The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Caractacus Potts
6 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

FWIW, Strachan isn't our Director of Football (we don't have one AFAIK), and is instead is our 'Technical Director', with a large focus on overseeing the Youth Academy, along with providing an advisory role to the manager when required.

I'm aware this has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion regarding the viability of a DoF for a team, but we're not one of them.

Gary Holt isn’t actually our DoF either, he’s Sporting Director, which is probably more akin to Strachan’s role at Dundee. 

From a Falkirk perspective, the point was that we had Alex Totten on Furlough and brought in Holt on a wage to give his advice on football matters.  Alex then left his role. Just seems like a very poor payoff. Gary Holt was a good player but he’s only got 3.5 years managerial experience under his belt and his record isn’t exactly amazing. Alex Totten is a Falkirk legend, very well respected in the game and would have worked for next to nothing to help the club. If he was sitting in the sidelines whilst they brought in Holt to help advise on football matters then no wonder he quit. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

16 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Alex Totten's a great guy but he's 75 and hasn't had an active job in football for two decades. 

Heard a wee story yesterday that Central Demolition are not going to renew their sponsorship of the shirts .... on the basis of how the club got rid of Totts.

4 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

Heard a wee story yesterday that Central Demolition are not going to renew their sponsorship of the shirts .... on the basis of how the club got rid of Totts.

While we are on the rumour mill. I heard that Central Demolition were struggling due to covid and that it may see them end their sponsorship.

They must be the longest running shirt sponsor in Scotland surely? 

Edited by latapythelegend

Just now, latapythelegend said:

While we are on the rumour mill. I heard that Central Demolition were struggling due to covid and that it may see them end their sponsorship.

must have been all that work pulling down the college then !

Guest Caractacus Potts
17 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Alex Totten's a great guy but he's 75 and hasn't had an active job in football for two decades. 

I would take a 75 year old Totten over Gary Holt any day. Who was our other candidate by the way? Was it not Jim Jefferies?

What a mountain to climb down Jim Jefferies to Gary Holt whilst also disregarding Totten. 

8 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

While we are on the rumour mill...... heard another belter !

The BoD and Rawlin's rejected an offer from some local businessmen to take a £600k stake in the club. Apparently the sticking point was that certain members of the Board didn't want to lose their blazers and Rawlins supported that.  

7 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I would take a 75 year old Totten over Gary Holt any day. Who was our other candidate by the way? Was it not Jim Jefferies?

What a mountain to climb down Jim Jefferies to Gary Holt whilst also disregarding Totten. 

They wanted Jeffries but i also heard Levein was in the frame as well

Guest Caractacus Potts
2 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

They wanted Jeffries but i also heard Levein was in the frame as well

Jefferies to Levein and we end up with Holt and again disregard Totten!? Don’t understand the thinking with that. 

46 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Jefferies to Levein and we end up with Holt and again disregard Totten!? Don’t understand the thinking with that. 

Alex Totten worked in the commercial department of the club and had done for many years. He hadn’t worked in a footballing capacity for a long time. 

Why on earth would we appoint a director of football with no recent experience in football?

Guest Caractacus Potts
24 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Alex Totten worked in the commercial department of the club and had done for many years. He hadn’t worked in a footballing capacity for a long time. 

Why on earth would we appoint a director of football with no recent experience in football?

Why appoint one at all? Waste of a wage if you ask me and limits us in who we can bring in as a manager. If you need footballing advice then you could have spoken to Alex. 

And why appoint a Sporting Director who’s got less than 4 years managerial experience. As I mentioned earlier, I can see it worked well for Killie. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 hour ago, Zbairn said:

The BoD and Rawlin's rejected an offer from some local businessmen to take a £600k stake in the club. Apparently the sticking point was that certain members of the Board didn't want to lose their blazers and Rawlins supported that.  

If that’s true then the Rawlins/board have some explaining to do. I thought they were all for fan investment!?? 

Gary Deans bemoaning us not getting a £500k grant and then knocking back £600k!!? 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

1 hour ago, Zbairn said:

Yep, I'm very familiar with who one of the busienssmen are.

1 hour ago, Zbairn said:

Blazer chasers in self-interest shocker. Nah, surely not? This great new Board are all “Falkirk men” after all. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Is this really in the best interests of the Club? Yet more evidence that collectively, the fans need to withhold money until the rats have fled the ship.

33 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Why appoint one at all? Waste of a wage if you ask me and limits us in who we can bring in as a manager. If you need footballing advice then you could have spoken to Alex. 

And why appoint a Sporting Director who’s got less than 4 years managerial experience. As I mentioned earlier, I can see it worked well for Killie. 

How much managerial experience does Ross Wilson have? Being a manager previously has absolutely nothing to do with being a successful sporting director. 

17 hours ago, MSG GTF! said:

You conveniently forgetting the impact he had at Inverness? That’s fine if so, but at least educate yourself before you claim something to be sh!t. 

What impact was this? He has a bad reputation up in Inverness. Would be a terrible choice for a Head Coach/Manager role.

5 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

What impact was this? He has a bad reputation up in Inverness. Would be a terrible choice for a Head Coach/Manager role.

The impact I remember him having (correct me if I’m wrong) was coming to Inverness as Hughes’ assistant a time when he was hardly setting the heather on fire. During his time at Inverness, they were beaten on penalties in the League Cup Final and finished in the top 6. The following season they finished 3rd and won the Scottish Cup. Surely he gets some sort of credit for that, no?