The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Jesus....

You dont think in lower league Scottish Football season ticket and gate money consistently greater than that of your near rivals should form part of a setup where you are able to beat your near rivals?

Largely lost among folk piling in to this thread, reading very little of it then going "HAHAHAHA CROWDWANK!!!!" is that in general terms, the discussion around crowds is how the f**k have Falkirk managed to retain objectively good to very good gate numbers and how has that revenue stream been transformed into the turgid shits we are served up once through said gate

Edit to add, you may find that you think it gets disproportionate discussion on here, thats because theres fucking loads of us

Of course it does, but League One isn't the glass ceiling for Falkirk is it? 'Sleeping Giant' implies you could be a top flight (top 6) side consistently.  Falkirk will never be as big as the OF, Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts or Dundee United.  They're very much not a 'sleeping giant'.  They're a yo-yo club between the top two tiers. Like they have been for probably 98% of all members of this website's lives.

Of course it does, but League One isn't the glass ceiling for Falkirk is it? 'Sleeping Giant' implies you could be a top flight (top 6) side consistently.  Falkirk will never be as big as the OF, Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts or Dundee United.  They're very much not a 'sleeping giant'.  They're a yo-yo club between the top two tiers. Like they have been for probably 98% of all members of this website's lives.

Well aye, that seems like a bit of a strawman you are setting up there though?

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

OK then we are a sleeping yo-yo.

5 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Totally agree but 2 things  your missing here is 1 we are Falkirk and 2 if it pisses off the fanbase then the MSG/BoD are sure to go for it

Given the associated risks in withdrawal of season ticket monies alienating the support just now would be politically suicidal in my opinion.

Out of curiosity does anybody know how much it would take to purchase the stake of the current two main shareholders left 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Well aye, that seems like a bit of a strawman you are setting up there though?

Not really, it's pretty easy to bat away the notion that Falkirk are a sleeping giant without giving it more that minimal thought and reasoning.

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:
Not really, it's pretty easy to bat away the notion that Falkirk are a sleeping giant without giving it more that minimal thought and reasoning.

Well I personally dont recall anyone conparing us directly to the teams you have mentioned or saying we should be competing with them on the basis of crowd size. I certainly dont think we should be competing with Aberdeen.

I do think that with the footballing budget (including that which is handed from the fans to the club over the turnstile) we have had and by virtue of being a full time team with excellent facilities, we should be doing significantly better than we are.

Also, you have very much came eith your own interpretation of what sleeping giant means and it to  be shared by all of us posting here. If anyone even has referred to Falkirk as a sleeping giant....

Edited by Bairnardo

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Who called us a ‘sleeping giant’ ??

Just now, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Who called us a ‘sleeping giant’ ??

1 hour ago, banditjag said:

Would it be too much to suggest taking a small positive from all of this? Iver 120,000 posts from Falkirk fans on one thread. Surely the biggest sleeping giant in Scottish football. There are a huge number of clubs can only dream of Falkirk fanbase. I'd hope your owner can see that's an indication that if he gets it right he will get a return, although I suspect that's not what he is at the club for.

I see why everyone is so despondent, it's been a complete clusterfuck of a few seasons, but as much as it all looks unfixable, all it takes is getting the right manager in. It really is that simple. I know many will think that is way too simplistic but the right manager brings the right coaching staff and players in. It all starts and ends with having the right person in charge of the team. Owners, bod's are an aside (of course they all have to get on ad a management team), having the right guy for the right club is the main ingredient. Dont lose hope, you've had the right guy many times before.

2 minutes ago, Kircer bairn said:

Given the associated risks in withdrawal of season ticket monies alienating the support just now would be politically suicidal in my opinion.

Out of curiosity does anybody know how much it would take to purchase the stake of the current two main shareholders left 

It's going to be a real struggle getting the fans on board again. I can't see the new manager being a name that will get the fans salivating even if he's the right man for the job.  Same with the players we bring in. We've tried the Alston route etc and it's bitten us on the arse. Again the players we bring in may be the players we need but won't get anyone excited again. So how do they get fans encouraged to buy seasons before seeing results on the park? God knows.

@TheScarfSo a Partick fan? You'd have to ask them what makes us so massive then :)

1 hour ago, banditjag said:

Would it be too much to suggest taking a small positive from all of this? Iver 120,000 posts from Falkirk fans on one thread. Surely the biggest sleeping giant in Scottish football. There are a huge number of clubs can only dream of Falkirk fanbase. I'd hope your owner can see that's an indication that if he gets it right he will get a return, although I suspect that's not what he is at the club for.

I see why everyone is so despondent, it's been a complete clusterfuck of a few seasons, but as much as it all looks unfixable, all it takes is getting the right manager in. It really is that simple. I know many will think that is way too simplistic but the right manager brings the right coaching staff and players in. It all starts and ends with having the right person in charge of the team. Owners, bod's are an aside (of course they all have to get on ad a management team), having the right guy for the right club is the main ingredient. Dont lose hope, you've had the right guy many times before.

Edited by Gollum

I know he's a Thistle fan, his username kind of gives that away.  Are we only allowed to debate Falkirk fans on this thread?

I know he's a Thistle fan, his username kind of gives that away.  Are we only allowed to debate Falkirk fans on this thread?
Id rather have that than the Rangers fan and the idiot with all the pictures who cant think tbf.

Bash on.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Id rather have that than the Rangers fan and the idiot with all the pictures who cant think tbf.

Bash on.

That's fair.

26 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Motherwell, Inverness, St Johnstone, Livingston, Kilmarnock, Partick Thistle and Ross County have all finished in the top 6 in recent years. 

All of them are a similar size or smaller to Falkirk. I don’t think it’s ludicrous to expect a club of our size to be an established premier league team pushing for the top 6.

I would say it depends on your definition of “sleeping giant”.

I agree we are a yo yo prem/champ club (based on a number of factors - income generated by support size, history, facilities etc etc). Trouble is we haven’t hit the good bit of the “yo” in 10+ years and are now mid/lower table league 1. We are so so far away from being this “yo yo” club that you could maybe make a case we are a sleeping giant? If a “giant” can be classed as a yo-yo champ/prem club 

3 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Motherwell, Inverness, St Johnstone, Livingston, Kilmarnock, Partick Thistle and Ross County have all finished in the top 6 in recent years. 

All of them are a similar size or smaller to Falkirk. I don’t think it’s ludicrous to expect a club of our size to be an established premier league team pushing for the top 6.

Consistently (which big clubs in Scotland do)  none of them have.  Also, none of those clubs are either giants or sleeping giants of Scottish football.

12 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It's going to be a real struggle getting the fans on board again. I can't see the new manager being a name that will get the fans salivating even if he's the right man for the job.  Same with the players we bring in. We've tried the Alston route etc and it's bitten us on the arse. Again the players we bring in may be the players we need but won't get anyone excited again. So how do they get fans encouraged to buy seasons before seeing results on the park? God knows.

Its going to be a case of the potential manager interviewing the club. With the clusterfuck over the last few seasons the potential new manager will want security, real power and as good as a free hand.

Along the lines of Yes ! will sort out the mess but I want the likes of a 3 - 4 year contract, complete control of team matters including player recruitment, youth policy, guaranteed funding. 

26 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

So how do they get fans encouraged to buy seasons before seeing results on the park? God knows.

Alexander and Ritchie buggering off for good, never to darken our door again, and taking their assorted boardroom stooges with them, probably would not do much harm