The Falkirk FC Thread

13 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Not the club but their careers. You need players that take pride in their own performances and don't just turn up and go through the motions. We play against part time teams every week where the players bust a gut either to move on in the game or at the very least so they have some personal pride in their own work. They fight kick and scratch for each other noatter what team they personally favour. 

That is definitely it. You seem to have guys who have played at a higher level and are on their way down, who know that no matter how well they do they are only going to delay their move down the leagues by another season or two. That isn't the same level of motivation as younger guys looking to work their way up to a level they haven't played at before - whether it's with their current club or by getting a move. There are issues with having these younger guys too - many turn out to not be good enough - but it's important for the make up of a squad to have a good number of them. That is one thing Airdrie do have, most of the team are younger, hungrier players. Again they aren't all very good but at least you know they are fully committed to playing well, whether that's for selfish or selfless reasons doesn't really matter.

The other end of that spectrum is loanees who will want to do well, but at the same time aren't going to bust a gut as they know they'll be going back to their own club at a higher level anyway. Like I said in the match thread there was something about the attitude of Falkirk last night that just seemed wrong. I'm sure on a conscious level they are trying, but that's different from having a real desire and motivation to win at all costs.

23 minutes ago, Left Back said:

How many players at any club do you think actually give a toss about that club?  It's a job to them all.  If you're hoping for a team of badge kissers you're utterly deluded.

Thing is, I grew up with Falkirk teams who had great team spirit. It was often spoken about and was something to be proud of. Jeffries: fantastic team spirit. Totten: exactly the same for the most part. McCall: absolutely for his short time. Hughes: maybe a bit iffy here but I still think so. Presley had the academy boys with some decent experience. Houston brought back the Jeffries style spirit back too. Listen to the Hope Street podcasts and it’s all there. There was exceptions like Lambie/Bannon and May but, over the course, 25 years of great squads generally. It’s now completely disappeared. Performances aside, that is pretty gutting.

16 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

You make some really good points Tbf mate. 

The only one I’d disagree with is that we can’t outspend as they are being funded through some ‘sponsorship deal’ by Lord Willie Haughey. I’m sure it’ll be structured in such a way that’ll it will bypass the financial fair play rules.

Well if you can’t outspend them, you’ll be able to get somewhere close. Even something like 85-90% of their budget would give you a really good chance providing you spend that money better than they do. That’s where the competitive edge has to come in.

4 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

That is definitely it. You seem to have guys who have played at a higher level and are on their way down, who know that no matter how well they do they are only going to delay their move down the leagues by another season or two. That isn't the same level of motivation as younger guys looking to work their way up to a level they haven't played at before - whether it's with their current club or by getting a move. There are issues with having these younger guys too - many turn out to not be good enough - but it's important for the make up of a squad to have a good number of them. That is one thing Airdrie do have, most of the team are younger, hungrier players. Again they aren't all very good but at least you know they are fully committed to playing well, whether that's for selfish or selfless reasons doesn't really matter.

The other end of that spectrum is loanees who will want to do well, but at the same time aren't going to bust a gut as they know they'll be going back to their own club at a higher level anyway. Like I said in the match thread there was something about the attitude of Falkirk last night that just seemed wrong. I'm sure on a conscious level they are trying, but that's different from having a real desire and motivation to win at all costs.

Absolutely spot on. We had the same issue last season to a lesser extent . You need to have a good blend of experience and youth. Ours has not had that balance especially in the middle of the park where we are continually out fought and out ran by teams with younger more eager midfields. That should have been sorted in the summer but we just got more of the same with the likes of Alston being signed. Too many players have signed for one last decent pay day thinking it would be an easy ride in league one but if you aren't willing to bust a gut then it's far from that.

21 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

You make some really good points Tbf mate. 

The only one I’d disagree with is that we can’t outspend as they are being funded through some ‘sponsorship deal’ by Lord Willie Haughey. I’m sure it’ll be structured in such a way that’ll it will bypass the financial fair play rules.

It's the 5 million quid they got for selling Hampden that's funding them. Even then it's not man city we're talking about here and it certainly won't be the easy ride they got in league 2.  They'll be playing away from lesser  Hampden for a good bit of the season too so I'm more worried about us than them to be honest.

6 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Thing is, I grew up with Falkirk teams who had great team spirit. It was often spoken about and was something to be proud of. Jeffries: fantastic team spirit. Totten: exactly the same for the most part. McCall: absolutely for his short time. Hughes: maybe a bit iffy here but I still think so. Presley had the academy boys with some decent experience. Houston brought back the Jeffries style spirit back too. Listen to the Hope Street podcasts and it’s all there. There was exceptions like Lambie/Bannon and May but, over the course, 25 years of great squads generally. It’s now completely disappeared. Performances aside, that is pretty gutting.

Completely agree, and for me this is by far the biggest disconnect I have. I'm not arsed if it's a hybrid full time/part time squad but give me players who look like they want to be there bursting a gut and generally trying to give us something to enjoy.

It should be something to look forward to on a Saturday. For the last few years the players we have had on the park have mostly looked terrified and like they've never met each other. I'm going into games where my default feeling is anger or dreading the games before we've even started.

A lot of what Holt has been saying is nonsense and the "smiles on their faces" is birthday caird pish, but in some sense he is right in that regard. The more likeable players in recent years have been the ones showing some emotion or being willing to have a bit of a laugh (eg Rudden pretending to chuck that ball at the Thistle player, Longridge going bananas in front of the South Stand when he scored against Raith). Who is most like that in the current squad? 

I'm rambling a bit but you're dead on re team spirit and "characters" being in short supply.

