The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Peter LaFleur

Hopefully he can identify a striker better than Akeel Francis and a centre back better than Durnan. That would be a solid start to his spell.

Let me see:

We could have gone for a young coach / manager who has achieved nothing but is hungry and eager to do well, or

An older manager who has achieved something in the past and still believes he has a lot to offer.

So, what do we do?

We split the difference and go for an older coach who has achieved nothing.

You couldn’t make it up.

COYB😱

Hard not to be underwhelmed, I guess thats the norm of the last few years. That being said his reported style of play and hopefully good contacts especially within the youth game is hard not to be hopeful about considering the woeful stuff weve seen on and off the pitch recently.

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

If sheerins that great you have to wonder why Aberdeen didn't appoint him but instead went for an MLS reserve coach whose team were bottom of the league.

I heard a report on Radio Scotland which said that their MLS coach was a longterm pal of their CEO. 

6 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

If sheerins that great you have to wonder why Aberdeen didn't appoint him but instead went for an MLS reserve coach whose team were bottom of the league.

Let’s see how they do next season. Aberdeen and their fans wanted “change” from mcinnes, at whatever cost. There was no way Sheerin was ever getting the gig. 

6 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Appoint an Aberdeen 'legend' in glass or give the job to the assistant manager ? Bit of a no brainer really. We need to remember Aberdeen are fighting it out to be the 3rd best in The country. We are are in the 3rd tier, our expectations are certainly not the same just now so he might well be perfectly fine for this level. Apples and oranges. 

Just now, Believe The Hype said:

Appoint an Aberdeen 'legend' in glass or give the job to the assistant manager ? Bit of a no brainer really. We need to remember Aberdeen are fighting it out to be the 3rd best in The country. We are are in the 3rd tier, our expectations are certainly not the same just now so he might well be perfectly fine for this level. Apples and oranges. 

We don't want a manager whose perfectly fine for this level. We want one that can get us promoted and then compete in the championship.  J

1 minute ago, Bantabairn said:

Many Aberdeen fans I know have all said the Sheerin has been excellent in bringing young players through and is highly rated, one or two think he deserved a bigger role once McInnes/Docherty departed. 
With Glass coming in he’s maybe pissed of that’s he’s not been given a chance.  

It’s all about the players now, signings need to be spot on and we simply cannot repeat the mistakes of the last three years, shudder when I think of the Mercer’s Akeel..........

As we know from prior experience managing a first team is a million miles away from bringing through young players.  2 totally different jobs. Far more pressure and the bucks stop with you when you are managing a first team. I guess we'll just need to wait and see but we certainly can't afford to feck this appointment up or it most likely will be curtains. Smacks of an appointment that Holt can control if which is the worrying thing for me.

Guest Peter LaFleur
5 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We don't want a manager whose perfectly fine for this level. We want one that can get us promoted and then compete in the championship.  

Heel boy. One step at a time Shadwell me old dog. Let’s get out of this league first. If he can do that then fucks up in the championship at least we will be a far more attractive opportunity by that point. I’m underwhelmed with the appointment but more than willing to give him a chance. I was prepared to be a seething rage with some of the names rumoured. Jim McIntyre after patching the club countless times would have finished me.

Edited by Peter LaFleur

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We don't want a manager whose perfectly fine for this level. We want one that can get us promoted and then compete in the championship.  J

OK then, he may well have been perfectly fine for the Premier league but would do a great job in the 3rd tier of Scottish football. 

Pretty sure no one questioned why barca never kept on Arnau Riera when we signed him as if he wouldn't do a job for Falkirk. An extreme example, but feel it's just, so I can get my point across. 

Like some on here thats posted already, I had prepared myself to be either raging or happy. Instead, if Sheerin gets the job a third option comes into play, as Bairn88 said, I dont actually know enough about Sheerins managerial style or record to form a opinion either way, and as such, will just let it ride and see how it plays out. His first will be the first club interview i've been remotely interested in for a wee while. Hoping to hear him say he wants to come in here and play football on  the front foot and body this cesspit of a league. 

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

I have no pre-concieved opinion on Sheerin but everything I've heard is that he tries to get teams playing out from the back and attacking, which I'm all for. You'd hope he has a good insight into the players reaching the end of their time at youth level and not quite able to make Scottish Premiership teams, which is 1000000% the market we should be in.

More than happy to give him a chance.

I won't be buying champagne if Sheerin gets the job but I wouldn't with any appointment we make. 

We are a fairly attractive job on paper, away from paper we are a train crash. 

There will be positives in any appointment we make but whoever it is should be judged on performance on the pitch, not before a ball is kicked. I wasn't keen on Grant but the above would apply. 

We are Falkirk tho and would have folk hate it if we appointment Pep 😃

You will get a lot of upset people at this appointment (if it happens). You could then ask them who they’d rather have. They’ll say either “it’s not for me to choose” or a bunch of names that didn’t apply.

The alternatives are literally Kettlewell or McIntyre. It’s a rotten bunch, we have to pick someone 

An opportunity to take a club, with a base capable of taking you into the top 6 &/or Cup Finals. Where a move upwards/onwards equates to one of about 5 clubs in Scotland or down to England, what's not to like? The vast majority of the baggage has been ditched, leaving you a blank canvas & a 5 /6 year plan.

as others have alluded if the new manager has an attacking style of football brand then that will go a long way to easing him in with the fans. we should be on the front foot in this league.

in addition, agree with bairnardo above I hold quite a bit of stock in first interview as a statement of intent.  m&m interviews right from the start were wishy washy and lacked decent direction and content. I tend to enjoy interviews with managers who talk sense, been loads of them in the past but in today's scottish game tommy Wright is decent to listen to, been really impressed by stephen Gerrard too.