competence as a director.  

The main focus should be that the email he sent to @Bairn in Exile is a complete and utter minter of a statement.   It's just another example of the board trying to gaslight the fans.

This^^^

Guest Caractacus Potts
5 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Hope so! Would put anyone off football reading the moans on here!
I think there's a lot of valid points about the board though which should be discussed but I'd like to suggest again having a separate thread to discuss it so that people interested in football don't have to wade through it everyday to get actual football chat.

I can understand your POV and a couple of years ago I would say the same but like I said I’ve had enough and want real change. The governance of a club is just as important if not more so to ensure stability and hopefully a good team on the park. Maybe need to start a separate FFC football thread? 😉 

We need a few. I see Billy McKay has rejoined ICT he would score a barrowload in this league,  exactly the type of striker we need. 
I think the next few signings will tell us what we're really in for this season. Right now the starting XI especially at fullback looks better but a huge improvement is needed. I wonder if we're going to be pinning our hopes on Keena as our main striker again, got to hope last year's struggles were down to fitness.

6 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

We need a few. I see Billy McKay has rejoined ICT he would score a barrowload in this league,  exactly the type of striker we need. 

Probably at home up there especially at 32 so we most likely never had a chance with that one. Dapo Mebude or Ruari Paton is a more reasonable prospect. We have the big target man who can hold the ball in Dowds, we have the penalty box poacher in Keena. We need someone who's going to provide something different, someone who'll run the channels and create aswell as score a fair few himself. 

5 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

I think the next few signings will tell us what we're really in for this season. Right now the starting XI especially at fullback looks better but a huge improvement is needed. I wonder if we're going to be pinning our hopes on Keena as our main striker again, got to hope last year's struggles were down to fitness.

It would be a massive gamble relying on someone who hasnt had much of a career really so far having played less than 50 first team games in the last 4 years and hit one goal last season  though. We need two decent strikers in for the coming season as dowds doesn't look like a 15 to 20 goals a season man.  Sheerin/Holt/Rawlins need to unearth a couple of good ones or we'll struggle again.

9 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Probably at home up there especially at 32 so we most likely never had a chance with that one. Dapo Mebude or Ruari Paton is a more reasonable prospect. We have the big target man who can hold the ball in Dowds, we have the penalty box poacher in Keena. We need someone who's going to provide something different, someone who'll run the channels and create aswell as score a fair few himself. 

Personally I’d be looking to move Dowds on if he’s still under contract. He did very little last season to show he’s good enough for full time football.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It would be a massive gamble relying on someone who hasnt had much of a career really so far having played less than 50 first team games in the last 4 years and hit one goal last season  though. We need two decent strikers in for the coming season as dowds doesn't look like a 15 to 20 goals a season man.  Sheerin/Holt/Rawlins need to unearth a couple of good ones or we'll struggle again.

Back to this old shite. Are decent strikers who are guaranteed to get you 15-20 goals out there looking for clubs? In case you’re not sure, the answer is no. We are a league 1 team so we will be signing strikers with potential and hoping they kick on

4 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Personally I’d be looking to move Dowds on if he’s still under contract. He did very little last season to show he’s good enough for full time football.

Agreed he looked every bit a lower league player. I'm not convinced by him at all, he's still young enough obviously, if we do keep him he needs to improve massively this season but as been mentioned he isn't going to score a lot.  Big question mark over Keena too but more so can he keep fit. He showed in fleeting glimpses he can finish. But I certainly wouldn't be relying on either of them 

13 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Back to this old shite. Are decent strikers who are guaranteed to get you 15-20 goals out there looking for clubs? In case you’re not sure, the answer is no. We are a league 1 team so we will be signing strikers with potential and hoping they kick on

Like Aidan Keena and Anton Dowds, you mean? That worked out well for us, didn't it?

Although I am a bit of a hypocrite, I'd like us to sign Ruari Paton together with an older, experienced striker.

Edited by Bairn in Exile

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

If Colin's running this that means his beloved Hibs obviously aren't playing that night.

What a pile of crud  though. It's obvious they do not want it to be any sort of debate but simply an enforcing of the party line where they can say whatever they want without being questioned upon it by those that can actually corroborate their answers or not. Complete farce.

You really are talking out your arse. Colin went to see hibs as a young boy (to annoy his dad) , over 20 years ago furfucksake.  

8 minutes ago, Rocco said:

The season before last we signed David McMillan and Declan McManus. Sure McMillan didn’t work out perfectly for us, but he’d scored goals everywhere he’d been before us. McManus was superb. To suggest all we can do is fish around in League 2 for a 19 year old is wrong imo