The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I had thought it was more because Holt was up to his neck in the death spiral we had got into, and the players did not want him to take the reins until the season's end.

Who runs the club as at the moment its probably the tail (players) wagging the dug

If the players have downed tools because dumb and dumber got fired then it just sums them up. Probably missing their crossbar challenge .
Yep. Half the squad reeks of wanting an easy, "bants" filled existence at the club
I had thought it was more because Holt was up to his neck in the death spiral we had got into, and the players did not want him to take the reins until the season's end.
All they have to do is try to show up for the business end. Literally a handful of games where they had it within their own means to either: secure the title, which they have spectacularly fucked up, or secure and compete for promotion via playoff.

Now I and others have said I dont particularly want involved, but Gary Holt and the Falkirk players need to do a lot fucking better than just not bothering to turn up.

If someone like Mark Durnan has decided hes going to throw potential promotion on the bonfire whilst taking a wage from the club he really deserves to be sacked and never get another gig. A c**t of a man, surrounded by no shortage of others by the look of it.

Appreciating the subtleties of semantics might come in to play here but did we essentially hire Alan Gow and Gary Holt to perform the same role at the club?

One got himself involved (allegedly) in trying to undermine an investment opportunity for his own selfish gains and the other got involved in tactical on-pitch decisions, before then taking over the role of head coach? 

Do we not do job descriptions?

Is Durnan one of the players who wasn't supposed to be fit enough for more than five minutes? Is there possibly a mitigation there? Because that looks dreadful on the face of it. 

He had been out injured and was him and Anton Dowds that had just come back and got on at half time. However there is no justification for a lack of effort that obvious. If he’s at the level where he can barely even break into a jog then he should be nowhere near consideration.

2 hours ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Some effort from Durnan here tbf

For me, this deserves pride of place right alongside the Dennon Lewis open goal video clip.

If he was fit, then Durnan should be ashamed of himself. If he wasn’t fit then Holt should be ashamed of himself. Either way, it’s just another 2021 FFC f**k up.

11 minutes ago, MS RR said:

I don't believe we were substantially worse last night than we've been all season, I think the difference was we came up against a team that actually has good players and are directed by a good manager. We've been very lucky that this league is comprised of part-time teams. I think the players deserved to take a heavy defeat and it finally highlights how atrocious we truly are. Any decent team would've beaten us 5-0 in some of the games we've won this season. 

You talk some sense, which i.m.o. is a breath of fresh air on this thread.

I take dispute with your pejorative use of the phrase "part-time" as if it meant inferior. When Montrose were thumped by the same margin the other week, to a man, they kept playing. It was a hiding but the "part-time" team put in a 100% professional performance.

The clip earlier in this thread of your defender walking back while Thistle are about to score highlights the fact that "full-time" certainly does not mean better.

Arguably, it should, which is why such clubs exist and all "big" clubs are full-time  but just paying enough money to enable players to give up the day job doesn't make a "full-time" team. They have to be good enough, motivated enough and coached well enough.

Even a "bad" Falkirk  team has managed to see off Montrose in every game we have played and Saturday may well be no different, as the hectic schedule definitely favours "full-time" teams. However, when I hear of a Mo player likely to be moving to Falkirk, I really question "why"? Sure, it is a chance to step up to "full-time" and Montrose have a policy of letting players move on to seize  such opportunities, as part of our development pathway ethos but other than that?

So why not accept the reality that "part-time" doesn't inevitably mean "inferior"?

Maybe Falkirk could benefit from learning from well-run "part-time" teams?

O

7 minutes ago, oot_the_loop said:

Appreciating the subtleties of semantics might come in to play here but did we essentially hire Alan Gow and Gary Holt to perform the same role at the club?

One got himself involved (allegedly) in trying to undermine an investment opportunity for his own selfish gains and the other got involved in tactical on-pitch decisions, before then taking over the role of head coach? 

Do we not do job descriptions?

I'd like to think that with a half decent experienced manager in post Holt would be nowhere near the first team. He's ended up involved as soon as things started to go tits up .

22 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

My point was that a guy that played for  and managed us with distinction over a long period of time who’s commitment whilst in either post was never in question at any time deserved far better from our supporters.

Agreed. I gave him pelters tbf at the time, but regret it now. Easily my favourite manager in my time supporting the club since the final Brockville season.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

O

I'd like to think that with a half decent experienced manager in post Holt would be nowhere near the first team. He's ended up involved as soon as things started to go tits up .

