The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

It's the centre mid for me that's the deal breaker. A left back capable of attacking would be good and obviously we need someone up the top end of the park banging them in but we need someone who can get up and down the park in midfield. Liam Brown sounds like a good option looks like a stereotypical wee ginger glaswegian who'd be horrible to play against. Wee nippy yappy chihuahua type who gets right on your tits. Like Mark Millar when he first joined us.

I thought Heatherington was box to box, or is he more of a sitter a la gomis? If the latter, agreed we need some seriously young energy next to him that’ll basically run about all day for the full season. Legs are so so crucial in this league.

This has also been the point in the transfer window previously when we’ve failed. Alston signed for that role last year (he couldn’t run). Gary Miller previously. Holt’s time to shine (or is it? Is it up to Sheerin now he’s in the door?)

22 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

So 13 of a squad now with Kelly and Connolly still possibly re-signing. There's better out there than Kelly but I'd happily keep a fully fit Connolly. 

Mutch
Williamson Mckay Dixon New
New Hetherington
Nesbitt Telfer Morrison
New

Subs:
Keena
Dowds
Miller
Hall
Sneddon(unless he's off to the development team)

We still need legs in the middle of the park which we've needed for the last few seasons.  Winger wise if Connolly re-signs and Mcguffie has actually signed then we're sorted. 4 decent options, obviously assuming Morrison is still here come August. Telfer showed last season he can play in the middle of the park but I'd have him as the ten with someone more box to box in beside Hetherington. Sheerin if i'm right in my thinking played in the middle of the park so surely he'll get it sorted out.

Dixon is 35 in November and just coming off a bad injury . I wouldn't want to have to rely on him to keep hall out the side over a season.

2 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

I thought Heatherington was box to box, or is he more of a sitter a la gomis? If the latter, agreed we need some seriously young energy next to him that’ll basically run about all day for the full season. Legs are so so crucial in this league.

This has also been the point in the transfer window previously when we’ve failed. Alston signed for that role last year (he couldn’t run). Gary Miller previously. Holt’s time to shine (or is it? Is it up to Sheerin now he’s in the door?)

2 goals and 13 bookings and a red card in 31 appearances last season would suggest he's very much a defensive midfielder.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Jaime Wilson has apparently knocked back our contract and instead has taken up an offer of a trial at Falkirk. Really surprised tbh, really can't see Wilson doing enough to win a deal. 

Could be the development side mind you.

19 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

2 goals and 13 bookings and a red card in 31 appearances last season would suggest he's very much a defensive midfielder.

Scotland used to be full of these 5'7'' buzzing in your face players that played at a high tempo all through the game aka Jim Shirra. Every team had one or two in a side,

Maybe these style of players are frowned on in children , youth football.

Looking over the past few pages and others projected teams I may be in the minority here but I would like another keeper. I'm not saying Mutch is a bad keeper and it may have been the shitshow defence in front of him but I feel he is still young and rather that being No.1 with a younger back up a spell of him being back up to a better more experienced keeper would do him good.

19 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Scotland used to be full of these 5'7'' buzzing in your face players that played at a high tempo all through the game aka Jim Shirra. Every team had one or two in a side,

Maybe these style of players are frowned on in children , youth football.

Im not sure football allows these types of players these days unfortunately.  Your Billy Bremner type players would have to curb their games totally in the modern game.  It's far too sterile these days , non contact , too easy for the skillful players.  The battle between the skillful players and the physical power player has been skewed completely in.thr favour of the former.  A shame because that was one of the great aspects of football .

15 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Looking over the past few pages and others projected teams I may be in the minority here but I would like another keeper. I'm not saying Mutch is a bad keeper and it may have been the shitshow defence in front of him but I feel he is still young and rather that being No.1 with a younger back up a spell of him being back up to a better more experienced keeper would do him good.

Mutch will be our number 1 and the back up will most likely do the coaching as well. But equally I agree the back up needs to be capable of playing and pushing Mutch on to hopefully iron out some of the silly mistakes he made last season.

46 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Jaime Wilson has apparently knocked back our contract and instead has taken up an offer of a trial at Falkirk. Really surprised tbh, really can't see Wilson doing enough to win a deal. 

2 goals and 1 assist in 17 games for you last season. Can't say that makes my mouth water and I also can't remember him from our games against you last season. No thanks.

I also detest the fact his parents couldn't spell Jamie correctly.

Edited by FFC 1876

14 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Aye I'm with BPM on this one backup or not he's shite and the thought of him and Mckay as our centre back pairing is giving me the fear. We shouldn't have to defend in this league as we should be looking to outscore our opposition but it's still a nightmare having those two as options. Brad Mckay I'm obviously being a bit harsh on as we've not seen him play in the navy blue yet.

Hall I would've steered away from but let's remember the cowboys we have had in league one having the best defensive league in the division

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

A couple of good loans to bolster where we're finding it difficult to recruit a bit more quality. Neilson back from Dundee United would be ideal.

We have a manager who should know the talents to improve us with loans from the top league, if we didn't sign Williamson I'd be 100% on Neilson, tho we may have set him back a bit on his development 😋

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Dixon is 35 in November and just coming off a bad injury . I wouldn't want to have to rely on him to keep hall out the side over a season.

League one, Dixon could play centre half for years to come smoking a pack of cigars.

We had the best defensive record in this league with some truly poor players in our defence and bar last season Dixon has not had many injuries for us, a very good pro

13 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

2 goals and 1 assist in 17 games for you last season. Can't say that makes my mouth water and I also can't remember him from our games against you last season. No thanks.

I also detest the fact his parents couldn't spell Jamie correctly.

Most Sons fans are happy to keep him as a back up option as he might be a decent goal scorer in a team that actually creates chances but I don't think he's good enough for a title challenger in this division.

Totally agree on his name. Scandalous. 

Im not sure football allows these types of players these days unfortunately.  Your Billy Bremner type players would have to curb their games totally in the modern game.  It's far too sterile these days , non contact , too easy for the skillful players.  The battle between the skillful players and the physical power player has been skewed completely in.thr favour of the former.  A shame because that was one of the great aspects of football .

Really true however it’s interesting the team I would class as the last really great team was the Barca team that was dominated by Xavi, Iniesta and Messi who were all skilful players.

Its all rather turgid now.

57 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Never got the hype with Mutch, decent and much the same as most keepers in this league. Would definitely be looking at bringing in a serious competitor for this position. 

Mentioned a few days back that Danny Rogers released by Kilmarnock.

Better than Mutch in my opinion.

Bremner was underestimated for his skill in passing and movement off the ball but you make a good point. Archie Gemmell, Alan Ball, David Batty, Asa Hartford were in a similar mould.

All could mix it but my goodness could they play as well.

12 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Bremner was underestimated for his skill in passing and movement off the ball but you make a good point. Archie Gemmell, Alan Ball, David Batty, Asa Hartford were in a similar mould.

All could mix it but my goodness could they play as well.

Kante of Chelsea and France must be one of the finest ever exponents of this type of player.