The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
55 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:
Morrison seemingly has a clause that he can leave for free if we don't go up so I strongly suspect he'll be away.
Unfortunately Alston is still contracted for next season so hopefully he has a similar clause and we can get rid of him.

Yeah hes been linked with us

Youd think you'd have learned your lesson by now after picking up so much of  our discarded dross before.

2 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Williamson rumoured before...

26A2C85A-8761-4F9F-A51D-DEE12F19C470.jpeg

Can we get Rudden too? The rumour was that when Morrison initially signed he had that clause in his contract but surely upon us offering him a new contract our board were savvy enough to remove that clause. He's not a world beater but he's the only person in that team I'd actually pay to go watch.

Tbh I always thought Alston was a little bit overrated when he was here previously. He could always pop up with a great goal from a free kick here and there but would also have 4 or 5 game spells where be was basically invisible.

That's not as noticeable when there's lots of other creative players in the team but sticks out like a sore thumb when he's our marquee signing surrounded by dross.

32 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
34 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:
Just to add to that, maybe you can get away with players on the slide a bit if they’re a defender/defensive midfielder  as they can use their experience. When it comes to legs in the middle of the park or attacking threat then I totally agree with you.

Even then, Gary Miller has gone off a cliff in the space of a year and Morgaro Gomis is surviving on being usually the best of a bad lot but ultimately, what hes doing isnt really good enough either. But yeah, theres always room for the old stager if they still have the class to replace the legs.

Best age mix for a squad.

2-3 in their last season or two.

2-3 late 20's early 30's who replace the above

Rest a mix of young guys on the way up who get better due to the above experience.

Good example was Willie Cunningham's squad.

Totten, Miller, Scott as the older players.

Ferguson & Roxburgh the experienced pros

The likes of Kennedy, McLaughlin, Hoggan all learned from them and earned transfers. From the amount of shouting Alex Ferguson did to Hoggan he must have learned a lot.

Youd think you'd have learned your lesson by now after picking up so much of  our discarded dross before.
Mate this is how it works and how it's always worked. Passing riff raff jobbers to one another or via a stint at some other middle of the road championship-sized club.

Just now, Rob1885 said:
16 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Mate this is how it works and how it's always worked. Passing riff raff jobbers to one another or via a stint at some other middle of the road championship-sized club.

Some of our shite have done surprisingly well elsewhere.  

12 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Swore to myself that I’d never get taken in by a ‘marquee signing’ after Sammut so I wasn’t too enthused by Alston coming back.  Putting past exploits aside, it looked like a typical downward trajectory signing.

Not old enough to have seen Simon Stainrod then?

22 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Tbh I always thought Alston was a little bit overrated when he was here previously. He could always pop up with a great goal from a free kick here and there but would also have 4 or 5 game spells where be was basically invisible.

That's not as noticeable when there's lots of other creative players in the team but sticks out like a sore thumb when he's our marquee signing surrounded by dross.

The biggest down side for me with signing players like Alston is he isn't the type that strikes you that he would be up for a battle. We need players who know what it takes to get out of the shit situation we are in,especially in the middle of the park and aren't afraid to get stuck in. As you rightly say he is invisible for too long in games.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

9 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

The biggest down side for me with signing players like Alston is he isn't the type that strikes you the he would be up for a battle. We need players who know what it takes to get out of the shit situation we are in,especially in the middle of the park and aren't afraid to get stuck in. As you rightly say he is invisible for too long in games.

He's just so immobile. The short corner in the first half where Sammon's pass wasn't the greatest but Blair couldn't just take a quick sidestep and retrieve in. Instead went crashing to the ground. He's another player who's never had a clear suited position on the football park. He's not fast enough to play out wide and he goes missing in the middle of the park.

Edited by FFC 1876

24 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Not old enough to have seen Simon Stainrod then?

I was 10 when he joined us. I remember watching him at Brockville - one player (can't remember who) passed the ball to him from behind. It was a horrendous pass. Stainrod somehow managed to flick the ball over his own head with his heel, then catch it on the volley. Sublime class. If you can't visualise this from this description, it's because he was that skilful.

Being 10 I just assumed that this was how Falkirk played all the time. I blame Stainrod for three decades of disappointment that followed. 

24 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

He's just so immobile. The short corner in the first half where Sammon's pass wasn't the greatest but Blair couldn't just take a quick sidestep and retrieve in. Instead went crashing to the ground. He's another player who's never had a clear suited position on the football park. He's not fast enough to play out wide and he goes missing in the middle of the park.

Alston is incredibly slow. I was surprised he played at Premiership level.

5 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Alston is incredibly slow. I was surprised he played at Premiership level.

He never was quick over a yard, as they say, but he used to be able to get up to a fair speed over a longer stretch. That seems to have been lost though.

33 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I was 10 when he joined us. I remember watching him at Brockville - one player (can't remember who) passed the ball to him from behind. It was a horrendous pass. Stainrod somehow managed to flick the ball over his own head with his heel, then catch it on the volley. Sublime class. If you can't visualise this from this description, it's because he was that skilful.

Being 10 I just assumed that this was how Falkirk played all the time. I blame Stainrod for three decades of disappointment that followed. 

My exact same problem. I didn’t even have the rollercoaster of the late 80s to deal with, just straight in with the class stuff. In fact, the only lowlight of that season that I witnessed was the 2-0 home defeat against Raith when he wasn’t playing.

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

The biggest down side for me with signing players like Alston is he isn't the type that strikes you that he would be up for a battle. We need players who know what it takes to get out of the shit situation we are in,especially in the middle of the park and aren't afraid to get stuck in. As you rightly say he is invisible for too long in games.

Alston was always a player who played on the edge of a game in as much as he was never the main man. I always thought that he didn't like responsibility and that doesn't seem to have changed. Having said that, I did think that he would have strolled this league.