The Falkirk FC Thread

10 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

It was M&M that signed him so he's most likely not up to it. Especially as he never even got a sniff last season and we brought in another 18 year old as cover instead of trying him.

I did say at the time having watched him that he was nowhere near the level required so I'm not surprised that he couldn't get a kick even when we were down to the bare bones last season. I think there was a lot more to this transfer than meets the eye shall we say. 

38 minutes ago, kiddy said:

emoji23.pngemoji1787.pngemoji23.png Two "defensive mid's" to protect the back four against part-time 'jobbers'! Do me a favour.
Bet you're one of the goons on here that promote such arrant nonsense, at this level, then moan their tits off at making zero shots at Peterhead, Dumbarton & Cove; as the team fail to make the play offs.
Be gone, you utter imbecile.

The double pivot sounds like just what we need🙈 Instead of jorghino and Kante though we have hetherington and miller.  I'd just love us to keep it basic this system and just steam roller sides .  A we'll score more goals than you approach should be the order of the day at this level. Loads of goals, fun and entertainment.

9 hours ago, Peter LaFleur said:

You can definitely determine if a poster is over the age of 40 by their opinion of the 4-2-3-1 formation.

More strikers = more goals the COYB Facebook page mentality.

The simple fact of the matter is if any part of a 4 2 3 1 isnt briefed or capable of what their job is, the whole thing looks shit.

Theres nothing inherently wrong with playing it, but if your midfield dont move up to support the striker and your full backs cant support attacks, it looks like a straight 4 5 1, and hence mega defensive.

Thats where we were. We didnt have the players or competent management last time out. And havent done for a while.

5 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I did say at the time having watched him that he was nowhere near the level required so I'm not surprised that he couldn't get a kick even when we were down to the bare bones last season. I think there was a lot more to this transfer than meets the eye shall we say. 

He came on as a sub four times last year in friendlies that weren't covered by FFCTV. I genuinely thought he looked decent. Granted, the opposition were poor with the likes of the Shire & Brechin but he was keen to get forward, had a bit of skill and a surprising amount of dig. His tenacity won us a penalty in one of those games.  I was hoping he would get a chance with all our injuries at the end of the season but it didn't happen. 

Still looked like a wee boy though so maybe they think he needs to develop more physically. Hopefully we should see a lot more of him this year with this new development squad so we can judge him properly. I wouldn't write him off yet. 

More strikers = more goals the COYB Facebook page mentality.
You'll certainly not get them by filling more than half your side with defenders, that's for sure.
A full time team (it's their occupation), in a part time division (it's their hobby), conducting an attack with 4 guys, only one of whom's job description is 'Forward''.
Jesus wept.[emoji2359]

8 minutes ago, kiddy said:

You'll certainly not get them by filling more than half your side with defenders, that's for sure.
A full time team (it's their occupation), in a part time division (it's their hobby), conducting an attack with 4 guys, only one of whom's job description is 'Forward''.
Jesus wept.emoji2359.png

Agreed about not filling it with defenders but with Williamson in and hopefully McCann next we’ll have fullbacks who’ll be hitting the byline/creating space for the wingers to cut in we’ll have more than enough upfront to attack.

Miller shouldn’t be a starting player but a back up right back/ Hetherington back up when he inevitably gets suspended.

56 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

He came on as a sub four times last year in friendlies that weren't covered by FFCTV. I genuinely thought he looked decent. Granted, the opposition were poor with the likes of the Shire & Brechin but he was keen to get forward, had a bit of skill and a surprising amount of dig. His tenacity won us a penalty in one of those games.  I was hoping he would get a chance with all our injuries at the end of the season but it didn't happen. 

Still looked like a wee boy though so maybe they think he needs to develop more physically. Hopefully we should see a lot more of him this year with this new development squad so we can judge him properly. I wouldn't write him off yet. 

I think more emphasis was put on the cash changing hands in this deal than his actual football ability. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdries-leon-mccann-holds-ambitious-23906110.amp&ved=2ahUKEwimtpyEiPvwAhUPD2MBHdnRAH4QFjAOegQIOBAC&usg=AOvVaw2Tm0_m3PKCOHKRm5kSVyQO&ampcf=1

Can't see McCann signing for us after this interview he made only what just over a month ago.  It's either Airdrie or a higher level according to him.

8 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

I play 4-2-3-1 at amateur level. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. It purely comes down to application.

Man City won the premiership and Chelsea won the champions league both playing 4-2-3-1.  England started with this formation last night.  No reason a Falkirk team could not play this formation. 

Attack is the best form of defence.

If they are too busy worrying about what we are doing up top they won't have too much time to bother our defence.

It was over cautious football from McKinnon and then M&M that has consigned us to a third season in League 1.

We need to go for broke and put out a really attacking formation every game, it's the third tier of Scottish Football FFS, even Sheerin was coming away with "I know it will be difficult, it's a tough league blah blah blah". "we'll look at each game as it comes etc." - what a load of shite.

If we're scared about playing against butchers, bakers and IT managers (updated for the 21st century) we'd be as well rappin' it in now.

Edited by Bairn in Exile

Guest Peter LaFleur
5 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Hearing there’s considerable interest from a couple of SPL clubs and many championship clubs. Rabbit out a hat if the club can pull this one off.....

Doesn’t sound promising. He deserves a crack at a higher level mind you.

14 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Attack is the best form of defence.

If they are too busy worrying about what we are doing up top they won't have too much time to bother our defence.

It was over cautious football from McKinnon and then M&M that has consigned us to a third season in League 1.

We need to go for broke and put out a really attacking formation every game, it's the third tier of Scottish Football FFS, even Sheerin was coming away with "I know it will be difficult, it's a tough league blah blah blah". "we'll look at each game as it comes etc." - what a load of shite.

If we're scared about playing against butchers, bakers and IT managers (updated for the 21st century) we'd be as well rappin' it in now.

Exactly. Let them worry about us not vice versa. Sheerin stating that we should be able to put out a team that can compete in league one doesn't exactly fill me full of confidence. 

12 hours ago, JustLuvinThepian said:

I do see Miller featuring regularly. If the gaffer does favour the 4-2-3-1 formation that his becoming the norm this weather, it would seem reasonable that Miller and Hetherington sit in front of the two centre backs. 

He did mention pre-contracts in the plural. If Williamson was one, who are the others? Suspect not Hetherington after Alloa did state that he decided to leave despite being offered a new contract.  With two more expected this week, are we thinking MacKay and Nesbitt? What about Liam Brown and Leon McCann?

Got a funny feeling that the backup keeper will also be the goalkeeping coach. Would therefore be looking at a veteran with a year or two left in them who can help Mutch  improve and work with the academy too. Makes more sense than another Cantley signing.

Hopefully not, yet to see Hetherington he seems too similar to Miller from what I've been told to warrant playing beside him. By no means am I saying that I expect him to be shite, just that two 6s is generally awful.

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Exactly. Let them worry about us not vice versa. Sheerin stating that we should be able to put out a team that can compete in league one doesn't exactly fill me full of confidence. 

Did he actually say that? Jesus H, that's the sort of thing a club that's just been promoted would say.

I presume the quote is out of context, and he actually meant "compete for the title".

8 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Did he actually say that? Jesus H, that's the sort of thing a club that's just been promoted would say.

I presume the quote is out of context, and he actually meant "compete for the title".

That's exactly what he says in the interview. Listen to it yourself.