I get the feeling that he probably upset the applecart and the "bantz" with lee and cracks was upset, i wouldnt mind so much but its more the fanbase they are shafting every time they decide to down tools

10 minutes ago, JinkyBairn said:

Agreed. I gave him pelters tbf at the time, but regret it now. Easily my favourite manager in my time supporting the club since the final Brockville season.

Tbf mate, I’m old enough to have watched him playing during both his spells at Brockville and he was one of my favourite players as a kid so I’m being a bit sentimental however the way a group of our fans treated him whilst welcoming ‘Don’ Hartley’s Juggernaut for the short spell that c**t darkened my club will live with me for a while.

1 hour ago, MS RR said:

I don't believe we were substantially worse last night than we've been all season, I think the difference was we came up against a team that actually has good players and are directed by a good manager. We've been very lucky that this league is comprised of part-time teams. I think the players deserved to take a heavy defeat and it finally highlights how atrocious we truly are. Any decent team would've beaten us 5-0 in some of the games we've won this season. 

Correct. I’m seeing a lot of anger directed towards Holt for last nights result. Whilst he’s certainly not free of blame and has done little to help matters, the result isn’t so much on him, more so Miller and McCracken. The damage those two thick clueless p***ks have done in assembling this squad should never be underestimated or forgotten. Yet I still read messages being sent to the “legend” that is big Sexy, thanking him for his efforts. Not sure who the biggest arseholes are...Miller and McCracken or their fanboys.

2 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

To be fair, didn’t Hartley’s gimps actually take it to the last game of the season in a league higher than this? 

No- Hartley’s gimps would have had us relegated by March. 

It was the whole new team Ray Mackinnon signed that took it to the last game.

32 minutes ago, Brummo said:

You talk some sense, which i.m.o. is a breath of fresh air on this thread.

I take dispute with your pejorative use of the phrase "part-time" as if it meant inferior. When Montrose were thumped by the same margin the other week, to a man, they kept playing. It was a hiding but the "part-time" team put in a 100% professional performance.

The clip earlier in this thread of your defender walking back while Thistle are about to score highlights the fact that "full-time" certainly does not mean better.

Arguably, it should, which is why such clubs exist and all "big" clubs are full-time  but just paying enough money to enable players to give up the day job doesn't make a "full-time" team. They have to be good enough, motivated enough and coached well enough.

Even a "bad" Falkirk  team has managed to see off Montrose in every game we have played and Saturday may well be no different, as the hectic schedule definitely favours "full-time" teams. However, when I hear of a Mo player likely to be moving to Falkirk, I really question "why"? Sure, it is a chance to step up to "full-time" and Montrose have a policy of letting players move on to seize  such opportunities, as part of our development pathway ethos but other than that?

So why not accept the reality that "part-time" doesn't inevitably mean "inferior"?

Maybe Falkirk could benefit from learning from well-run "part-time" teams?

There lots of part time teams in the premiership aye? 

Why do we need to go over this same shite every few months? Yes Houston was overall a very good manager for us there’s never been a Falkirk fan saying otherwise. However it was absolutely the right thing to sack him. Things had started to go to shit the season before with the collapse in the play offs to Dundee Utd. Then we had his awful summer recruitment giving Alex fucking Harris a 2 year deal and we went the first 7 league games with winning including a miserable and fortuitous draw with that hideous Brechin team.

Again just because we’ve been a joke outfit on and off the park and have got our recruitment horribly and disgracefully wrong since does not mean it was the right thing to do to get rid off Houston.

6 minutes ago, Russ said:

Why do we need to go over this same shite every few months? Yes Houston was overall a very good manager for us there’s never been a Falkirk fan saying otherwise. However it was absolutely the right thing to sack him. Things had started to go to shit the season before with the collapse in the play offs to Dundee Utd. Then we had his awful summer recruitment giving Alex fucking Harris a 2 year deal and we went the first 7 league games with winning including a miserable and fortuitous draw with that hideous Brechin team.

Again just because we’ve been a joke outfit on and off the park and have got our recruitment horribly and disgracefully wrong since does not mean it was the right thing to do to get rid off Houston.

Again the recruitment might have been poor, but for individual players to down tools on the guy, then there is only ever one outcome of that happening.

Edited by AL-FFC

6 minutes ago, Russ said:

I’ve never once said that it wasn’t the right decision. I agree he had ran his course.

What I didn’t agree with was the way some fans treated him at the end - he didn’t deserve that.