The Falkirk FC Thread

For me Houston’s poor recruitment eventually caught up with him and there were clearly players who had downed tools, so he had to go.

But I don’t think he was supported well by the board either- I remember Craig Campbell saying Houston’s budget was cut the season we ultimately got relegated. 

That was madness- Houston had competed at the top end of a division containing Rangers, Hibs and Dundee United. A few players of a higher quality may well have got us up.

It would certainly have cost less than the money spent on signing and paying off consecutive players and managers since Houston was sacked.

10 minutes ago, Russ said:

Why do we need to go over this same shite every few months? Yes Houston was overall a very good manager for us there’s never been a Falkirk fan saying otherwise. However it was absolutely the right thing to sack him. Things had started to go to shit the season before with the collapse in the play offs to Dundee Utd. Then we had his awful summer recruitment giving Alex fucking Harris a 2 year deal and we went the first 7 league games with winning including a miserable and fortuitous draw with that hideous Brechin team.

Again just because we’ve been a joke outfit on and off the park and have got our recruitment horribly and disgracefully wrong since does not mean it was the right thing to do to get rid off Houston.

Appointing Hartley was a reasonable move on the face of it as well. I was quite happy when he joined. 

Though that was before I knew he planned to do f**k all player recruitment and just outsource that. 

Edited by FalkirkBairn2021

6 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

There lots of part time teams in the premiership aye? 

I actually make the point that all big clubs are full-time. The point I made is that "part-time" does not mean "poorer".

The presence of part-time teams in the Championship and full-time teams in League 1 is evidence of this.

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

You had an excellent manager in Peter Houston who as I recall guided you to the Play Offs twice (when the league was at its most competitive) and a Scottish Cup Final. If that doesn’t represent a successful tenure as Manager at this level, frankly, I don’t what does. With key players leaving and some getting older and others dipping in form it was inevitable that the momentum couldn’t continue without serious investment. It is inconceivable that given time and support PH would not have turned things around and re- built a competitive Falkirk team in the Championship. When you factor in his success at Tannadice he has more than demonstrated his capability.

I was at TFS when Queens (or should I say Dobbie) inflicted an embarrassing home defeat on Falkirk and the bile directed at PH that day was shocking and undeserved. The obvious phrase that day was “be very careful what you wish for”.

We have a faction of our support at QOS who would gladly replace AJ & SC immediately having just kept us up on a shoestring budget and only 3 signed players at the start of the season. I would call that a notable achievement ..........others would say he doesn’t use his subs quickly enough, is tactically weak and his times up!!! Where are these great Managers in Scottish football - many talk a great game at the interview but the reality when the “rubber hits the road” is a lot different. It is easy to blame the BOD and Owners but the supporters have also to take some of the blame because you more or less forced the decision makers to sack a very capable Falkirk Manager with an excellent track record.

Sensible post alert, can’t really handle on heart disagree with this. I thought Houston had lost the dressing room to be honest. But was far better than Hartley, McKinnon, M&M and Holt since then. 

4 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Appointing Hartley was a reasonable move on the face of it as well. I was quite happy when he joined. 

Though that was before I knew he planned to do f**k all player recruitment and just outsource that. 

I was neither up nor down about Hartley tbh - didn’t really get the fanfare surrounding his appointment either.

Appointing Hartley was absolutely the right move at the time and although it was painful to get through to January (particularly that game at Tannadice, Cameron Blues at right back ffs) but when he got is own players in we went on a great run and that’s the last time it was actually enjoyable to watch us play.

Of course he absolutely fucked it in the summer with his jobber signing spree.

Recruitment wheels in motion for next season already, someone that played last night.

Pretty much confirmed all over the place that we’ve signed Ryan Williamson up for next season.

Very meh. But he’s better than the glorified amateur player Mercer.

7 minutes ago, Russ said:

Appointing Hartley was absolutely the right move at the time and although it was painful to get through to January (particularly that game at Tannadice, Cameron Blues at right back ffs) but when he got is own players in we went on a great run and that’s the last time it was actually enjoyable to watch us play.

Of course he absolutely fucked it in the summer with his jobber signing spree.

Coming to the conclusion Hartley was the fall guy for decisions made outwith his control. Hence the 'Non Disclosure Agreement' when he left.

Yes an objectional individual but FFC being the only blot on his CV gets you thinking.

Just can't think of any manager worth his salt would touch us with a barge pole.

Boardrooms arsehole central. No quality players on the books. No youth set up. Track record of sacking managers.

Just now, HopeStreetWalker said:

Coming to the conclusion Hartley was the fall guy for decisions made outwith his control. Hence the 'Non Disclosure Agreement' when he left.

Yes an objectional individual but FFC being the only blot on his CV gets you thinking.

Hartley signed a pile of shite also while at Dundee, get this revisionism in the bin

11 minutes ago, Russ said:

Pretty much confirmed all over the place that we’ve signed Ryan Williamson up for next season.

Very meh. But he’s better than the glorified amateur player Mercer.

He's better than any right back we've had since prime Kieran Duffie. He can actually cross as shown by his assist for the first goal last night. He'll be kicking himself at signing the precontract before the season was up.

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

For me, this deserves pride of place right alongside the Dennon Lewis open goal video clip.

If he was fit, then Durnan should be ashamed of himself. If he wasn’t fit then Holt should be ashamed of himself. Either way, it’s just another 2021 FFC f**k up.

“You get given nothing”, Gary Holt last night.

Above clip blows that out the water.

Guest Peter LaFleur
16 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Recruitment wheels in motion for next season already, someone that played last night.

I wonder if he will still sign? I think pre contracts are very easy to rip up.

He would be welcomed, miles better than what we’ve had previously. The spine of the team is what we need to get right though. Two centre midfielders who can actually play football with a decent engine would be a massive bonus. 

Edited by Peter LaFleur

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

He's better than any right back we've had since prime Kieran Duffie. He can actually cross as shown by his assist for the first goal last night. He'll be kicking himself at signing the precontract before the season was up.

He can decide to cancel the pre-contract.  Perhaps he'll be on a better wage at Falkirk so will decide to join anyway.

Guest Peter LaFleur
Just now, TheScarf said:

He can decide to cancel the pre-contract.  Perhaps he'll be on a better wage at Falkirk so will decide to join anyway.

How’s Todorov brer?

Just now, Peter LaFleur said:

How’s Todorov brer?

Hopefully has his shooting boots on tonight as usual, friend.  He may be away in the summer so if he is, a goal or 6 tonight would be nice.

7 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Just can't think of any manager worth his salt would touch us with a barge pole.

Boardrooms arsehole central. No quality players on the books. No youth set up. Track record of sacking managers.

If any club owners are reading this forum and don’t do due diligence, Hartley could end up with the Real or PSG gig.