The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Rubbish- our home support is bigger than Kilmarnock, St Mirren and Motherwell. 

Iirc last time we were both in the championship, Partick were averaging crowds of 2700 while we were getting over 4000.

This is where I start to maybe side with the yflabs of this world. It’s not just crowds is it? What about revenue, stadium, honours, general league history etc??

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Were your gates when last in the top flight well below those of the first three you mention?

I'd have thought they were comparable to be honest, but might well be wrong.

Falkirk was in the 5-6k average gate when last in the Premiership. Going from the last 20 years or so that there is decent data for, the Premiership attendance figures work out to about:

Top level (40-60k) - Celtic and Rangers

Second level (10-20k)- Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibernian  

Third level (6-9k) - Dundee and Dundee United

Fourth level (4-5k) - Dunfermline, Falkirk, ICT, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Partick, Raith, Ross County, St. Johnstone, St. Mirren

Fifth level (2-3k) - Hamilton, Livingstone

That puts Falkirk in the top 17 clubs, generally speaking, but is based upon a moving target. The higher the league, the higher the attendance. Dropping to the Championship seems to cost 1.5 to 2.5k in attendance...the higher end kicking in after a year or two.

17 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Rubbish- our home support is bigger than Kilmarnock, St Mirren and Motherwell. 

Iirc last time we were both in the championship, Partick were averaging crowds of 2700 while we were getting over 4000.

The Rawlins even said the main reason they invested was because we had the 9th biggest support in Scotland while getting relegated from the championship.

And the last time you were in the Premiership you were getting about 1,000 more fans...about 20% more on average. Attendance is an inherently moving target, but you can safely claim to be top 15.

Edited by TxRover

11 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Falkirk was in the 5-6k average gate when last in the Premiership. Going from the last 20 years or so that there is decent data for, the Premiership attendance figures work out to about:

Top level (40-60k) - Celtic and Rangers

Second level (10-20k)- Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibernian  

Third level (6-9k) - Dundee and Dundee United

Fourth level (4-5k) - Dunfermline, Falkirk, ICT, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Partick, Raith, Ross County, St. Johnstone, St. Mirren

Fifth level (2-3k) - Hamilton, Livingstone

That puts Falkirk in the top 17 clubs, generally speaking, but is based upon a moving target. The higher the league, the higher the attendance. Dropping to the Championship seems to cost 1.5 to 2.5k in attendance...the higher end kicking in after a year or two.

I would actually say the opposite is true for us in the championship. Attendances held steady out first season down, fell off a cliff under Steven Presley, picked back up under Peter Houston and then increased quite a bit after the cup final in 2015 to the point where we took 4500 to Kilmarnock for the play off final (which I don’t think many clubs in Scotland could do).

I’ll exempt the three loan youngsters from today and the recent run of form. Quite simply, they shouldn’t have been signed, and shouldn’t be required to be starting, with the lack of experience they have. 

We clearly don’t have players with the same or better skill, pace or ability than those teams who have defeated us recently. M&M signings have been dreadful.

Anyone trying to build a team it  has to have a spine, Keeper, Centre Half,  Centre Midfield, Centre Forward, then develop the rest from there. We are spineless in more ways than one.

As for Holt, in the managers seat or his proper role, I’ve no confidence in him being right for the job, in actual fact I don’t think we need a D of F  in Div 1

I’ve supported Falkirk for over 50 years, currently buy four season tickets a season, bought hospitality and sponsorship personally and through the company for years, but enough is enough. No more until we get a manager and players  who are worldly wise and can actually play the game.

The Chairman has gone very quiet whilst this free fall has been going on, and his other Merry men on the board are a bunch of faceless wonders, what do they even do ?

When times were normal and crowds were in the one who also an employee  is more interested in keeping up to date with how Celtic are getting on, on his mobile phone than watching what’s happening to our team on the pitch in front of him, says it all really.

Edited by NUMBER 7

2 minutes ago, NUMBER 7 said:

I’ll exempt the three loan youngsters from today and the recent run of form. Quite simply, they shouldn’t have been signed, and shouldn’t be required to be starting, with the lack of experience they have. 

We clearly don’t have players with the same or better skill, pace or ability than those teams who have defeated us recently. M&M signings have been dreadful.