1 hour ago, ilostmyself said:

Cmon lads, that was 2 seasons and 4 managers ago, get with the current disaster

To be honest with you mate, I look at what's happened to Falkirk and my overriding emotion is relief that it isn't us. We were so close in 16/17, god only knows what kind of state we would be in now if we'd been relegated then.

11 minutes ago, GAD said:

To be honest with you mate, I look at what's happened to Falkirk and my overriding emotion is relief that it isn't us. We were so close in 16/17, god only knows what kind of state we would be in now if we'd been relegated then.

We're very fortunate that we are currently on a decent financial footing or it could have been even worse.  Makes it all the more galling that we still can make such a complete mess of things.

7 minutes ago, GAD said:

Instead we

- are about to become majority fan owned

- own our 4 sided stadium that hosts international u21 games

- play on grass not plastic

- surplus cash in bank

- have an excellent youth academy with a pathway to top league football that produces international stars heading to the Euros this year with possibly more to follow

- have reached two semi finals in one season for the first time since the early 80s

- are the only domestic team so far to have beaten The Rangers over 90mins this season

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We're very fortunate that we are currently on a decent financial footing or it could have been even worse.  Makes it all the more galling that we still can make such a complete mess of things.

...and there's still further to fall! 😄

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Just get a likeable team on the park again and make it enjoyable to go to the football again before anything else. It has been hellish watching us over the last four years with players who are faceless, cowardly or both. There are a thousand things we should (rightly) want changed at the club but for me the most fundamental is give me some entertainment on a Saturday, otherwise I'm so worn down watching a lot of generic plodders that I'll just go and watch eg Pollok in an entertaining game with my mates where I can get in for £6 and get a pint at half time. At our "best" in the last 3 or 4 years we have been unbelievably dull.

This point about making us more enjoyable to watch is practical as well. A full-time team in L1 should be dominating possession and playing attacking football due to the resources and extra time on the training pitch. We've had these advantages over 8 other sides (9 last season) and you wouldn't even know it.

6 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Instead we

- are about to become majority fan owned

- own our 4 sided stadium that hosts international u21 games

- play on grass not plastic

- surplus cash in bank

- have an excellent youth academy with a pathway to top league football that produces international stars heading to the Euros this year with possibly more to follow

- have reached two semi finals in one season for the first time since the early 80s

- are the only domestic team so far to have beaten The Rangers over 90mins this season

We had all of these apart from 2 at the point shit hit the fan. It can change very quickly. 

26 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Completely agree, and for me this is by far the biggest disconnect I have. I'm not arsed if it's a hybrid full time/part time squad but give me players who look like they want to be there bursting a gut and generally trying to give us something to enjoy.

It should be something to look forward to on a Saturday. For the last few years the players we have had on the park have mostly looked terrified and like they've never met each other. I'm going into games where my default feeling is anger or dreading the games before we've even started.

A lot of what Holt has been saying is nonsense and the "smiles on their faces" is birthday caird pish, but in some sense he is right in that regard. The more likeable players in recent years have been the ones showing some emotion or being willing to have a bit of a laugh (eg Rudden pretending to chuck that ball at the Thistle player, Longridge going bananas in front of the South Stand when he scored against Raith). Who is most like that in the current squad? 

I'm rambling a bit but you're dead on re team spirit and "characters" being in short supply.

Yogi, a big Hibee, still brought so much to the club as a player. Will Vaulks, organising golf days to bring the East and West Coast boys closer together. 

Your lucky if you get a brilliant player who supports your team like Crunchie in your lifetime but just getting a Rudden into the squad gives it a lift. We may well have a good dressing room just now (young loanees and all) but it doesn’t manifest itself in the games.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Just get a likeable team on the park again and make it enjoyable to go to the football again before anything else. It has been hellish watching us over the last four years with players who are faceless, cowardly or both. There are a thousand things we should (rightly) want changed at the club but for me the most fundamental is give me some entertainment on a Saturday, otherwise I'm so worn down watching a lot of generic plodders that I'll just go and watch eg Pollok in an entertaining game with my mates where I can get in for £6 and get a pint at half time. At our "best" in the last 3 or 4 years we have been unbelievably dull.

Absolutely spot on.

Players like Vaulks, Sibbald, Farid, Mark Miller, hell even Kallum Higgenbotham looked like they actually enjoyed being here and the fans absolutely loved them.

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Is that your preference or are you ITK?

If that were “ITK”, then we must have a “rigorous independent process” that is written on half a sheet of printing paper.

Still hugely uneasy about anyone at our club having the right credentials to hire a new manager. It’s as if the Board have one more major screw up to give, and they are determined to get it done ASAP.

2 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

If that were “ITK”, then we must have a “rigorous independent process” that is written on half a sheet of printing paper.

Still hugely uneasy about anyone at our club having the right credentials to hire a new manager. It’s as if the Board have one more major screw up to give, and they are determined to get it done ASAP.

Most of ‘the board’ haven’t even been in post for a year- what ‘major screw ups’ have they had in that time?

3 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

We had all of these apart from 2 at the point shit hit the fan. It can change very quickly. 

Absolutely!

But it would seem our model of living within our means is better suited than yours. 

Like you we sold our old ground to a supermarket. Difference is we cleared our debt and built a brand new stadium using the proceeds of the sale. You don’t even own your own stadium now and have no youth academy which is the lifeblood of a provincial football club.

Face facts. You would love to be in our situation. We are the model for all diddy clubs to follow.

I lost my way with Falkirk from 2012 (think it was the 5-2 home defeat to Livi that done it after lots of mediocrity) until Houston’s appointment, that pulled the heart strings. It was also mainly the league set up (pre-play offs) that signalled me stopping going to games. 

This is a whole new ball game though. Work commitments/kids not interested and pals stopped going along makes it difficult to bother nevermind enjoy. Going yourself is shite at the best of times so, that could be that other than being a result/league table checker.

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven