The Falkirk FC Thread

Do you think McGuffie and Nesbitt will be decent signings for League One? Can't imagine they were starting many games for yourselves last year if they were C team players but there is a gulf between the two leagues.
Mcguffie scored a few great goals but generally went missing on the pitch whenever he got some game time. Nesbitt looks like there's a player in there somewhere on the surface but when you really step back and look he's got absolutely no end product.

They were arguably our two most creative players on paper, however the fact we had the least creative football team in the history of football and neither was a guaranteed starter at different points in the season tells you how much they contributed to matches.

Worse sand dancing wingers than them have flourished in league one though so I wouldn't be at all surprised if at least one of them had a successful season.

I’m not generally a pessimist about players we sign however I’m finding it very hard to get excited about the bunch we have signed up. Seems to be largely the same approach as we’ve taken over the past couple of years, being players that will “do a job” in League 1 i.e. were inconsistent in the Championship.

Going off what has been said above, I’d be surprised if McGuffie and Nesbit will be consistent performers for us and not just turn in 1 good game in 5, which we have had plenty of recently. Can probably add Telfer and to an extent Morrison to that bracket too, which leaves us with very little consistent creativity. 

McKay and Hall at centre half isn’t particularly inspiring either. Hetherington is a good signing imo but not convinced by the rest. Obviously will give them a chance before I completely make my mind up however. And before anyone says it - obviously the signings we attract are a result of our current standing in the middle of League 1, but you would hope that wouldn’t mean we can’t push the boat out a bit and get in promising young players like McCann who have something to prove. 

50 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

So, you reckon everything is under control?  Not offering up STs or addressing Trading Standards issues less than a week before pre-season training is ok?

The timing obviously isn’t ideal, but as I don’t know the reason for the delay I wouldn’t offer an opinion on it. The same applies to trading standards wrt refunds.

My guess is that we’ll do the same as everyone else in League One. I picked Montrose and had a trawl through their website but couldn’t find anything about refunds. Do you know what other L1 clubs have offered?

4 minutes ago, matthew1876 said:

I’m not generally a pessimist about players we sign however I’m finding it very hard to get excited about the bunch we have signed up. Seems to be largely the same approach as we’ve taken over the past couple of years, being players that will “do a job” in League 1 i.e. were inconsistent in the Championship.

Going off what has been said above, I’d be surprised if McGuffie and Nesbit will be consistent performers for us and not just turn in 1 good game in 5, which we have had plenty of recently. Can probably add Telfer and to an extent Morrison to that bracket too, which leaves us with very little consistent creativity. 

McKay and Hall at centre half isn’t particularly inspiring either. Hetherington is a good signing imo but not convinced by the rest. Obviously will give them a chance before I completely make my mind up however. And before anyone says it - obviously the signings we attract are a result of our current standing in the middle of League 1, but you would hope that wouldn’t mean we can’t push the boat out a bit and get in promising young players like McCann who have something to prove. 

At least the majority have experience of league one do should know what it's all about. There shouldn't be any surprised when it's not a walk in the park.

5 minutes ago, matthew1876 said:

You don't get consistent creativity at this level which is why the majority of top performers in our league last season were loans. Ballantyne and Mochrie from Montrose, Tiffoney & Spittal from Thistle, Turner from Airdrie. The reason they are dropping to this level is because they are yet to prove themselves as capable of consistently performing. We're signing them on the basis of knowing there's talent there and now it's up to Sheerin to get that consistency out of them.

Just now, HopeStreetWalker said:

With Kelly leaving its Sneddon's big chance at left back.

If he cannot tie down the position this season in this league what was the point of signing him.

There’s no way Sneddon will be starting at left back. He couldn’t even make the bench last season.

1 minute ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

If he cannot tie down the position this season in this league what was the point of signing him.

I'd like to think Sheerin will take a look at him in preseason but he won't be our first choice left back. Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in the development squad.

2 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

We'll be signing a left back I can assure you of that. Sneddons nowhere near the side at the moment.

52 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Actually think there is a potentially exciting squad in the making here.

I think this is more to do with how we have collectively embraced the Seaside League rather than Holt having laid the foundation of “an exciting squad”.

It’s up to Sheerin to add the unexpected glitter to a group of bang average signings. Already we are clinging onto the whole being more than the sum of its parts.

Every player on our books were identified/signed or resigned are not the choice of Sheerin. I am not saying he isn’t happy with some of them but he is going to be working with a 2/3 of his squad that he did not pick. 
I really hope the last 5/6 we bring in are his choices or I really think he is on a hiding to nothing. 
The hand he is being dealt by Holt will give him lots of slack from me for sure. 

Edited by Back Post Misses