The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Any coach who can take a player and make them 0.1% better than what they currently are will be streets ahead of what we’ve had for 2 years plus tbf 

Aye, the worry there is we have a DoF setting the squad who wants to talk up the likes Mark Durnan, who with 0.1% improvement would still be 99.9% donkey. 

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

What's the appeal of Stuart Taylor other than he's a bit of an unknown quantity?  

His record isn't exactly great and he's been closely associated with serial failure Paul Lambert over the last few years.  

What am I missing? 

He was F'kn awesome in midfield for us, what can go wrong as a great ex player......oh wait!

What's the appeal of Stuart Taylor other than he's a bit of an unknown quantity?  

His record isn't exactly great and he's been closely associated with serial failure Paul Lambert over the last few years.  

What am I missing? 

The new livi boss was not impaired by having Holt as his boss theve been flying since he left.

2 hours ago, keithgy said:

I have been told Taylor will be head coach with Grant as asst

I think I'd prefer it the other way round if it has to be them. Not convinced by either though. This just smacks of a calculated punt . Probably on the word of Holt who hasn't exactly covered himself in glory of late. 

12 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Dixon , , Durnan,  hall, Connolly, telfer all signed their one year deals in late July last year so maybe that's why they haven't been released yet.  The rest contracts are either about up or happy to get out now.

The available data shows all players contracts expiring either 31 May of 2021 or 2022 (Mitch, Miller, Alston, Morris and Keena).

6 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye, the worry there is we have a DoF setting the squad who wants to talk up the likes Mark Durnan, who with 0.1% improvement would still be 99.9% donkey. 

Here you thats enough of that whats the donkey done to be compared with Durnan?

13 hours ago, Peter LaFleur said:

Correct. If a manager was to come in and want to keep any of that list then we are in for another year of pain.

If the new manager comes in and decides to keep the those that aren't on it then the same rules apply. Hopefully there will be another exodus in the coming days. The thought of the likes of Miller, Hall, Durnan, etc playing for us next season is nauseating. 

12 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Brilliant coach, what the club are looking for.

Spoke to one of his ex-players (Limerick) and he was full of praise for his training methods, motivation, hunger and man management

Does sound encouraging (with the caveat that most of McKinnons favourites would probably say the same about him and his methods)

10 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

I think I'd prefer it the other way round if it has to be them. Not convinced by either though. This just smacks of a calculated punt . Probably on the word of Holt who hasn't exactly covered himself in glory of late. 

While I agree they aren't an exciting prospect, all manager appointments are a calculated punt.  There's no guaranteed success out there for the wages we pay.  

While I agree they aren't an exciting prospect, all manager appointments are a calculated punt.  There's no guaranteed success out there for the wages we pay.  

What would you consider an exciting prospect?

14 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

What would you consider an exciting prospect?

Probably need to be someone I haven't heard of with an excellent record (most likely overseas) bringing a load of exotic contacts and the promise of attacking football to really get the juices flowing. 

12 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Probably need to be someone I haven't heard of with an excellent record (most likely overseas) bringing a load of exotic contacts and the promise of attacking football to really get the juices flowing. 

Mind yon time Dundeh had all the guys under a time of foreign investment and management. Had a few good players by Scottish standards tbf.

And yes I do recall it went horribly in the end. 

Now that I’ve managed to wash out of my mind most of the horrors of this season, I’m starting to look forward to next season.

I see the league starts right at the end of July but presumably the Betfred will start earlier?

Big excitement building up over new coaches and players. That’s the bit I love. Never mind it’ll all go belly up.

The anticipation is always better than the reality. Applies to most things in life.

I recall at the start of the Hartley season when all the new players were brought in, our PR fellow made a great job of the build up.

Kieran - can you arrange something similar again?

Bring it on. When do the ST’s go on sale? Can’t wait!!

4 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I think that whoever we appoint should be immediately sacked. No point in messing around!

Agreed, Shadders will be sure to take him down a peg or too if he fancies getting cocky. 

4 hours ago, keithgy said:

Sad news that John Sludden has passed away aged only 56,always hoped he would sign for us in the day.

3 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

That’s really sad news. Started at Gairdoch didn’t he ? What a striker in his prime. RIP John - taken far too soon.

Whilst I can also remember Andy Bruce, Paul McStay & Sludden. I never realised Ronnie Coyle & John Robertson played in 'that' game too!

Alastair Dick - England v Scotland Schoolboys - Wembley 1980 4-5 Final Score - YouTube

Edited by kiddy

1 hour ago, BountyBairn said:

Mind yon time Dundeh had all the guys under a time of foreign investment and management. Had a few good players by Scottish standards tbf.

And yes I do recall it went horribly in the end. 

Bit like us with Fulton in charge despite him being an old chancer the managers and players he signed before we went wobbly were  superb  When it went wrong it was as spectacularly bad as it had been good . From Maurice Johnston Chris waddle to John lambie 

Edited by Stainrod

6 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

Bit like us with Fulton in charge despite him being an old chancer the managers and players he signed before we went wobbly were  superb  When it went wrong it was as spectacularly bad as it had been good . From Maurice Johnston Chris waddle to John lambie 

Remember it well, Chris Waddle being one that sticks in memory clearly. Must have sold a tonne of shirts with his name on.