The Falkirk FC Thread

14 minutes ago, GeordieBairn said:

As long as he's kept as a backup and nothing more its fine, especially on a 1 year deal

The problem with that is the potential that, five minutes into the opening game of the season, your first choice does ligaments or breaks his leg, and we're sentenced to another season of Ben Bombscare Hall. I wouldn't have kept him at all, in any capacity A truly abysmal footballer, appalling positional sense and soft as shite. If it was a straight choice between him and Durnan, I'd probably have gone with the latter. He was terrible in an shite Partick side, barely got a look-in, should never have been signed in the first place. Dumb and Dumber then gave him another year based on nothing and incredibly went into last season with him and Durnan as our only two recognised centre halves, the perfect encapsulation of their cluelessness. He's had another terrible season yet here we are again, stealing a wage for another year. I don't mind the look of some of the signings made to date, but that central defence needs some serious upgrade. I hope we sign at least one proper central defender and play him with Dixon, fitness permitting. If Holt cannot source a few centre halves better than dugmeat like Hall, we're wasting our time. I presume Sheerin hasn't watched any videos from last season, because if he had, there's no way surely he'd have been happy to keep this diddy around. Massive mistake.

Ok with Telfer though.

9 minutes ago, AGPar said:

The problem with that is the potential that, five minutes into the opening game of the season, your first choice does ligaments or breaks his leg, and we're sentenced to another season of Ben Bombscare Hall. I wouldn't have kept him at all, in any capacity A truly abysmal footballer, appalling positional sense and soft as shite. If it was a straight choice between him and Durnan, I'd probably have gone with the latter. He was terrible in an shite Partick side, barely got a look-in, should never have been signed in the first place. Dumb and Dumber then gave him another year based on nothing and incredibly went into last season with him and Durnan as our only two recognised centre halves, the perfect encapsulation of their cluelessness. He's had another terrible season yet here we are again, stealing a wage for another year. I don't mind the look of some of the signings made to date, but that central defence needs some serious upgrade. I hope we sign at least one proper central defender and play him with Dixon, fitness permitting. If Holt cannot source a few centre halves better than dugmeat like Hall, we're wasting our time. I presume Sheerin hasn't watched any videos from last season, because if he had, there's no way surely he'd have been happy to keep this diddy around. Massive mistake.

Ok with Telfer though.

Can agree with some of that. If he is used as a backup and if he does play is surrounded by capable players unlike last season where the midfield cover came from a 35 year old Mo Gomis, a hopeless Alston and a s****bag of a captain in Gary Miller then I can accept a 1 year deal. He’s also not worse than Durnan in every possible way.

Guest Peter LaFleur

Hall is the first signing I’ve got my doubts over. If he’s moving from being a starter to back up then fair enough. I just feel we could have got a younger player with potential to do the job.

9 hours ago, JimH said:

Sorry to butt into your football chat , but looking for an old programme to complete a specific project.

The one I'm after is from the Motherwell V Falkirk Scottish Cup tie at Fir Park in February 1991.

I am prepared to pay £25 for a copy in reasonable condition. 

If anyone has one they wish to sell please DM me.

Thanks

I have one indeed. Ally Maxwell on the cover.

Perfect condition. Unlike Crawford Baptie's fucking cheekbone eh?

Do you want it?

Can't believe there's actually folk on the Facebook page that think signing Hall is a great move.

I can get people who are maybe thinking “I suppose he’ll do if he’s there for back up”,but for people to say it’s a great signing is madness

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Can't believe there's actually folk on the Facebook page that think signing Hall is a great move.

We could resign Dennon Lewis and some on there would think it was good

1 hour ago, Rocco said:

I can get people who are maybe thinking “I suppose he’ll do if he’s there for back up”,but for people to say it’s a great signing is madness

If he is not good enough, he is not good enough. Back up or not - he is not good enough 

If he is not good enough, he is not good enough. Back up or not - he is not good enough 

Let’s get back to the real world though. We aren’t going to manage to fill a squad with players all competing for positions every week. Even teams in the SPL have players who are effectively squad fillers.