Anyone trying to build a team it  has to have a spine, Keeper, Centre Half,  Centre Midfield, Centre Forward, then develop the rest from there. We are spineless in more ways than one.

As for Holt, in the managers seat or his proper role, I’ve no confidence in him being right for the job, in actual fact I don’t think we need a D of F  in Div 1

I’ve supported Falkirk for over 50 years, currently buy four season tickets a season, bought hospitality and sponsorship personally and through the company for years, but enough is enough. No more until we get a manager and players  who are worldly wise and can actually play the game.

The Chairman has gone very quiet whilst this far fall has been going on, and his other Merry men on the board are a bunch of faceless wonders, what do they even do ?

When times were normal and crowds were in the one who also an employee  is more interested in keeping up to date with how Celtic are getting on, on his mobile phone than watching what’s happening to our team on the pitch in front of him, says it all really.

We all have to think along the same lines and keep our ST money, don't buy merchandise, don't buy 50/50's. 

I'm the same 47 years watching them, I love this club and always will but enough is enough we have to try and force change.

The wheels have come off this season. However, it’s still relatively new territory for us. There probably isn’t part-time football looming so we still have an expectation of getting out this league (up the way) sooner rather than later. Being a new Airdrie (Clyde is another story) does still seem a good way off but then, it could sneak up on us as we’ve become resigned on this page in 2025. Or, we could be like Dunfermline and get our act together in one season and enjoy the more  familiar surroundings of the Championship.

I was going to say we’re at a crossroads but it’s not as dramatic as that yet, it’ll either be we'll get our act together or play the waiting game until part-time football is here.

I honestly thought we did ok at points yesterday in the first half, it was just the final ball lacking.

However the defence was shocking again and cost us the game.

Is there any word on the injured players? Or have they all walked? They dont seem to ask any questions on falkirk tv about them.

25 minutes ago, BudBairn said:

I honestly thought we did ok at points yesterday in the first half, it was just the final ball lacking.

However the defence was shocking again and cost us the game.

Is there any word on the injured players? Or have they all walked? They dont seem to ask any questions on falkirk tv about them.

I agree with this. The two centre halves were brutal but I give them leeway due to their age and inexperience.  Holt was right I felt we should have had two penalties and whilst it’s the letter of the law the free kick being disallowed why couldn’t the referee tell Keena to move or any goal would be disallowed before the kick was taken rather than be the big man. 

Stating the obvious here but there is something rotten at the club. A common denominator perhaps. The endless cycle of shit appointments at BOD level which then filters down to playing staff level. It can't continue. I hope we have a superfan (not sandy) ready to step forward and lead some sort of campaign for change in ownership. They would get alot of support at this time.

Guest Peter LaFleur

This is surely the most disliked group of players in our history as a club? TOE, Waddington etc were just young guys totally out their depth but this bunch of losers are giving f**k all and are absolutely the opposite of why we all fell in love with the game and badge. Just listened to the post match interviews and chuckled that they selected Scott Mercer. He’s terrible in every way and we’ve already signed his replacement for next season.

Genuinely concerned for the future of our club now. No offence to Airdrie but do we turn out to be a similar outfit? Will fans drop by 50% next season? Deans surely has to walk. He’s overseen this shit show after his smarmy comments pre-season. Absolutely heartbreaking seeing the club in its current state. If the next manager is a rookie with Dale Brooks as assistant and Holt overseeing it I’ll be taking a year out.

8 hours ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

This is where I start to maybe side with the yflabs of this world. It’s not just crowds is it? What about revenue, stadium, honours, general league history etc??

There's an argument there, but such logic would see St Johnstone considered a much bigger club than Falkirk.  I don't think that's the case though.

I'm saying none of this in defence of Falkirk by the way.  I think the relatively large size of the club makes the current difficulties worse/funnier.

7 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Can't believe I've just read a crowd w**k today of all days on this thread. Some of you boys actually live up to the caricatures.

In fairness, I don't think that's what's happening here.

I asked a question about the number of smaller clubs doing better, prompting a little debate on the idea of stature.  

There's no doubt that plenty Falkirk fans do love a crowd w**k, but the evidence on here just now, points towards a Not Guilty verdict on this occasion.