The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

He's shite but he's better than Mark Durnan.  But yep if you do go up, McKay is miles out of his depth in the Championship.  3 years if insanity.

So how has he managed to play 110 times at that level or higher for you guys? Surely somebody should've worked that out about 90 games ago?  Is Robbo that bad a manager that he just keeps on playing him even when he's shit?

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

So how has he managed to play 110 times at that level or higher for you guys? Surely somebody should've worked that out about 90 games ago?  Is Robbo that bad a manager that he just keeps on playing him even when he's shit?

He was our lowest earner and as soon as we signed Wallace Duffy and Dave Carson he was sat in the stand every week.

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

He was our lowest earner and as soon as we signed Wallace Duffy and Dave Carson he was sat in the stand every week.

He started 19 of 27 games last season. Doesn't say much for the management team playing a guy whose out of his depth in so many games. 

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He started 19 of 27 games last season. Doesn't say much for the management team playing a guy whose out of his depth in so many games. 

He played centre back for most of them, where he was still shite but had Robbie Deas covering for him.  

Weird how you aren't taking any The Caley fans opinion of him given he's been with us for 5 years and been shite all that time. It's not as if we've seen him every week.  He might be brilliant for you at League One level, he's 100% not good enough for the Championship.

Do you want me to say he's brilliant or something?

Just now, TheScarf said:

He played centre back for most of them, where he was still shite but had Robbie Deas covering for him.  

Weird how you aren't taking any The Caley fans opinion of him given he's been with us for 5 years and been shite all that time. It's not as if we've seen him every week.  He might be brilliant for you at League One level, he's 100% not good enough for the Championship.

Talk about him like you talk about Todorov please x

Just now, TheScarf said:

I think we'd like a bit of clarification at what you guys see is bad about him?  Just saying how bad he is doesn't really tell us much... can't tackle? terrible in the air? can't pass? can't hold the ball? what??? 

Just now, MetalWolf said:

I think we'd like a bit of clarification at what you guys see is bad about him?  Just saying how bad he is doesn't really tell us much... can't tackle? terrible in the air? can't pass? can't hold the ball? what??? 

He can't tackle and has no pace and he fucking always loses his footing.  At least once every game.

Just now, TheScarf said:

He can't tackle and has no pace and he fucking always loses his footing.  At least once every game.

so.... you mean he's just bad then :D

who knows maybe he'll do better for us than you guys think he did for you (blind optimism you might call it).  I don't ever remember thinking Todorov was gonna see the pitch for us let alone score..... the rest is history.

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Fair answer, and FWIW I'd have been in favour of the patrons bid just as I would have with the previous one. 

Re the 45K. I obviously have no idea of our current budget, but a couple of years back when we first got relegated I think it was around 1.5 million. Let's say around a million just for the sake of debate. 

That's less a twentieth of our income. Maybe the value or one or two players? 

The DOF is probably one of the two most important people at the club, the other obviously being the manager. If we're confident he'll deliver success then it is not a salary worth paying? 

It's a bit like a salesman. Not matter how much they cost, a good one will always earn you several times more than you pay out.  

This is the key for me. It's always framed as 'can we afford this?' because it's a position we didn't previously have. But a good DoF can make you money with savvy transfers and save you money by signing less dross that you end up having to pay off early to bin. 

Whether Holt is that person is a completely different question. 

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

No I just find it strange how a player 'out of his depth' can play so many games for a club.  Ones that aren't great or not very good is one thing but out his depth suggests he should be looking for another vacation in life so God knows how he managed to play so many games in the premier League and championship for you guys without someone in management realising that and freeing him a few years back.  Who knows what he'll be like for us. We've had many a player that's been dreadful here and done well elsewhere whilst others have come here on glowing references and been completely shit so it's a simple case of wait and see.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 minute ago, lanky_ffc said:

This is the key for me. It's always framed as 'can we afford this?' because it's a position we didn't previously have. But a good DoF can make you money with savvy transfers and save you money by signing less dross that you end up having to pay off early to bin. 

The key point, we're in the third division of Scottish football so the majority of our signings are going to be from Scottish football so I have no issue with that. I am however sceptical about Holt's ability to identify the right players which is obviously the main point in his role. Hopefully Sheerin's got a bit of know how there and helps bring in the right ones. 

Can you imagine being a player and having to listen to Holt giving you a 10 slide presentation about how he's going to make you a better person as well as a better footballer. "That stickman's you and look you're smiling"

The fear.

14 minutes ago, MetalWolf said:

His awareness and positioning seem to be pretty poor. He can often lose his man and doesn't realise it. This goal coincidentally against Falkirk, is the kind of thing we saw quite often from him. Mckay is number 22 and is meant to be marking Rudden but completely loses him and doesn't seem to know where he has gone.

3 minutes ago, RiG said:

His awareness and positioning seem to be pretty poor. He can often lose his man and doesn't realise it. This goal coincidentally against Falkirk, is the kind of thing we saw quite often from him. Mckay is number 22 and is meant to be marking Rudden but completely loses him and doesn't seem to know where he has gone.

He's a donkey but he's our donkey now so back off.

27 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Absolutely. The amount we must have spent on signing and paying off players over the last few seasons doesn’t bear thinking about.

100 players signed over the last 5 years and the vast majority have been nowhere near good enough. £45k a year is a small investment to make if it’s going to result in better recruitment. 

As I have mentioned ad nauseum, it gets on my tits when supporters from other teams plague our thread.  I've done my research and just been onto the Caley thread, 2 people online, the Ross County thread, 3 people online, the Saint Johnstone thread, 3 people online. We've got 33 people online at the moment.

I get it now.

They are lonely as f*ck!

And our thread is to them what Wilson was to Tom Hanks in Castaway.

wilson mr Wilson volley ball from movie castaway Onogo