The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Caractacus Potts
22 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Sheerin was very clear in his interview that he has the final say on signings and he has already vetoed a number of the names on Holt’s list.

Can you point out where he said that please? He said he took a couple of players off the list and added a couple but he didn’t say he had the right to veto a signing. In fact, he said the process and profile was put in place before him and fortunately it matches up to his ideas. There was already 2 signed with another 2 to come in. 

Where’s this extra knowledge coming from? 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

Guest Ecosse83
3 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Can you point out where he said that please? He said he took a couple of players off the list and added a couple but he didn’t say he had the right to veto a signing. In fact, he said the process and profile was put in place before him and fortunately it matches up to his ideas. There was already 2 signed with another 2 to come in. 

Where’s this extra knowledge you have coming from? 

Sheerin said deals were already confirmed before he came in so we weren’t left behind but going forward he will ultimately have the final say. It’s all in his interview!

Guest Caractacus Potts
15 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Sheerin said deals were already confirmed before he came in so we weren’t left behind but going forward he will ultimately have the final say. It’s all in his interview!

Thanks, couldn’t mind him saying that. So if that’s correct, presumably he signed Ben Hall? 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

Guest Ecosse83
2 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Thanks, couldn’t mind him saying that. So if that’s correct, presumably he signed Ben Hall? 

Not sure mate. I’d like to think he would have had a say but then again maybe he was offered terms weeks ago and just signed them now. I have no idea the specifics of any of the deals! 

28 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Where’s this extra knowledge coming from? 

It’s not extra knowledge.

He says in the interview explicitly “Ultimately I need to be confident working with players so it will be me who will have the final say.”

50 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Sheerin was very clear in his interview that he has the final say on signings and he has already vetoed a number of the names on Holt’s list.

Where is that information? The only interview I have seen with him certainly had nothing as definitive as that. Do you really believe Sheerin decided to extend Hall’s stay? If so, based on what. I don’t think he has had any meaningful say on any signing up to now. Not a single one.

Just now, Duncan Freemason said:

Where is that information? The only interview I have seen with him certainly had nothing as definitive as that. Do you really believe Sheerin decided to extend Hall’s stay? If so, based on what. I don’t think he has had any meaningful say on any signing up to now. Not a single one.

He couldn’t have been any clearer. He said “Ultimately I need to be confident working with players so it will be me who will have the final say.”

Wrt Hall, I don’t imagine he will have seen him play personally so I’d imagine Holt will have given a view on his strengths and weaknesses.

Sheerin will then have considered that and looked at whether there are better players available and affordable before deciding to offer an extension.

6 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

He couldn’t have been any clearer. He said “Ultimately I need to be confident working with players so it will be me who will have the final say.”

Wrt Hall, I don’t imagine he will have seen him play personally so I’d imagine Holt will have given a view on his strengths and weaknesses.

Sheerin will then have considered that and looked at whether there are better players available and affordable before deciding to offer an extension.

Like I said, I don’t think he has had any say up to now. He also said that Holt Corr and himself have looked at the list they presented him with, and he said he had added a couple of names to the list and “maybe” taken a couple of names off the list. If you reckon that he has had the final say on Ben Hall, that is not encouraging. I reckon he has been dealt that card, and “contract talks” meant he had no way of stopping it happening.

Anyone who has not been in negotiation up to now, then yes, I hope he does have the final say, but Ben Hall says to me that up to now, what we have is 100% Gary Holt.

49 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

It’s not quite as clear as that. A few more grey areas. I just cannot believe that he had the final say on Hall. I mean, what stats could Corr and Holt come up with that made a convincing case for re-signing the guy?
As I said above, he might well the final say on signings from this point forward, but not on anyone up to now.

He also talked about process and due diligence and the Board being new, and all of that was pre-loaded guff, so everything he said wasn’t gospel. We all want him having the final say on players to be right though.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

5 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Like I said, I don’t think he has had any say up to now. He also said that Holt Corr and himself have looked at the list they presented him with, and he said he had added a couple of names to the list and “maybe” taken a couple of names off the list. If you reckon that he has had the final say on Ben Hall, that is not encouraging. I reckon he has been dealt that card, and “contract talks” meant he had no way of stopping it happening.

