The Falkirk FC Thread

No. doubt that statement will be more than enough to placate the "COyb we go again next week !!!" bunch into shovelling more money into season ticket sales, ensuring nothing changes as we continue our descent down the pyramid. 

1 minute ago, PedroMoutinho said:

It’s alright- Gary Holt had an ‘almost impossible task’ apparently. Injuries all to blame.

Nothing to do with the shite tactics or dreadful signings then.

I do actually think he went into a job that was soiled from the start with the squad M&M had assembled but there was still enough there to get more than the 1 point we did.

FFS @TheScarf

Sleeping giant is clearly a nonsense of a phrase in our situation, but he's trying to capture the idea that we are grossly underachieving compared to what our income/support/facilities would indicate we should expect.

Stop getting hung up on the label: we know what he meant.

20 minutes ago, banditjag said:

In your opinion and so eloquently put. Scottish education at its finest.

I'm right, you're wrong, in my opinion.

I think they are a sleeping giant. Not in the way of a Sunderland but comparative to the small country that we are. A club falkirks size and potential should be spending most of their time in the top division. They are not well run so aren't, but the fact remains they should be.

Falkirk are a bigger club in terms if resourcesand fan base than st johnstone, st Mirren, Hamilton, but are not as well run and so are where they are. Clearly my sleeping giant isn't yours, that doesn't mean I'm "talking shite" just because I'm not getting on board with your shitfest.

It’s fairly well accepted what a sleeping giant is in football. A club with the potential to be successful domestically on a regular basis.

Falkirk should yo-yo between the top two tiers. That’s the size of that club.

2 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

FFS @TheScarf

Sleeping giant is clearly a nonsense of a phrase in our situation, but he's trying to capture the idea that we are grossly underachieving compared to what our income/support/facilities would indicate we should expect.

Stop getting hung up on the label: we know what he meant.

Yes, he’s clearly made an arse of getting his point across. I’ll leave him be.

Don't think it's a bad statement but it doesn't mean anything. We've heard it all before.
Only thing that matters now is actions and I suspect most Falkirk fans will be holding off on STs etc to see what we actually do to rectify things.

The club has become utterly pointless. There is no serious ambition to achieve anything other than be a vessel of self righteousness for those with a little extra money in their lives.

Time to put this sleeping giant to sleep and give us all our Saturday afternoon's back so we can go shopping with the wife's and partners.

31 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

We're more of a slinky than a yo-yo. Clumsily descending to ever more farcical depths.

Outstanding 🤣

29 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

A grovelling statement has just came out from Deans.

OPEN LETTER FROM THE CHAIRMAN – Falkirk Football Club (falkirkfc.co.uk)

Would be happy enough to have ended that with the apology, rather than all the mewling excuses about circumstances endured by all football clubs. The break came at the perfect time for us, it was the perfect time for Deans and Co to do everything that was needed including sack or back the managers we had in place. Something he reallt ought to acknowledge consodering he is offering excuses for Holt by saying performances had been sliding for a while. If they were sliding, you should have opened your eyes and dealt with it Gary. Whatever it would have cost at the time has now been multiplied several fold and it really didnt take anything more than a group of fans on a forum to foresee it as a likely scenario. 

No excuses at all then

10 minutes ago, ChrispPancake said:

The club has become utterly pointless. There is no serious ambition to achieve anything other than be a vessel of self righteousness for those with a little extra money in their lives.

Time to put this sleeping giant to sleep and give us all our Saturday afternoon's back so we can go shopping with the wife's and partners.

Oh come on, that’s not fair at all. There’s gardens to tend too.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Outstanding 🤣

Would be happy enough to have ended that with the apology, rather than all the mewling excuses about circumstances endured by all football clubs. The break came at the perfect time for us, it was the perfect time for Deans and Co to do everything that was needed including sack or back the managers we had in place. Something he reallt ought to acknowledge consodering he is offering excuses for Holt by saying performances had been sliding for a while. If they were sliding, you should have opened your eyes and dealt with it Gary. Whatever it would have cost at the time has now been multiplied several fold and it really didnt take anything more than a group of fans on a forum to foresee it as a likely scenario. 

