The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, bairn88 said:

Who would you appoint?

I wasn't keen on Grant but looking at the other names he suddenly looks more appealing.  Or Rice. I thought we had received over 100 applications from across the globe yet the names in the frame are jobbers like McIntyre, Kettlewell and an under 20's coach. There must have been someone surely that had a better CV than them. 

3 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

I wasn't keen on Grant but looking at the other names he suddenly looks more appealing.  Or Rice. I thought we had received over 100 applications from across the globe yet the names in the frame are jobbers like McIntyre, Kettlewell and an under 20's coach. There must have been someone surely that had a better CV than them. 

It's a big no thanks from me to every name I've seen so far apart from Rice.

3 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Grant I think was wanted but I presume he has other plans (Celtic backroom). Rice applied I believe but we were turned down permission to interview him by Hamilton. We can’t really do much there. 

The 130 names would include teenagers from the likes of India, Australia and Brazil with some champ manager experience. Our board are incompetent but come on, they’re not throwing away cv’s of people who are at least semi decent. Of course Sheerin would be underwhelming but we have to speak rationally when considering who we could actually appoint 

With our current League One status, I’ve mentioned previously that I believed Darren Young to be a good choice as Head Coach.

Not too dissimilar a profile to Jim Jefferies when he came with the Deans from Berwick, some time back.

So, I do think Paul Sheerin would be a good appointment with a similar low profile, modestly successful management background.

As long as Holt is kept upstairs, mainly detached from 1st team matters, I’d be optimistic about Paul Sheerin. As good a choice as we could’ve hoped for.

But then again I did think Hartley and Mackinnon would do well.....

Edited by HonestAl

On 22/05/2021 at 14:45, ebobsboy said:

The statement was just nonsense, as was the rigorous process they were supposed to have implemented. 

Again though it’s just something most fans are willing to lap up. If the new manager does well it will be through luck rather than design. 

Pretty sure if I went back through the pages there would have been a lot of posts lauding about the impact of the Rawlins and all the contacts, finance they’ll bring but now we’re trying to gather some optimism at the fact Paul Sheerin is likely to be handed the job, behind McCann and Rice. Best of luck to him but it’s a thoroughly depressing state of affairs and despite the shout for real change in the boardroom/fan investment it looks like we’re one step away from being the victim of yet another PR campaign championing our imminent rise up the leagues. 

Edited by Guest

That is the big problem the board and Holt have for me. I am as vocal as most against them but I have honestly sat and tried to think about managers that I would actually be delighted to get and tried to be realistic with this and I can't think of any that would please us all. If it is Sheerin will just have to see how it goes as I don't really know much about him.

2 hours ago, kiddy said:

An opportunity to take a club, with a base capable of taking you into the top 6 &/or Cup Finals. Where a move upwards/onwards equates to one of about 5 clubs in Scotland or down to England, what's not to like? The vast majority of the baggage has been ditched, leaving you a blank canvas & a 5 /6 year plan.

You literally just struggled to stay in the top 6 in the third level of Scottish football.  Absolutely nothing wrong with having long term hopes for your club but to think you will snare a manager to get you to the top 6 in the country when you are close to becoming part of the League 1 furniture is laughable.

Edited by strichener

5 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

It's a big no thanks from me to every name I've seen so far apart from Rice.

Rice is a media darling, who gets an easy ride from the likes of McLaughlin and his mates on the radio. Comments from Accies fans on him make for horrific reading, and I'll take their word over some pundit with a vested interest all day long. 

If it is Sheerin, at least it's someone with no history or prior connection to the club, a massive plus after all the fanboy nonsense that surrounded Dumb and Dumber, and clouded the judgement of too many, including a few on here. And unlike that pair, he does have comprehensive coaching experience. Beyond that, it's a wait and see job. Bigger concern is that he is is his own man and entertains no interference or influence whatsoever from Holt. If he is responsible for recruitment, then it should be in tandem with the manager. Holt has zero credit in the bank after the disaster of last season and the calamity of him sitting back and allowing Tiffoney to sign for a direct rival. If this appointment is another disaster, he should be packing his bags as well.

And if and when it is announced, let's hear none of the "first choice, outstanding candidate" garbage when they were flailing around trying to secure permission to speak to Rice 48 hours ago. Don't bother insulting our intelligence.

7 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

That is the big problem the board and Holt have for me. I am as vocal as most against them but I have honestly sat and tried to think about managers that I would actually be delighted to get and tried to be realistic with this and I can't think of any that would please us all. If it is Sheerin will just have to see how it goes as I don't really know much about him.

That is the problem and I get it. All we want to do as fans is get behind the team but the only power we have to affect real change in governance is to spite ourselves by withholding our money. 

Anything that’s happened above Sheerin, whether he’s the right man or not, isn’t his fault and he deserves to be backed. It’s this simple notion that makes the board near enough untouchable but they don’t deserve to be in the positions they are in. It just saddens me to see what these folk are doing to the club. They care more about their own position than what’s best for the club and as fans all we can do is convince ourselves it’s all for the best. 

??Right if it's Sheerin and given the Falkirk gig is AKA " The Ejector Seat", how long we giving him before we're demanding the board pull the pin  ?
Same as every other boss, as soon as it's obvious they will fail in the minimum expectations for the season.
While we've sacked a lot of bosses I genuinely don't think anyone can feel hard done by.

Whoever takes the job will require a 2 -3 season contract to sort out the mess also to protect themselves from the hire and fire reputation FFC have

Cant see the board giving it !

New manager & new coaching staff 10+ signings on top of the uninspiring lot we have starting from scratch.

Job security will be  at the forefront of any applicant.

5 hours ago, badgerthewitness said:

I see Queen's Park have given Ray's assistant the permanent head coach role. Starting to see through the 'bankrolled leviathan' charade & would be be reasonably optimistic with Sheerin, considering what he'd be up against.

I’ve heard a wee rumour about a player who’s supposedly signing there. Safe to say if it’s true the money tap is still flowing. Laurie is a really highly rated coach, a bright and down to earth guy. Hopefully a future Rovers manger.

Sheerin is probably the type of manager you should have appointed after McKinnon. Think he’ll do well. We played his ‘colt’ team a few years ago and they looked a good team. He was in the running (and one of the least worst options) before we appointed McGlynn. I think he’ll do well. Probably just stayed at Arbroath a season too long before.

1 hour ago, strichener said:

You literally just struggled to stay in the top 6 in the third level of Scottish football.  Absolutely nothing wrong with having long term hopes for your club but to think you will snare a manager to get you to the top 6 in the country when you are close to becoming part of the League 1 furniture is laughable.

Mate, they WERE part of the BOTTOM division furniture, & part-time, when I started watching Falkirk, back in the 70's.

I said "with a base capable of", which, having made 3 cup finals & spent about 1/4 of the intervening time in the top division; which would seem pretty laughable at the time, had somebody suggested it.

"Snaring" a manager, in that time has read like a who's "who?" of Scottish football. Miller, Little, Hagart, Totten, Abel, Lamont, Clarke, Duffy, Lambie, Bannon, McCall, Coyle/Hughes, May, Pressley, Holt, Houston, Hartley, MacKinnon & Miller/McCracken. Think you'll find more traps than snares in that list.