The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Yflab said:

St Mirren and St Johnstone have won a fair number of major honours since Falkirk last won a major honou. Falkirk don’t even own their stadium and they have no Youth academy. Like you they only have a 3 sided ground. You’ve not won a major honour for close on 50 years. Most of your fans have never experienced the joy that brings. Say hello to another “sleeping giant” in Morton who have not been in the top flight since the 80s. 

I've no idea what this "honou" that you speak of is. I've no idea what your point is either. Do you? Or are you bored again today and engaging in a spot of 🎣

19 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I think one of the biggest drawbacks around the Falkirk job is that it’s the Falkirk job in League One.

Hear me out.

Of course Falkirk are a reasonable sized club and at this tier one of the (if not the) biggest club. For any half decent manager of the type you want then they either have to succeed or have their career potentially ruined by failing with a full time club in this league.

I know it was pie in the sky thinking but let’s just say you were able to put a financial package together and tempt McInnes along.  If he came in and had a disaster then that would really be it for him.

The list of managers who Falkirk fans would accept and be happy with I would guess already is quite a small one. 

You could also say any manager fully confident in his own ability should see this as a great move. Biggest budget in the league, biggest crowds in the league to back the team great facilties etc Team at a low ebb . Should be able to build a side to get out this league comfortably and then look to compete well in the championship.  It's only a bad job if you don't believe in yourself.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

It’s fairly well accepted what a sleeping giant is in football. A club with the potential to be successful domestically on a regular basis.

Falkirk should yo-yo between the top two tiers. That’s the size of that club.

You said it kid. Fairly well accepted by you doesn't necessarily extend to the whole of football chatter. As, and thanks to, @Ranaldo Bairn said, stop getting hung up on what he means/she means. 

You could also say any manager fully confident in his own ability should see this as a great move. Biggest budget in the league, biggest crowds in the league to back the team great facilties etc Team at a low ebb . Should be able to build a side to get out this league comfortably and then look to compete well in the championship.  It's only a bad job if you don't believe in yourself.
Alternatively, a shrewd manager in Scotland, who likely knows one or all of Houston, Hartley or McKinnon might look and think.... Why are Falkirk a total shitstain on the records of these unremarkable, but at least competent managers, two of whom are currently active and acting to get promoted from/into the league we are in.

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
16 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Alternatively, a shrewd manager in Scotland, who likely knows one or all of Houston, Hartley or McKinnon might look and think.... Why are Falkirk a total shitstain on the records of these unremarkable, but at least competent managers, two of whom are currently active and acting to get promoted from/into the league we are in.

Those managers had noone to blame but themselves for getting sacked. All 3 signed poor quality players. Houston and his Alex Harris's and John Rankin's, Hartley and his mob of dross whether from down south or up north and McKinnon with his mind numbingly boring and brutal team. They had the budget and they spent it as they saw fit. If they had spent it more wisely they might still be there. Yes it's 100 percent the bods fault for appointing these chumps but after that they can't blame anyone else for their failures.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

The worrying part for me is this. 

"There will be changes to our squad, and we will be making announcements on this in the next few days and weeks, as we release players and bring in new faces."

Why aren't we waiting until a manager is in place to make these decisions? By god we know the majority of our players are awful but Holt shouldn't be making the decisions on who should be staying especially after he was lauding Durnan's or 'vinnie's' commitment to the cause after the Airdrie game.

That was confusing me when I hear Williamson was moving to Falkirk. What if the new manager doesn't rate him? More wasted capital. As for Ryan, dafc fans told us he was ok going forward and getting balls into the box but lacking defensively and that still stands. He's kinda meh, won't give you the fear when on the team sheet.

Those managers had noone to blame but themselves for getting sacked. All 3 signed poor quality players. Houston and his Alex Harris's and John Rankin's, Hartley and his mob of dross whether from down south or up north and McKinnon with his mind numbingly boring and brutal team. They had the budget and they spent it as they saw fit. If they had spent it more widely they might still be there. Yes it's 100 percent the bods fault for appointing these chumps but after that they can't blame anyone else for their failures.
All im doing is pointing out why the argument that we look a good job for a confident manager might well be diminishing rapidly. A sacking club with a clown for a DoF above you and no youth set up to provide you with young talent/anyone with resale value.

Not the budget big player in the division anymore either with QP joining and potential for Cove staying.

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
21 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

In fairness when you look at what McKinnon is achieving at Queens Park with the budget he has it really wouldnt be difficult its as he starts to go up the leagues when the money he has available starts to run out and its the same players that failed with us struggle with them as they go up the leagues as they age as well.  

18 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

All im doing is pointing out why the argument that we look a good job for a confident manager might well be diminishing rapidly. A sacking club with a clown for a DoF above you and no youth set up to provide you with young talent/anyone with resale value.

