The Falkirk FC Thread

20 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

If we are indeed in discussions to keep everyone that is leftover in that squad and if they all signed on for next season we'd have a base squad of 12, also assuming Williamson does indeed join and that Sneddon will be in the development squad. All if, buts and maybes but I like trying to build a picture.

Goalkeeper

Robbie Mutch

Defenders

Ryan Williamson

Ben Hall

Paul Dixon

Sean Kelly

Midfielders

Blair Alston

Gary Miller

Callumn Morrison

Charlie Telfer

Aidan Connolly

Strikers

Anton Dowds

Aidan Keena

That’s fucking depressing. They are all shit.

12 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I'd like to think that Miller, Alston, Telfer, Connolly, Dowds would be back up but, as I say, it's the reality of where we are right now so they could all end up being first picks.

Indeed, grim reading but it's where we are as a club right now. I'm hoping if Miller's staying to ride out the last year of his contract he'll be back up. Alston will be shoehorned in if he is staying as he'll be on a very decent wage so can't really afford to have him doing nothing(that's not how it should work but it will be how it goes) so hopefully we see a big improvement from him. Telfer and Connolly will be starters if they re-sign and Dowds will fight it out with whichever strikers we bring in for a starting slot. 

2 hours ago, Rugster said:

I don't really give a f**k about the etiquette of the announcement, what concerns me is that it wasn't announced at the same time as the others which leads me to believe Holt was trying to get him to stay and negotiations eventually broke down and so it was confirmed he is leaving. If Holt was wanting to keep that impostor then it shows his judgement of a player and we're in big fucking trouble. Still.

It may have even been down to the fact that his contract expired a few days after the other players who were announced.  You'll know better than me but did he maybe sign a few days after the others this time last year?  Perhaps the club knew he was leaving but wanted to wait until his contract had officially expired before announcing it.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It may have even been down to the fact that his contract expired a few days after the other players who were announced.  You'll know better than me but did he maybe sign a few days after the others this time last year?  Perhaps the club knew he was leaving but wanted to wait until his contract had officially expired before announcing it.

Akeel Francis was one of the last signings and he was on the first released list so it can't be that. Looks as if we've offered him a reduced contract and he's said no thanks. But we also appear to have done the same with quite a few other so it's strange if we're going to be putting them out one by one. Anyway it's done now and Durnan is gone. Robbo coming back soon?

Seeing The Scream (one version of it; there are several) there reminded me about a fantastic long weekend I spent in Bergen in October 2019. Among much other merriment and exploration we visited the KODE art galleries. Lots of Munch and Picasso among other treasures. Thoroughly recommended. A sensational city. Could imagine it would get hideously busy in Summer, but early Autumn saw it simply glorious. Can't wait to return.

I even re-enacted the photo in my profile which features, I'm sure you all know, Einar "Kvitrafn" Selvik.

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

Indeed, grim reading but it's where we are as a club right now. I'm hoping if Miller's staying to ride out the last year of his contract he'll be back up. Alston will be shoehorned in if he is staying as he'll be on a very decent wage so can't really afford to have him doing nothing(that's not how it should work but it will be how it goes) so hopefully we see a big improvement from him. Telfer and Connolly will be starters if they re-sign and Dowds will fight it out with whichever strikers we bring in for a starting slot. 

I've said before that I'm ok with Miller staying as he can cover a few different positions so, effectively, he could be a back-up RB, CB and CM. I'd have trusted him more than either Durnan or Hall at CB this season tbh.

14 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

As far as I know they're all contracted to 31st May to cover eventuality of play offs (snigger) and Scottish Cup Final (hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah)

56 minutes ago, Rugster said:

As far as I know they're all contracted to 31st May to cover eventuality of play offs (snigger) and Scottish Cup Final (hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah)

To think that it's only 6 years since we ended up drowning our sorrows that day!

26 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Akeel Francis was one of the last signings and he was on the first released list so it can't be that. Looks as if we've offered him a reduced contract and he's said no thanks. But we also appear to have done the same with quite a few other so it's strange if we're going to be putting them out one by one. Anyway it's done now and Durnan is gone. Robbo coming back soon?

He's been back a couple of weeks so I was reading on our thread on here. but nothing official from the club yet.

I also find it very odd that we have a director of football seemingly deciding which players to offer new contracts before we have a manager. 

It’s one thing having a DOF identifying targets for positions requested by the manager. But it seems to me that Holt has a much bigger role than that within the club.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

I also find it very odd that we have a director of football seemingly deciding which players to offer new contracts before we have a manager. 
It’s one thing having a DOF identifying targets for positions requested by the manager. But it seems to me that Holt has a much bigger role than that within the club.

Keep up ffs! The job has been advertised as first team coach; which suggests Holt will be in charge of signings. I’m sure he’ll liaise with the FTC when they’re appointed, but until then it’s up to him.

16 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

We are not appointing a “manager” It’s going to be a head coach who will have input into positions he’s looking to cover etc but he WONT be sourcing the players that’s the whole point of a DOF . 
Holt The Rawlings and their connections will supply the majority I’m sure. 

call me old school but if I were manager I'd want to pick the players to sign that my job and reputation hung on. I think this might put some of the better candidates off.

I'm not keen on dof role, especially in a 3rd tier club. I'd much rather the probably significant wage went on players in this league.  look how short we were for bodies at the end of this season. I'm not at all convinced about Holt either. by all means revisit the dof role when we eventually get back in the championship or even better premiership. all hypothetical now as it seems to be done and permanent.  even more decision when you consider budget restrictions due to covid no fans etc

21 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

call me old school but if I were manager I'd want to pick the players to sign that my job and reputation hung on. I think this might put some of the better candidates off.

I'm not keen on dof role, especially in a 3rd tier club. I'd much rather the probably significant wage went on players in this league.  look how short we were for bodies at the end of this season. I'm not at all convinced about Holt either. by all means revisit the dof role when we eventually get back in the championship or even better premiership. all hypothetical now as it seems to be done and permanent.  even more decision when you consider budget restrictions due to covid no fans etc

A valid concern. That we end up, not with the best candidate, but someone willing and malleable enough to fit in with Holt and whatever his way of working is. I've yet to hear any rationale as to what exactly he has done in his career to be handed this level of influence, basically a carte blanche to decide who stays or goes. He could choose to re-sign, for example, Connolly, Telfer and Hall. Whoever is appointed then decides, after a few days of pre-season training, maybe even sooner, that he doesn't fancy any of them. Don't fit his preferred system. Doesn't like their attitude. Whatever. Resulting in yet more dead money on the books. 

The majority of the premium dross has been released. None of them will be remotely missed, or can any complaints. But absolutely no further signing or re-signing decisions should be getting made until an appointment is confirmed, and whoever that is has been given the final say. The argument that "until then, it's up to Holt" is nonsense. It should not be his call.

53 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

18 minutes ago, AGPar said:

A valid concern. That we end up, not with the best candidate, but someone willing and malleable enough to fit in with Holt and whatever his way of working is. I've yet to hear any rationale as to what exactly he has done in his career to be handed this level of influence, basically a carte blanche to decide who stays or goes. He could choose to re-sign, for example, Connolly, Telfer and Hall. Whoever is appointed then decides, after a few days of pre-season training, maybe even sooner, that he doesn't fancy any of them. Don't fit his preferred system. Doesn't like their attitude. Whatever. Resulting in yet more dead money on the books. 

The majority of the premium dross has been released. None of them will be remotely missed, or can any complaints. But absolutely no further signing or re-signing decisions should be getting made until an appointment is confirmed, and whoever that is has been given the final say. The argument that "until then, it's up to Holt" is nonsense. It should not be his call.

I believe you've both identified the reasons we'll fail next season, and why no one should support this regime with their hard-earned cash.

13 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

So what’s your solution, then?

Get the new manager sorted then let him come in and decide which players he wants to keep for next season and which ones he doesn't. Also once you've got the new manager in he should have the final say on which player comes in.

Perfect scenario, new manager comes in, goes to Holt and says I need a centre midfielder. Holt goes out and gives the manager the options he has sourced and the manager makes the final decision on which player he wants in. It's not rocket science but when a manager has to rely on his squad in order to be successful in their job he should have a say on who's in that squad. 

Edited by FFC 1876

Guest Peter LaFleur
10 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Get the new manager sorted then let him come in and decide which players he wants to keep for next season and which ones he doesn't. Also once you've got the new manager in he should have the final say on which player comes in.

Perfect scenario, new manager comes in, goes to Holt and says I need a centre midfielder. Holt goes out and gives the manager the options he has sourced and the manager makes the final decision on which player he wants in. It's not rocket science but when a manager has to rely on his squad in order to be successful in their job he should have a say on who's in that squad. 

I think/hope this is how it will work once a new manager is in place.

I’m somewhat happier with a cleaner slate and more scope for new manager to bring his own folk than holding onto players / giving them new contracts beyond a few weeks who we already know, collectively weren’t good enough.

Thats only the proviso that it’s money and commitment saved for, presumably better players (depending on how / If Holt recruits without a FTC in place to work with him on it.