The Falkirk FC Thread

The fact St Johnstone rarely draw more than 3,000 locals to home games is irrelevant. Their entire set up highlights how bad ours is. Remember, they were in the bottom tier in the mid 80s too when Muirton was a crumbling wreck. 

Too many of our support are happy to treck along for their fortnightly escapism and accept the sub-standard dross on offer. Like the Tartan Army, the 'experience' out ways the result meaning mediocrity becomes acceptable. 

I remember a home defeat to Cowdenbeath in the promotion collapse season of 1978-79. Huge demonstration outside the main stand at full time with a certain Kevin McAllister one of those leading the protest. 

The club is in serious danger of falling back to those times if change isn't delivered. 

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There's an argument there, but such logic would see St Johnstone considered a much bigger club than Falkirk.  I don't think that's the case though.

Football is cyclical for the vast majority of clubs in this country. Over a 50yr span similar clubs will swap roles. I'd be amazed if we don't hit the 3rd tier, or at least come close, within that time frame. Falkirk will spend a spell in the top flight aswell.

Crowd size means next to f**k all. Unless your support is over 10k, then the difference between the full time clubs is negligible. We make more from off the field income than Falkirk will in matchday income even if we shared a division, so why are we apparently "meant" to be below them, when our income is higher? Because they have ~1000 more people clapping every week?

20 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I think we’ll lose a whole generation of fans pal. The clubs a mess.

I've been saying this recently, we do well to have a good local fanbase considering we're on the doorstep of Glasgow. We have to promote the club and create some form of entertaining football to pull a younger generation into supporting Falkirk. We used to be renowned for playing eye-catching football and performing to at least a decent standard. If kids are watching this dross now, then how on earth do you stop them wanting to watch Rangers and Celtic? Gary Holt certainly isn't the answer because he has no problem with playing shit football and he's our director of football. It's just so depressing. 

Guest Ecosse83
13 minutes ago, NUMBER 7 said:

The season tickets are your decision, but don’t think twice about not introducing your son to following Falkirk. Maybe one day he’ll see us win something again or be a half decent team. 

I might not see us win anything, but hope my son and daughter do, and they will be thankful that someone introduced them to it all, even though life is shit just now. 

The results are terrible, but there has been worse times.

Well said 👏

43 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I’d still put them on a similar level of club as Falkirk, Thistle, St Mirren and Dunfermline. Up until the Premiership era, they were probably smaller in stature than these clubs (smaller crowds, zero national trophies won, simply a yo-yo club between the first and second tiers like those other four). 

Prior to the league split in '75 Partick had spent 1 season outside the topflight in 50 years.

They were in no way a yoyo club, the likes of Thistle, Falkirk, Clyde and Airdrie were the big losers when the top flight went down to 10.

All pish taking aside what has happened to Falkirk, you were comfortably better than the other 8 teams last season while dropping some points and started this season fairly well while not setting the heather on fire. I know Partick have suddenly come good but you’ve just utterly imploded is it down to management or is there something deeper going on.

4 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

All pish taking aside what has happened to Falkirk, you were comfortably better than the other 8 teams last season while dropping some points and started this season fairly well while not setting the heather on fire. I know Partick have suddenly come good but you’ve just utterly imploded is it down to management or is the something deeper going on.

Something deeper going on.

The main shareholders / BOD are actually worse than the team.

That Holt deleting emails chat is wild.  Absolutely no self awareness.  

Lots of talk about creating a fans fund and shouts for BTB or other fans groups to take the lead in organising some meaningful protest.  All very commendable but 99% of the team those suggesting it expect someone else to take the lead.  These things are hard to mobilise.  

I wonder how much visibility the Rawlins have had of our last 12 years of failure.  Maybe pressure needs to be applied there to educate the Rawlins about the state of what they've bought into and to force them to step up sooner rather than later.  Let's face it they're very unlkely to have heard anything negative from MSG or Deans.  