Not the budget big player in the division anymore either with QP joining and potential for Cove staying.

You cant really call us a sacking club as looking at how the last 3 managers have panned out then any club would have sacked them.  Someone with a point to prove and not the usual suspects wheeled out in the managerial merry go round, the current list by McBookie is underwhelming though

Edited by AL-FFC

The first signing for next season needs to be a good one. a statement of intent if you like so that following signings know we mean business this season and are more likely to follow suit. same for fans buying into it.

the thought of facing McKinnon and hartley next season, probably both with decent sides should be enough motivation for everyone

5 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

You cant really call us a sacking club as looking at how the last 3 managers have panned out then any club would have sacked them.  Someone with a point to prove and not the usual suspects wheeled out in the managerial merry go round, he current list by McBookie is underwhelming though

That Deans statement is beyond belief. So Gary was handed a near impossible task of getting two points from 4 games.....3 of them being against part time sides. I am certainly not buying a wee half arsed apology as anywhere near good enough. I am sick to death of the “it wisnae us” default position of our board. For me, that statement was akin to looking down on the smouldering wreck of a season, and deciding “yeah, let’s add 5 litres of unleaded and see what happens”. Even the simplest of things will be chewed to bits by this crew. “That’s it done lads, I have put out a statement, carry on, we are golden”.

4 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

The first signing for next season needs to be a good one. a statement of intent if you like so that following signings know we mean business this season and are more likely to follow suit. same for fans buying into it.

the thought of facing McKinnon and hartley next season, probably both with decent sides should be enough motivation for everyone

We just can’t keep on accepting appeasement of managers getting the heave as proper governance. There is zero accountability or responsibility at FFC. If the Rawlins are buying into this, then sweet Jesus, the UK BoD must be the masters of spin. Either that, or the Rawlins really aren’t smarter than the average bear after all.

Tinker around the edges, chuck the punters a bit of red meat every now and then, and we can carry on as if nothing happened. Enough already. We have all had enough of it.

10 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

That Deans statement is beyond belief. So Gary was handed a near impossible task of getting two points from 4 games.....3 of them being against part time sides. I am certainly not buying a wee half arsed apology as anywhere near good enough. I am sick to death of the “it wisnae us” default position of our board. For me, that statement was akin to looking down on the smouldering wreck of a season, and deciding “yeah, let’s add 5 litres of unleaded and see what happens”. Even the simplest of things will be chewed to bits by this crew. “That’s it done lads, I have put out a statement, carry on, we are golden”.

The way i look at the Holt appointment and as he says himself he doesn't want the managers job its no different to Eddie May being charge of the youth set up and being shoe horned into being the manager.  If he can earn a wage as a DoF where he doesn't have to concentrate on the next opponent etc. bother about players not trying there arse and basically in for an easy ride and focusing on an Academy of some sort where he is just looking out for the next batch of young players that could poss shine in the first team with a view to selling on why would he want to manage again.

The way we ended the season i reckon there is more to it. could quite simply be the players that were about to run out of contract thought they would have been offered new contracts so effectively downed tools on the club and not so much as manager as a final GIRUY.

9 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

What's the betting that the first signing of the season will be:

• Ryan Williamson
  • A goalkeeper who will most likely warm the bench
  • An extension to Mark Durnan's contract

Also, following that attempt at taking ownership of the situation, I'm wondering if one of our alleged team will step forward and bleat about how unfair we fans are a la Paul Dixon?

1 minute ago, Taxi for De Massis said:

• Ryan Williamson

Also, following that attempt at taking ownership of the situation, I'm wondering if one of our alleged team will step forward and bleat about how unfair we fans are a la Paul Dixon?

number 3 on that gives me the fear and we might as well consign ourselves to another season in league 1 I fully expect the club to go one better though and name Durnan Captain for the coming season.

46 minutes ago, banditjag said:

That was confusing me when I hear Williamson was moving to Falkirk. What if the new manager doesn't rate him? More wasted capital. As for Ryan, dafc fans told us he was ok going forward and getting balls into the box but lacking defensively and that still stands. He's kinda meh, won't give you the fear when on the team sheet.

In this league we should be attacking every team we come up against and Williamson for me was the best attacking full back in the league this season by a country mile. Caused us all sorts of havoc in the games against us. Won a penalty in the first game at Firhill and assisted for the first goal in the 5-0 humping at Firhill. He'd be daft to come to our shit show of a club right now but I'd take a one legged Williamson over some of the right backs we've had to put up with the last few years.

Edited by FFC 1876

1 hour ago, Taxi for De Massis said:

• Ryan Williamson

I'm afraid that the Durnans of this world will be the level of player that we can realistically afford as ST sales etc will be well down. Unless the Rawlins' come up with more cash then the playing budget will be reduced and we'll be shopping in Poundland.