The Falkirk FC Thread

14 minutes ago, Strikerturnedkeeper said:

Gary Jardine is as latapythelegend alluded to, currently manager at Civil service strollers in the lowland league.

He used to be manager at Edinburgh city and got them into league 2. He also doubles up assisting Hibs youth teams as a coach. Overall a good coach and good guy who eats, sleeps an breathes football.

So, Alan, looking forward to working with Gary at Falkirk FC?

Edited by HonestAl

Guest Peter LaFleur
8 minutes ago, Strikerturnedkeeper said:

Gary Jardine is as latapythelegend alluded to, currently manager at Civil service strollers in the lowland league.

He used to be manager at Edinburgh city and got them into league 2. He also doubles up assisting Hibs youth teams as a coach. Overall a good coach and good guy who eats, sleeps an breathes football.

Who is he to be mentioned in our thread though?

Edited by Peter LaFleur

1 hour ago, MSG GTF! said:

Can’t see many people having an issue with Sheerin on a personal level. He’s far from my first choice, and I don’t think it’s the sort of appointment the Club needed to make at this particular time, but it’s not his fault he’s being appointed. He’ll be the least of our worries.

Who would have been your first choice and why? There are a lot of people that I would have liked before Sheerin but, let's face it, it's where are are at the moment.

6 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Who would have been your first choice and why? There are a lot of people that I would have liked before Sheerin but, let's face it, it's where are are at the moment.

I would have preferred and thought the board would have appointed someone with a bit more experience and stature. I appreciate we're hardly in the position to attract someone of that nature, however, the last thing I expected was for us to appoint another unproven name.. Expect the unexpected I guess. Still hoping we'll all be pleasantly surprised. 

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Sheerin's got no chance, has he?

He's got one hand tied behind his back having to work with Holt. And coming in to an absolute car crash such as us. He's not had pressure on him which he will have here.  He absolutely needs to get off to a flyer and play attractive attacking football and win almost every week. If we are struggling a dozen games in with hardly a win he will probably be out a job. 

40 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I’ve already stated a few pages back that I wanted (and felt the Club needed) someone who would excite the fans if nothing else, as results are never guaranteed. We’re at an all time low right now, there’s never been a bigger divide between fans and the Club. This appointment could’ve gone some way towards mending that, but appointing the Aberdeen reserve coach simply isn’t going to whet the appetite off the back of finishing 5th in League One.

Given the Club is recruiting a Head Coach rather than a manager, if I was to name someone who would’ve ticked all my boxes it would’ve been Russell Latapy all day long. That won’t be everyones choice, but for me personally, he’d have generated real excitement amongst the fans. We are all aware of how talented and respected a player he was with contacts far and wide. He has coaching experience with Boavista and obviously with Inverness where he was part of an unbelievable season for those caber-tossing c*nts. He’s also gained experience managing two different national sides. When you take all of that into consideration, would he really be any worse an option than anyone who’s been mentioned for the gig? Not in my opinion.

Edited by MSG GTF!

Guest Caractacus Potts

Need to bear in mind 2 things as well.

Sheerin hasn’t been appointed yet. If he is indeed the man we’re now after then he may have better options to weigh up.

He appears to have been happy in his role as U20s coach at Aberdeen for the past 7 years so is he applying simple because he needs a job as he’s not part of Stephen Glass’s plans or now is the right time to be a manager in his own right? 

What’s the hold up anyway? We knew this appointment was necessary since the middle of April. Other clubs have got rid of managers and appointed new ones in that time. Is it because we are more rigorous or the board don’t have a clue what they’re doing...? 

16 minutes ago, MSG GTF! said:

I’ve already stated a few pages back that I wanted (and felt the Club needed) someone who would excite the fans if nothing else, as results are never guaranteed. We’re at an all time low right now, there’s never been a bigger divide between fans and the Club. This appointment could’ve gone some way towards mending that, but appointing the Aberdeen reserve coach simply isn’t going to whet the appetite off the back of finishing 5th in League One.

Given the Club is recruiting a Head Coach rather than a manager, if I was to name someone who would’ve ticked all my boxes it would’ve been Russell Latapy all day long. That won’t be everyones choice, but for me personally, he’d have generated real excitement amongst the fans. We are all aware of how talented and respected a player he was with contacts far and wide. He has coaching experience with Boavista and obviously with Inverness where he was part of an unbelievable season for those caber-tossing c*nts. He’s also gained experience managing two different national sides. When you take all of that into consideration, would he really be any worse an option than anyone who’s been mentioned for the gig? Not in my opinion.