Aye I'm with BPM on this one backup or not he's shite and the thought of him and Mckay as our centre back pairing is giving me the fear. We shouldn't have to defend in this league as we should be looking to outscore our opposition but it's still a nightmare having those two as options. Brad Mckay I'm obviously being a bit harsh on as we've not seen him play in the navy blue yet.

Aye I'm with BPM on this one backup or not he's shite and the thought of him and Mckay as our centre back pairing is giving me the fear. We shouldn't have to defend in this league as we should be looking to outscore our opposition but it's still a nightmare having those two as options. Brad Mckay I'm obviously being a bit harsh on as we've not seen him play in the navy blue yet.

I’m not trying to make out like he’s a good signing, and I totally agree with you that the thought of him and McKay together is worrying. I do think that the chances are, we’d have signed someone similar or possibly worse if we didn’t keep him. Of course there is a chance we may have took the chance on a youngster and found a gem, but how rare are those.

Hopefully the rest of the signings have us a bit more optimistic than The re-signing of Hall.

Just now, Rocco said:

I’m not trying to make out like he’s a good signing, and I totally agree with you that the thought of him and McKay together is worrying. I do think that the chances are, we’d have signed someone similar or possibly worse if we didn’t keep him. Of course there is a chance we may have took the chance on a youngster and found a gem, but how rare are those.

Hopefully the rest of the signings have us a bit more optimistic than The re-signing of Hall.

I'd honestly have rather took a gamble on a 19 year old than re-signing him when we know he's not good enough.

I'd honestly have rather took a gamble on a 19 year old than re-signing him when we know he's not good enough.

That’s a fair shout as well. I suppose it was too much to ask that we got rid of both Durnan and Hall

1 minute ago, Rocco said:

Even teams in the SPL have players who are effectively squad fillers.

I've been hoping that the  development team means we won't need to sign squad fillers this season. 

In the past the backups were always youth players. They might have had skill, but the problem was they were too wee and skinny to throw too many of them into a senior team together. 

If I understood the FFCTV interview with Ian Fergus correctly that won't necessarily be the case this season. They won't be playing in an "under -XXs" league so we can sign men instead of boys. Which makes them the squad fillers rather than first teamers who're not first picks. 

Or so I assume anyway. We'll see what happens over the next couple of months. 

Am I only one worried that we not corrected the bleeding obvious yet and signed more forward players! Part off problem last year was we couldn't finish,, Dowds no upto it and never been impressed with Keena either when he played,

We do need another two strikers in, however, I disagree with you on Keena. The guy was out for a long time and when he came back we were playing shit, he was played up top on his own and we created very little for him to feed off of. Keena has had a good record everywhere he has played and he did well pre season for us, therefore, I’ll reserve judgement till I see how he does this season.

7 minutes ago, Rocco said:

That’s a fair shout as well. I suppose it was too much to ask that we got rid of both Durnan and Hall

It wasn't though as they were both out of contract so should both have been gone. There's better out there even if it's just as back up. Crighton who's just signed with Stenny is head and shoulders above Hall. Holt was in place the game we played Arbroath in the cup and Hall had an absolute shocker so there's no real excuses. 

I've been hoping that the  development team means we won't need to sign squad fillers this season. 
In the past the backups were always youth players. They might have had skill, but the problem was they were too wee and skinny to throw too many of them into a senior team together. 
If I understood the FFCTV interview with Ian Fergus correctly that won't necessarily be the case this season. They won't be playing in an "under -XXs" league so we can sign men instead of boys. Which makes them the squad fillers rather than first teamers who're not first picks. 
Or so I assume anyway. We'll see what happens over the next couple of months. 

That is a valid point, which is even more worrying.

1 hour ago, Rocco said:

We do need another two strikers in, however, I disagree with you on Keena. The guy was out for a long time and when he came back we were playing shit, he was played up top on his own and we created very little for him to feed off of. Keena has had a good record everywhere he has played and he did well pre season for us, therefore, I’ll reserve judgement till I see how he does this season.

Totally agree, I saw him against Ayr in pre-season he came on after half time and looked very sharp, got a bit of decent service and scored 2 good goals.