The Falkirk FC Thread

I don't think Morrison would have got in some of our teams in recent years. 
One of our better teams in recent years frequently had Tom Taiwo shoe horned onto the right. Morrison would have done ok at any point in recent history id say.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

When it was first laid they said 7 years. This lot seem to want extra. I did hear Rawlins wants grass

Raith put down the same basic carpet as Falkirk, but plumped for the improved underlayment. Reported life, with “proper care and maintenance”, was 10 years, but was also to be influenced by use and weather as well. The improved underlayment supposedly increases lifespan and eases replacement...but would increase the costs if Rawlins wants to go to grass. I believe the surface at TFS was laid June 2013?

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

I don't think Morrison would have got in some of our teams in recent years. 

Almost certainly not.  Hate to say it but he doesn't even reach the standards of the likes of Kallum Higginbotham

Having said that, he's our best player at the moment.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

41 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

How I wish our club was run like St Johnstone. 

Its a template on how a provincial club should be run.

Own stadium that earns cash rather than an on cost. Funeral teas, meeting rooms etc

Owner who runs it as a business with long term rather than short term targets

Youth system

Adroit manager and player recruitment

Rainy day fund for team rebuilding

Good luck to them, they deserve the success they have had and are having

I really think it's the costs around our stadium that holds the club back. OK, we get crowds of 4000, but how many people do we need through the gates to just stand still? 

What's the deal with the South Stand - are we repaying the cost or is it rent? Is there a possibility a fans group could take over the repayments? 

We won’t get close to teams like St Johnstone until we have a proper player scouting and recruitment system in place.

It doesn’t matter who the next manager is if we’re going to continue bringing in dross.

It’s about to be 5 years since the playoff final at Kilmarnock- we must have signed over 100 players since then and the vast majority haven’t been good enough. Which is a main reason why we’ve regressed so far as a club in that time.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

2 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

We won’t get close to teams like St Johnstone until we have a proper player scouting and recruitment system in place.

It doesn’t matter who the next manager is if we’re going to continue bringing in dross.

It’s about to be 5 years since the playoff final at Kilmarnock- we must have signed over 100 players since then and the vast majority haven’t been good enough. Which is a main reason why we’ve regressed so far as a club in that time.

I agree with this and to add to the fact I think our Astro is now done and that can impact a player’s performance. How many players have we signed that have been decent elsewhere then come to us and they have been rotten?

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Raith put down the same basic carpet as Falkirk, but plumped for the improved underlayment. Reported life, with “proper care and maintenance”, was 10 years, but was also to be influenced by use and weather as well. The improved underlayment supposedly increases lifespan and eases replacement...but would increase the costs if Rawlins wants to go to grass. I believe the surface at TFS was laid June 2013?

They are not the same surface. I have played on both and the Rovers surface is sharper blade with medium risk of grazing / cutting. The Falkirk surface has softer blade with no rubber filling. The Falkirk surface it was a Dutch system that at the time only Falkirk and Arsenal (training pitch) layed.

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

I really think it's the costs around our stadium that holds the club back. OK, we get crowds of 4000, but how many people do we need through the gates to just stand still? 

What's the deal with the South Stand - are we repaying the cost or is it rent? Is there a possibility a fans group could take over the repayments? 

Our stadium is far too big (in size), looks fucking stupid and is too expensive. I appreciate we were hamstrung by the belief at the time we had to aim for 10,000 seats but we went about it completely the wrong way. I remember the original plans and it looked far too big for what we'd ever need.

Edited by Gaz

4 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

We’d be pointlessly waving goodbye to hundreds of thousands of pounds in gate receipts in the premiership if the stadium was any smaller.

I should have clarified - I mean in size, not capacity.

2 hours ago, Rufus said:

They are not the same surface. I have played on both and the Rovers surface is sharper blade with medium risk of grazing / cutting. The Falkirk surface has softer blade with no rubber filling. The Falkirk surface it was a Dutch system that at the time only Falkirk and Arsenal (training pitch) layed.

Fair enough, but the Falkirk surface was directly referenced. I do know a no rubber infill carpet tends to wear faster though, which might explain the 7 year mention.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Fair enough, but the Falkirk surface was directly referenced. I do know a no rubber infill carpet tends to wear faster though, which might explain the 7 year mention.

I'm pretty sure ours has the rubber infill, if that's the pellets they put on top. 

That’s because we have recruited poor managers without any strategy. It all lands back at the Boardroom. They are responsible for running the place

21 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

That’s because we have recruited poor managers without any strategy. It all lands back at the Boardroom. They are responsible for running the place

I don't think Houston was a poor manager. He was just unlucky that he was competing against Hibs and Rangers who should have been nowhere near the Championship. 

For me the main failure was appointing Eddie May and  not investing enough when we were in the top division.  Its actually quite hard to be relegated.  Hamilton have been up for ages. St Johnstone likewise. We tried to do things on the cheap and we've never been back. 

8 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Its a template on how a provincial club should be run.

Own stadium that earns cash rather than an on cost. Funeral teas, meeting rooms etc

Owner who runs it as a business with long term rather than short term targets

Youth system

Adroit manager and player recruitment

Rainy day fund for team rebuilding

Good luck to them, they deserve the success they have had and are having

I'd like to see how they'd have got on with George Craig and then Craig Campbell in charge.

They'd be stuck in the wilderness like us as well.