I reckon it would be very easy to tempt Latapy away from the Barbados job tbh, free flat in the bog would probably do the trick. Great shout. 

11 minutes ago, FalkirkLad said:

I reckon it would be very easy to tempt Latapy away from the Barbados job tbh, free flat in the bog would probably do the trick. Great shout. 

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not, but I reckon it would be very easy to tempt him. We tempted him away from the beaches of Portugal when he was 34 and he gave us 7 unbelievable years of service. He was desperate for the managers job on at least one previous occasion and we opted for Holt instead. For me, taking everything into consideration regarding where the Club’s currently at, he’d be the outstanding candidate.

Edited by MSG GTF!

Guest Ecosse83

So Sheerin is a poor choice but Russell Latapy would be an outstanding candidate? Someone needs to talk me through that one 😆

4 minutes ago, MSG GTF! said:

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not, but I reckon it would be very easy to tempt him. We tempted him away from the beaches of Portugal when he was 34 and he gave us 7 unbelievable years of service. He was desperate for the managers job on at least one previous occasion and we opted for Holt instead. For me, taking everything into consideration regarding where the Club’s currently at, he’d be the outstanding candidate.

He was desperate for the job when he was based in Scotland and was an assistant manager, he’s now the manager of fucking Barbados and I wouldn’t trust a man who’d chuck that for the Falkirk job right now. 

3 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

So Sheerin is a poor choice but Russell Latapy would be an outstanding candidate? Someone needs to talk me through that one 😆

I’ve already talked you through it...a much higher standard of coaching experience than the Aberdeen youth boss and certainly a more exciting appointment. You can read, right? 🥴

Guest Peter LaFleur
1 minute ago, MSG GTF! said:

I’ve already talked you through it...a much higher standard of coaching experience than the Aberdeen youth boss and certainly a more exciting appointment. You can read, right? 🥴

He’d be a cracking coach when the weather was decent. Tremendous player and an absolute hero but would be a car crash as a manager/head coach.

6 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

He’d be a cracking coach when the weather was decent. Tremendous player and an absolute hero but would be a car crash as a manager/head coach.

Sadly we’ll never know. I’d bet money though that plenty of those who think Latapy would be a disaster are the same ones who thought “big Lee” was a great appointment at the time.

Edited by MSG GTF!

Guest Ecosse83
7 minutes ago, MSG GTF! said:

Aye and what I’m reading is a pile of shit! If he was any good he wouldn’t be coaching a team playing again the Cayman bloody Islands! But he had 1 game as Boavista assistant so he must be amazing 😂👏

2 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Aye and what I’m reading is a pile of shit! If he was any good he wouldn’t be coaching a team playing again the Cayman bloody Islands! But he had 1 game as Boavista assistant so he must be amazing 😂👏

You conveniently forgetting the impact he had at Inverness? That’s fine if so, but at least educate yourself before you claim something to be sh!t. 

1 hour ago, MSG GTF! said:

Aye, Latapy would have been a fair shout and may well have been sounded out? I would have been wary though as I don't like ex heroes as manager as it almost always ends badly, either leaving for a bigger club like Yogi did or, more likely, getting the bullet like Houstie. I don't like players with that profile being remembered for the wrong thing.

From the names that have been mentioned and that we could reasonably be expected to attract, I'd probably only consider Stuart Taylor or Steven O'Donnell before Sheerin.   

2 hours ago, Forever_Blue_ said:

I would have preferred and thought the board would have appointed someone with a bit more experience and stature. I appreciate we're hardly in the position to attract someone of that nature, however, the last thing I expected was for us to appoint another unproven name.. Expect the unexpected I guess. Still hoping we'll all be pleasantly surprised. 

That's more or less it in a nutshell.

The big thing is if the board get this wrong again where will we end up. Lets not kid ourselves here, if last season had been a normal season M&M would have been sussed a lot earlier and we could realistically been in a relegation fight the form we showed laterly. If we sign another squad like we have just witnessed we are well and truly fucked. I would imagine their budget is going to be cut quite a bit as I can't see them shifting huge numbers of ST's. 

It's a magician we need not a manager.