The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, Harry Kinnear said:

The big thing is if the board get this wrong again where will we end up. Lets not kid ourselves here, if last season had been a normal season M&M would have been sussed a lot earlier and we could realistically been in a relegation fight the form we showed laterly. If we sign another squad like we have just witnessed we are well and truly fucked. I would imagine their budget is going to be cut quite a bit as I can't see them shifting huge numbers of ST's. 

It's a magician we need not a manager.

With Holt and deans still there I'll be shocked if we're much better this season.  Last season should've been the last straw but here we are another season coming up and it's still the same clowns pulling the strings.

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

With Holt and deans still there I'll be shocked if we're much better this season.  Last season should've been the last straw but here we are another season coming up and it's still the same clowns pulling the strings.

I agree, I will be astonished if we are in the hunt for the league title next season. With what just passed it was definitely the time for massive change at the club but it's not looking likely.

We have no chance. The DoF agreeing deals with players and going there you go you make a team out of this. I know you might not like them but tough. You get us up or your sacked and I'm not culpable. Nor are the directors.  Enjoy! 

11 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

We have no chance. The DoF agreeing deals with players and going there you go you make a team out of this. I know you might not like them but tough. You get us up or your sacked and I'm not culpable. Nor are the directors.  Enjoy! 

Exactly and the rumours of signings don't make exactly exciting reading at all.  Holt is going to be the main man with no comeback whilst sheerin sorts out the bibs and cones it would appear.

Guest Peter LaFleur

Holt may hand over 5 names of players that he has agreed terms with but with the caveat that he is awaiting the new managers approval. The new manager may only want to take 3 of them on and we will move on from there. If Holt had sat on his arse for 6 weeks and done f**k all people would have had complaints.

Until we know the exact working dynamic between the DoF and the new manager it’s a bit too soon to jump the gun. I’m not a fan of Holt whatsoever so hoping the manager will have the final call.

Edited by Peter LaFleur

Just now, Believe The Hype said:

I'm assuming there is going to be another fans q & a with holt, deans, new coach before the season begins. Why not just straight up ask holt exactly what he does as dof? 

Pretty sure when he came on board he said he is tasked with identifying players for the development/Academy and Fergus was the man he wanted for that

I’m so so far from convinced with Holt’s role. But so far, as DOF anyway, he seems to have done fine. I think it would have been ridiculous had we signed anyone before the new manager was in. However we seem to have provisionally agreed terms with a few players, and when the new manager is in he will hopefully have the true final say on them. If we must have this DOF role, that seems the least bad way of doing it 

17 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Call me cynical but I just cannot get my head round why a Scottish 3rd Division team needs a Director of Football. I've nothing against Holt but I feel his wage would be better going into the player pot. 

Because we don't want to be a 3rd division team. We want to be a Premiership team. But the last ten years of poor planning and lack of football knowledge "upstairs" has seen us go from being a Premiership team to a 3rd division team. So we've put someone in place "upstairs" with football knowledge to do the long term strategy. 

If we don't we'll continue circling the drain with bad appointment after bad appointment because no one "upstairs" knows anything about football. 

2 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Because we don't want to be a 3rd division team. We want to be a Premiership team. But the last ten years of poor planning and lack of football knowledge "upstairs" has seen us go from being a Premiership team to a 3rd division team. So we've put someone in place "upstairs" with football knowledge to do the long term strategy. 

If we don't we'll continue circling the drain with bad appointment after bad appointment because no one "upstairs" knows anything about football. 

I am cynical and a lot older so I maybe struggle with this DoF stuff. I get your point but I don't see why a decent manager and assistant couldn't do this role. Plenty of teams in Scottish football seem to do okay without a DoF.

29 minutes ago, liammcintosh01 said:

Barry Ferguson confirmed on the Go radio football show that Steven heatheringtonn wants a shot at full time again and has signed for yous. Gutted to see him go.

Nope not having this, we can't sign players that fans of their previous club are sad to see go. We only sign players that were absolute shite at previous clubs.

There's absolutely nothing wrong in principle with us having a DoF, although of course there are questions to be asked over whether Holt is the right man for that. Personally I'm not convinced.

Guest Caractacus Potts
20 minutes ago, Gaz said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong in principle with us having a DoF, although of course there are questions to be asked over whether Holt is the right man for that. Personally I'm not convinced.

Kilmarnock had someone in a similar position, with similar management experience in James Fowler. First time out the top flight in 28 years. 

Dundee meanwhile have Gordon Strachan. 

We had Alex Totten at the club, let him walk and brought in Gary Holt to give us the benefit of his footballing/managerial experience. 

51 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Pretty sure when he came on board he said he is tasked with identifying players for the development/Academy and Fergus was the man he wanted for that

He is not a Director

If the manager is supposed to have final say then why has Holt signed up a number of players before we've even appointed anyone. That says more that the coach will have zero input until the boys appear at training suddenly one morning.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

If the manager is supposed to have final say then why has Holt signed up a number of players before we've even appointed anyone. That says more that the coach will have zero input until the boys appear at training suddenly one morning.

Have they been announced? Have they actually signed yet? 
It is literally Holt’s job description to identify players and recommend them to the first team coach. From what I can see that’s all he’s done so far.