The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I’m suggesting their take on vigorous is very different to mine. To me, the vigorous part should already have been undertaken and happened months ago, identifying managers/coaches that fit the bill. That should have been part of Holts remit.

Having an open application form is not vigorous at all, no matter how you try dress it up. Asking McCann just shows how little effort has went in to finding an option that would be outside the regular applicants and has little faith in those who have applied. 

You have an open application form to allow candidates who actually want the job to throw their name in the hat. You then look at said candidates and pick out the ones you like the look of most for interviewing. Interview the shortlist and if you can get external feedback from players or people you trust who have worked with the shortlist of candidates thus building a better picture of what they are like. Even have second interviews if you still aren't sure. 

That's how any application process for a manager/head coach role should work at our level. We've done the 'selecting someone who fits what we want' that's what Mackinnon and Hartley apparently were. Both never had to apply for the role they were both sourced and look how that ended up.

36 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I will believe this vigorous selection process when I see it. The statement from the club seemed like a load of PR drivel. Applications from across the globe...are we to be impressed some guy from Australia may have applied? Are they trying to kid on serious contenders from around the world applied!?

All that yet they sound out Neil McCann who never applied and to what end? So they can shortlist him? You just piss people off if you headhunt them without having them in mind as a serious candidate as they tried to infer. 

Also they try to let us know that they have a stringent criteria which included football/management experience that they believe are important to the role. I bloody well hope so. 

The club should have had someone identified for the role weeks/months ago and taken applications on the off chance someone outside their presence of mind would apply. Just feels like they have little idea of what they actually want. 

Where are the Rawlins in this too? I thought they’d have a manager/coach in mind. Their tenure so far has been seriously underwhelming. 

Nail on the fu*king head, Sir.

45 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

So you don't think they'll go through a vigorous selection process but you wanted them to have someone identified months ago therefore not going through a vigorous selection process? 

Listen we've had 3/4 shockers of seasons and I'm sure they are well aware we can't afford another one. I agree that sounding out a manager after asking for applications wasn't the brightest move in the world especially with it being leaky lips Mccann. Interviews are hopefully taking place this week and they need to take their time making this decision as it's momentus. 

Big few weeks to come from our club and we better get it right for once. 

I’ve thought long and hard about who I would go for & Mr Tam Scobie  gets my vote and I would elevate Charlie Telfer to player / coach asst manager. Unfortunately it’s Gary deans and not me making the decision !

Edited by Stainrod

Guest Caractacus Potts
33 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

You have an open application form to allow candidates who actually want the job to throw their name in the hat. You then look at said candidates and pick out the ones you like the look of most for interviewing. Interview the shortlist and if you can get external feedback from players or people you trust who have worked with the shortlist of candidates thus building a better picture of what they are like. Even have second interviews if you still aren't sure. 

That's how any application process for a manager/head coach role should work at our level. We've done the 'selecting someone who fits what we want' that's what Mackinnon and Hartley apparently were. Both never had to apply for the role they were both sourced and look how that ended up.

I could be wrong but I can’t remember Motherwell or St.Johnstone having such a process for their last managerial appointments. I can’t think of many clubs our size that have an open application process. Most seem to know who they wanted. We actually have a full time member of staff who’s been in position for over 4 months now and we’re sounding out people near the deadline as clearly we don’t have a clue who fits the bill. 

The last time we looked for a manager Yogi sounded willing to be asked but instead we appointed M and M. There are good managers out there who would take the job but not apply. To get these guys though we have to go to them and make them feel wanted. Not sound them and amongst possible others and ask them to apply. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

13 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I could be wrong but I can’t remember Motherwell or St.Johnstone having such a process for their last managerial appointments. I can’t think of many clubs our size that have an open application process Most seem to know who they wanted. We actually have a full time member of staff who’s been in position for ove 4 months now and we’re sounding out people as clearly we don’t have a clue who fits the bill. 

The last time we a manager Yogi sounded willing to be asked but instead we appointed M and M. There are good managers out there who would take the job but not apply. To get these guys though we have to go to them and make them feel wanted. Not sound them and amongst possible others and ask them to apply. 

To be perfectly honest if you're too up your own arse to put in an application for the role why should we want you as manager. Hartley was headhunted and never stopped going on about it. Most clubs I imagine will do the same process as i've listed they just won't make it as public as we have. But in our position we're better off making it public as we're so far away from the Motherwell's of this world right now.

Tommy Wright applied for the Motherwell job and they chose Graham Alexander instead as far as i'm aware so they did have an application process. 

I want someone who's hungry to manage our club not someone who has had their arm twisted and isn't fully in it. If that means we get 100+ applications and 90% of them are shite so be it. The other 10% can be the shortlist and we select the best from there.

Edited by FFC 1876

Daily Record which obviously you take with a pinch of salt but they've most likely got the shortlist bit right. 
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/tommy-wright-set-motherwell-interview-23261594.amp
If Gary Holt has put his name forward, im available to suplly a glowing reference at any time.

Just now, Bairnardo said:
21 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:
Daily Record which obviously you take with a pinch of salt but they've most likely got the shortlist bit right. 
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/tommy-wright-set-motherwell-interview-23261594.amp

If Gary Holt has put his name forward, im available to suplly a glowing reference at any time.

Sorry Bairnardo that articles from January 2021. I appreciate the effort though.

I actually have sympathy for whoever gets the job as they are on a hiding to nothing from the off. Highly unlikely we get someone with a proven track record so they have a job on their hands winning us over. No matter who gets it, we as a support are resigned to the fact that it's highly unlikely our board are going to get it right. Same with unknown players coming in, before they kick a ball we will have them branded as shite. It's not the supports fault it's just the way things are at our club just now. 

Had some time to marinate over the comments attributed to Gary Deans, and I have to say my mind is a bit blown....

Not just a "leak" from the club, but the actual chairman who.... Revealed a players medical issues which hadnt been made public, slated a player of the clubs ability, alerted the Scottish football world to the impending availability of a contracted player... Cant remember what else, but really.... This is quite mental isnt it. It shows where we are and how we are run as a club that we discussed the merits of what was said on here for a wee while and dodnt really step back and go "what the f**k is this guy playing at?"

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Had some time to marinate over the comments attributed to Gary Deans, and I have to say my mind is a bit blown....

Not just a "leak" from the club, but the actual chairman who.... Revealed a players medical issues which hadnt been made public, slated a player of the clubs ability, alerted the Scottish football world to the impending availability of a contracted player... Cant remember what else, but really.... This is quite mental isnt it. It shows where we are and how we are run as a club that we discussed the merits of what was said on here for a wee while and dodnt really step back and go "what the f**k is this guy playing at?"

I'm not convinced this conversation ever took place tbh. 

3 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

The man just absolutely can't stand not being seen as important. Ego maniac.