No excuses at all then

The thing is results were poor and sliding but we were still top of the league, it would be mental for anyone to sack them then trouble is we had to fall off top spot for them to be shown the door which by any means was too late.  There was always the outside chance we might have limped across the finish line but for the dross we have to drop faster than a lead balloon.

I think Deans had to put something out as we all expected it. To be entirely fair to him and the rest of the chumps on the board the only thing they could say that would make me part with my ST money is the MSG are selling up and will have f**k all to do with the club going forward.

Well, that apology is a clear admission of guilt when you read this line:

All of the Board have been asked the same question – what went wrong?  We were, after all, 3 points clear at the top with 6 games to go.  The truth is that performances had been declining before that and since the return from league suspension which left us all very concerned

This being the case, those in charge clearly didn't address it either by getting rid of Miller and McCracken earlier. Of course, signing players capable of shoring up the title (and were we not 8 points ahead at one point?) would help but if that is Holt's task to recommend signing targets to the coaches, then we may not have seen a good return on the money.

The Q&A may well be some effort to engage fans but it only works if the fans make it clear in both words and actions, rather than a few questions about "who are we going to sign?" or the odd expression of approval. Turn up in numbers (virtually or in person) and withhold the cash. Yes, those in charge will moan about, pleading inability to realise goals without support, but this "slow decline" (an affront to be saying this) can't be allowed to continue.

In the next few days, I expect (one or more of) the following on social media:

• A big announcement of our first signing in the form of Ryan Williamson looking puzzled as he tries on the new shirt while "looking forward to a great season", or "big club", or "its facilities" or "the fans, aye" any statement with those words in them
  • A big announcement about our new shirt being modelled by our new signing
  • An early bird special on season tickets, with a picture of a grinning Holt (enough to horrify anyone)
  • More additions to the board
  • A friendly involving a mediocre Premiership side

Just now, Taxi for De Massis said:

Well, that apology is a clear admission of guilt when you read this line:

All of the Board have been asked the same question – what went wrong?  We were, after all, 3 points clear at the top with 6 games to go.  The truth is that performances had been declining before that and since the return from league suspension which left us all very concerned

This being the case, those in charge clearly didn't address it either by getting rid of Miller and McCracken earlier. Of course, signing players capable of shoring up the title (and were we not 8 points ahead at one point?) would help but if that is Holt's task to recommend signing targets to the coaches, then we may not have seen a good return on the money.

The Q&A may well be some effort to engage fans but it only works if the fans make it clear in both words and actions, rather than a few questions about "who are we going to sign?" or the odd expression of approval. Turn up in numbers (virtually or in person) and withhold the cash. Yes, those in charge will moan about, pleading inability to realise goals without support, but this "slow decline" (an affront to be saying this) can't be allowed to continue.

In the next few days, I expect (one or more of) the following on social media:

• A big announcement of our first signing in the form of Ryan Williamson looking puzzled as he tries on the new shirt while "looking forward to a great season", or "big club", or "its facilities" or "the fans, aye" any statement with those words in them
  • A big announcement about our new shirt being modelled by our new signing
  • An early bird special on season tickets, with a picture of a grinning Holt (enough to horrify anyone)
  • More additions to the board
  • A friendly involving a mediocre Premiership side

As someone has replied on twitter to the club statement,  if results were declining why didn't the board act quicker to address it.

The worrying part for me is this. 

"There will be changes to our squad, and we will be making announcements on this in the next few days and weeks, as we release players and bring in new faces."

Why aren't we waiting until a manager is in place to make these decisions? By god we know the majority of our players are awful but Holt shouldn't be making the decisions on who should be staying especially after he was lauding Durnan's or 'vinnie's' commitment to the cause after the Airdrie game.

Edited by FFC 1876

Just now, FFC 1876 said:

The worrying for me is this part. Why aren't we waiting until a manager is in place to make these decisions? By god we know the majority of our players are awful but Holt shouldn't be making the decisions on who should be staying especially after he was lauding Durnan's or 'vinnie's' commitment to the cause after the Airdrie game.

"There will be changes to our squad, and we will be making announcements on this in the next few days and weeks, as we release players and bring in new faces."

I agree with this. No decent manager is going to take the job if Holt is dictating what players come and go.