Anyone who has not been in negotiation up to now, then yes, I hope he does have the final say, but Ben Hall says to me that up to now, what we have is 100% Gary Holt.

The fact that no signings were announced until Sheerin was appointed tells me that he has at least had final sign off on them.

Equally there’d have been no need to wait to announce Telfer and Hall’s contract extensions if it was purely Gary Holt making the decision.

1 minute ago, PedroMoutinho said:

The fact that no signings were announced until Sheerin was appointed tells me that he has at least had final sign off on them.

Equally there’d have been no need to wait to announce Telfer and Hall’s contract extensions if it was purely Gary Holt making the decision.

Come on man, that’s club politics and contract end date stuff.

4 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

It’s not quite as clear as that. A few more grey areas. I just cannot believe that he had the final say on Hall. I mean, what stats could Corr and Holt come up with that made a convincing case for re-signing the guy?
As I said above, he might well the final say on signings from this point forward, but not on anyone up to now.

I don’t think Holt would have put forward any ‘case’ at all. Like any new manager arriving at a club, Sheerin will have sought views from staff at the club on the playing staff (as I would be astonished if he has seen Hall play).

Gary Holt will then have presented an analysis of Hall’s strengths and weaknesses. I imagine Sheerin will then have looked at what else is on the market before making a decision. 

I wouldn’t have chosen to resign Hall but I suspect we will see at least 2 more CBs come in who will likely be ahead in the pecking order.

A lot of people forget coaches like Sheerin will have access to the likes of Wyscout so he’ll have been able to “look” at all the squad before he has arrived and then came to his own conclusions.

To think that any manager/coach goes in blind when taking a new job and relying on the current staff for reports etc is plain silly, he’ll 100% know what he has and who he wants/don’t wants.

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I don’t think Holt would have put forward any ‘case’ at all. Like any new manager arriving at a club, Sheerin will have sought views from staff at the club on the playing staff (as I would be astonished if he has seen Hall play).

Gary Holt will then have presented an analysis of Hall’s strengths and weaknesses. I imagine Sheerin will then have looked at what else is on the market before making a decision. 

I wouldn’t have chosen to resign Hall but I suspect we will see at least 2 more CBs come in who will likely be ahead in the pecking order.

Wouldn't have thought so. I was hoping that McKay was going to be back up behind Dixon and another two newbies. The re-signing of Hall though will probably only see one more CB - if we're lucky.

1 hour ago, Hank von Hell said:

Yeah I think the assumption made is extremely unlikely. What adult footballers are going to want to play in a development squad , and are FFC really going to pay another full team's worth of adult footballer level wages whilst playing friendlies? It's been said this team will not play in any league and will instead play friendlies and exhibition matches - a bit like the Harlem Globetrotters.    

Maybe more like the Globetrotters designated opponents, the Washington Generals. Seems a bit unlikely that there are that many games needing opponents in the area, but maybe there is a plan there…I just don’t see the viability. At least with a youth team there is more turnover in the squad as schedules move around with school, who can make a game and such, which lets you see more possible players to evaluate. With an adult team, it’s pretty much fixed once you start.

The re-signing of Ben Hall has definitely put a dampener on things. 
We are now relying on confirmation of 2 out of the 3 ‘Shadwell signings’ to restore confidence in the squad - Ndaba, McCann, Paton. 
Only then would Liam Brown be regarded as a promising type.

Maybe Sheerin has 3 or 4 loan signing targets in mind (from Aberdeen?) - a common route for League 1 clubs - but they won’t come on board until after League Cup group games.

Worrying times, actually.

6 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

The names of the signings were doing the rounds long before M&M were sacked so stop talking pish 

5 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

He also talked about process and due diligence and the Board being new, and all of that was pre-loaded guff, so everything he said wasn’t gospel. We all want him having the final say on players to be right though.

The Board have been working in the background for 18 months with Deans. He hand picked them. Two were former Patrons who were always keen, even in the BTB days, to get on the Board. They are not new 

Guest Ecosse83
9 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Yeah I agree with you. Up until now it’s Holt but hopefully now Sheerin will have the final say on any new targets.

Telfer and Hall were probably offered terms weeks ago so again Sheerin had no say, that’s just an assumption on my part though!