Do any of the fans groups have direct contact details/email/any other way of getting this message over?  If so, now is probably a good time to step up and make our voices heard.  Might be a quicker solution that trying to starve the MSG out (which based on past experience is only likely to make them even more stubborn). 

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

4 hours ago, NUMBER 7 said:

I’ve been invited to St Johnstone’s Golf Days for years, and chatted away to other guys there and their Directors, folks that help run the club. Obviously being consistently in the top division their income is twice the size of ours. If you are in the top division you can be run efficiently even with smaller home crowds. They are without doubt run miles better than Falkirk on and off the field. 

Absolutely no question about that, but it's a different argument.

The old Rangers was infinitely bigger than Queens.  It didn't mean they were well run, did it?

4 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

That Holt deleting emails chat is wild.  Absolutely no self awareness.  

Lots of talk about creating a fans fund and shouts for BTB or other fans groups to take the lead in organising some meaningful protest.  All very commendable but 99% of the team those suggesting it expect someone else to take the lead.  These things are hard to mobilise.  

I wonder how much visibility the Rawlins have had of our last 12 years of failure.  Maybe pressure needs to be applied there to educate the Rawlins about the state of what they've bought into and to force them to step up sooner rather than later.  Let's face it they're very unlkely to have heard anything negative from MSG or Deans.  

Do any of the fans groups have direct contact details/email/any other way of getting this message over?  If so, now is probably a good time to step up and make our voices heard.  Might be a quicker solution that trying to starve the MSG out (which based on past experience is only likely to make them even more stubborn). 

Hmm...

and whilst it’s the letter of the law the free kick being disallowed why couldn’t the referee tell Keena to move or any goal would be disallowed before the kick was taken rather than be the big man. 

Do you think referees should also start telling players to get back onside too?

10 minutes ago, Arnold Layne said:

Holt deleting emails chat is wild.  Absolutely no self awareness.  

Derek Ferguson on BBC Radio Scotland before the the Partick Thistle game on Tuesday, noted that Gary Holt had gone from ruling himself out completely for the Head coaches job top maybe he changed his mind. Tongue in cheek remark was "All applications be sent directly to Gary Holt at Falkirk FC and if Gary wanted the job he could delete these emails"

Having recovered , slightly, from the depression of yesterday, it’s very hard to work out where we go from here.

We are where we are and there’s no escaping that and the almost certainty is that we’ll be in this league next year.

No more needs to be said about the bad decisions of the past - just a waste of energy.

The situation regarding the BOD and the shareholding structure is now much better than previous and credit needs to be given to the current board. The appointment ofGary Holt as DOF and the resumption of an ‘academy light’ should augur well for the future but it will need a good few years to bear fruit.

In the meantime we just need to soldier on with what we’ve got which, as we all know, is not a lot.Thankfully, the season is nearly over and a new manager will be appointed.

Going forward, I will certainly continue to purchase ST’s as it is the only way to finance the things we want to see happen.

I look at this season as a year lost, just like Covid, and I certainly feel that we will be much stronger next season.

For me, supporting my local team is part of my heritage and from attending Hampden in 57 to going to Vaduz, it’s been great fun and a big part of my life, albeit littered with far more downs than ups.

This bad period will pass. 

11 minutes ago, Should know better at 70 said:

Derek Ferguson on BBC Radio Scotland before the the Partick Thistle game on Tuesday, noted that Gary Holt had gone from ruling himself out completely for the Head coaches job top maybe he changed his mind. Tongue in cheek remark was "All applications be sent directly to Gary Holt at Falkirk FC and if Gary wanted the job he could delete these emails"

You seem to have edited two quotes and credited me with something I didn't say.

Just now, DundeeUnited9999 said:

United supporter here interested in Youth Develoment.

How have our 2 loanee's got on ?

To be fair to the two lads, they probably came to Falkirk expecting to maybe 20 to thirty minutes in a game, however due to injuries they have been thrown into a struggling side for 90 minutes and in key positions.