The Falkirk FC Thread

8 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

What would you consider an exciting prospect?

Comes down to gut instincts in the end. Some great players turn out to be awful managers and run of the mill jobbers turn out to be top drawer.

Take Alex Ferguson. Well known in the dressing room as a bit of a disruptive influence. Players union rep. 

Not exactly a managerial great prospect

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Comes down to gut instincts in the end. Some great players turn out to be awful managers and run of the mill jobbers turn out to be top drawer.

Take Alex Ferguson. Well known in the dressing room as a bit of a disruptive influence. Players union rep. 

Wanted to be Falkirk boss, but in typical fashion we rejected that idea.

When you put it like that ... it’s been a remarkable period of time.

And .. on a purely footballing level .. 4 of the team that played in those games against Brora are still first team regulars .. including our current top goal scorer. Just goes to show what a decent manager can do.

Just got to get this off my chest.

I have grave concerns regarding the likely appointment of Stuart Taylor and/or Peter Grant as head coach at Falkirk. Their managerial record is strewn with short spells (~ 6-18 months) at clubs in management/coaching roles for the last 15 years culminating in failure. I fear this will continue at Falkirk as each are regressive in management ability terms.

I know I’ve put forward Darren Young previously but his record in 2 spells as manager - Albion Rovers (3 seasons) and East Fife (4 seasons) establishing each part time team as solid League One outfits - is highly creditable. Now, I know we all want more than League One obscurity but these are impressive credentials to consider for a club in our current state (I.e. fcked).

We should appoint Young before the Fifers do.

Edited by HonestAl

Guest Peter LaFleur
8 hours ago, HonestAl said:

Just got to get this off my chest.

I have grave concerns regarding the likely appointment of Stuart Taylor and/or Peter Grant as head coach at Falkirk. Their managerial record is strewn with short spells (~ 6-18 months) at clubs in management/coaching roles for the last 15 years culminating in failure. I fear this will continue at Falkirk as each are regressive in management ability terms.

I know I’ve put forward Darren Young previously but his record in 2 spells as manager - Albion Rovers (3 seasons) and East Fife (4 seasons) establishing each part time team as solid League One outfits - is highly creditable. Now, I know we all want more than League One obscurity but these are impressive credentials to consider for a club in our current state (I.e. fcked).

We should appoint Young before the Fifers do.

Agreed with Taylor/Grant. Don’t think Young is the answer either mind you. He has done probably as expected with East Fife each season with the exception of this season where it’s been a disappointment missing out on the ‘top 5’. Murray at Airdrie would be a safer bet, if they don’t go up, as I believe I read on here he is out of contract.

Guest Ecosse83
11 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

Agreed with Taylor/Grant. Don’t think Young is the answer either mind you. He has done probably as expected with East Fife each season with the exception of this season where it’s been a disappointment missing out on the ‘top 5’. Murray at Airdrie would be a safer bet, if they don’t go up, as I believe I read on here he is out of contract.

If we appoint Murray I’m done!

Guest Peter LaFleur
5 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

If we appoint Murray I’m done!

Haha, just shows how divided the support will be regardless of who is appointed. I don’t trust the board whatsoever to make the right call which is also an issue in all of this. 

1 hour ago, Peter LaFleur said:

Haha, just shows how divided the support will be regardless of who is appointed. I don’t trust the board whatsoever to make the right call which is also an issue in all of this. 

Hit the nail on the head here. I'll make my feelings known when appointment is made but like any appointment the reality will come when they start and they'll be judged on results, and style of play, honesty and integrity when assessing how we are doing and most importantly ability to get the team playing some form of attractive football.

Route 1 can work and be attractive, possession play can work be attractive, counter attack set up can work and be attractive. But none of the last 3/4 managers have been able to get a tune out of their own squads using ANY system they tried. 

Maybe a head coach is what we need as transitioning whatever the f**k they were doing during the week onto the park as been missing for years. 

No matter who we appoint there will still be fans unhappy, especially since some fans think managers of clubs doing better than us would leave for the privilege of managing Falkirk.

Also, can’t wait for the same idiots who don’t like the appointment from the start and say the usual “hate to say I told you so” when it doesn’t work out. There’s a good few on here that enjoy that as if they’re knowledge of football is better than everyone else’s

We have been promised “a rigorous independent process” with a bunch of checks and balances.

All we know is that applications were being submitted to Gary Holt. Thereafter, beyond receiving an email, I don’t think we have a clue as to who and what is involved in the interview and selection process. Is it solely Holt? Is it Holt and Deans? Is it the entire board?  What’s the “independent” part of it? Is it exactly the same set of questions for everyone?

We will probably never know........unless he or she is hugely successful, and then all and sundry on our Board will be alluding to the crucial role they played in all of it.

If it’s another horrific appointment, then Holt will be thrown under the next available bus, and we will be told the appointment was his, and his alone.

Guest Ecosse83
21 minutes ago, Rocco said:

No matter who we appoint there will still be fans unhappy, especially since some fans think managers of clubs doing better than us would leave for the privilege of managing Falkirk.

Also, can’t wait for the same idiots who don’t like the appointment from the start and say the usual “hate to say I told you so” when it doesn’t work out. There’s a good few on here that enjoy that as if they’re knowledge of football is better than everyone else’s

Ooft bit harsh calling me an idiot because I don’t want Ian Murray managing Falkirk 😆

As I understand from Holt’s comments he will draw up a shortlist to present to the board. The board and him will then interview however many candidates are on the shortlist and Holt will tell them who he thinks should get it but the final say will be with the board. 

We don't want the same old, same old so thinking outside the box I came up with these 2.

Jamie Vermiglio, currently manager at Chorley FC. Has got them punching well above their weight, they were in the National League last season, in the National League South this season. Pumped Derby County out the FA Cup this season too.. Only problem with him is that he has got a good headmaster's job outside football.

Daryl McMahon, currently manager of Dagenham and Redbridge in the National League in England. He did a great job at Ebbsfleet before taking over at Macclesfield from Sol Campbell, left after 4 months due to Macclesfield's financial problems. Doing OK at D & R.

As I said earlier, sick of the same old names and faces, we need to get somebody new and relatively unknown. These 2 would probably tell us to F off though anyway.

Edited by Bairn in Exile

I have no idea as to who will be the perfect Coach/Manager for us, but i do know they must be the following;

Have a track record of at least "Being a Winner"

Be able to put up with a DOF telling them in some form who they should sign, and who and how they should play.

Inherit a number of proven failures who are likely to be on a better deal than anybody else will offer them.

Come to a team with a record of sacking managers within 18 months.

A board and support that could not be any more poles apart in opinions.

Try to set out a team to play in a likely toxic stadium atmosphere if things don't get off to a flyer.

The plus side is that if they play flowing attack minded football, and take this league by the scruff of the neck, they will be half way to success with fans that have been starved of entertainment for a number of seasons.

So WHO fancies the job and is the right man for it? Answers on a postcard to....................

If Rawlins have very deep pockets, ask Stephen Robinson what he wants for wages to manage us for a season, get us up then if he gets a better offer he's free to go.  All the names being banded about are just a complete gamble which we cannot afford to do again. 

17 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Sure Michael Stewart and Stuart Lovell are Union reps too but not sure I’d want them as managers, Fraser Wishart too. Does say a lot about their principals but not necessarily means that they’re cut for management.