The Falkirk FC Thread

5 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

A squad of 18 doesn't work- you've got to have competition for places in every position. One of the reasons players like Alston and Keena are performing so poorly this season is because they know they'll be playing every game no matter what as there is no depth in their positions.

There will also be injuries and suspensions over the course of a season- you need to have players able to come in to cover. We would be unable to field a team on Saturday if we had gone with an 18 man squad this season and the board would righly have been castigated for approving it.

Well Leeds United operate with a squad of 19 in the EPL. They then dip into the U23s for cover as and when required. As the U23s play in their own PL league (which they won) , you don't have a situation where you have a load of players sitting about not playing football. That has to be the model.

Of course we don't have an U23s side or any youth system as Craig & Margaret said we couldn't afford it and didn't need it. Although now we are employing a DoF and his 2IC to bring it back.    

14 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

Well Leeds United operate with a squad of 19 in the EPL. They then dip into the U23s for cover as and when required. As the U23s play in their own PL league (which they won) , you don't have a situation where you have a load of players sitting about not playing football. That has to be the model.

Of course we don't have an U23s side or any youth system as Craig & Margaret said we couldn't afford it and didn't need it. Although now we are employing a DoF and his 2IC to bring it back.    

Having a youth system (which I agree should be reinstated gradually) is totally separate from the need to have a first team with the right depth and quality.

Look at our bench from our playoff games in 2014- absolutely packed with youth players. Scott Shepherd, Liam Rowan, Botti Biabi, Liam Dick, Ryan Blair and Lewis Small. 

None of them good enough or ready to play for the first team. No options that can come on and change a game. It’s no good having a tiny squad supplemented by youth players who aren’t good enough or ready.

Reinstating the youth system has to be done in a way that is sustainable and is not diverting resources from the first team.

7 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Having a youth system (which I agree should be reinstated gradually) is totally separate from the need to have a first team with the right depth and quality.

Look at our bench from our playoff games in 2014- absolutely packed with youth players. Scott Shepherd, Liam Rowan, Botti Biabi, Liam Dick, Ryan Blair and Lewis Small. 

None of them good enough or ready to play for the first team. No options that can come on and change a game. It’s no good having a tiny squad supplemented by youth players who aren’t good enough or ready.

Reinstating the youth system has to be done in a way that is sustainable and is not diverting resources from the first team.

Our budget means feck all the now when we're using it to sign shit. Houston managed to get us second in the championship playing decent football, competing with rangers and Hibs and also having a youth system.  

7 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Nah we'll wait till he signs up elsewhere. Our rigid recruitment program will then see us give the job to Kenny shield after his success at taking Northern Ireland's wumen to the finals. You heard it here first.

A bit too much, err, baggage

5 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Our budget means feck all the now when we're using it to sign shit. Houston managed to get us second in the championship playing decent football, competing with rangers and Hibs and also having a youth system.  

The problem is that virtually every signing made by M and M hasn’t been good enough. 

Mercer- not good enough 

Hall- not good enough 

Neilson- good

Mclelland- jury’s out

Deveney- not good enough 

Sneddon- not good enough 

Fotheringham- not good enough 

Todd- not good enough 

Alston- not good enough 

Morrison- good

De Vita- not good enough

Francis- not good enough 

Dowds- not good enough 

Keena- has done nothing so far

A list of  players sighed under Houston, Hartley and McKinnon would likewise show the vast majority not good enough.

Changing the manager will make no difference until we have a proper scouting and recruitment system in place. We can’t continue changing the whole squad and paying off players every 6 months.

2 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

The problem is that virtually every signing made by M and M hasn’t been good enough. 

Mercer- not good enough 

Hall- not good enough 

Neilson- good

Mclelland- jury’s out

Deveney- not good enough 

Sneddon- not good enough 

Fotheringham- not good enough 

Todd- not good enough 

Alston- not good enough 

Morrison- good

De Vita- not good enough

Francis- not good enough 

Dowds- not good enough 

Keena- has done nothing so far

A list of  players sighed under Houston, Hartley and McKinnon would likewise show the vast majority not good enough.

Changing the manager will make no difference until we have a proper scouting and recruitment system in place. We can’t continue changing the whole squad and paying off players every 6 months.

5E8C7348-8E22-4EE8-9FA2-686DA2F17860.jpeg.759e5b2c923e727fec9eee21df4ce04e.jpeg

I don’t really feel the Peter Grant love in from some on here. Did he not just get relegated with Alloa?
I’m maybe wrong here but we need winners or people demonstrating success on a small budget or make the correct appointment through the ‘rigorous’ interview process. It’s time for serious change and not just someone who in the past has an association with us.
It’s time to take time and get it right.

40 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Well at the minute there is no youth system and all funds are going to the first team and look at the state of it!

The youth system can supplement the first team squad as it does at many other clubs. You give an example of one moment in time at Falkirk where this was not what it could be to make a sweeping generalization  but I can easily point to other times such as when we had the Fultons, Wallace, Kingsley, Arfield, McGrandles , Murdoch, Alston, Mitchell, Sibbald and more come into the side from our youth system (in most cases via the bench initially) and make a significant difference.     

By my count we have signed 78 players in the last 3 and a half years since Houston was sacked- the vast majority not good enough. 

I strongly suspect if the board had given Houston a tiny part of the money that has been spent on signing and paying off players and managers over that time to get some extra quality in, we’d have been in the premier league at the moment. 

Edited by PedroMoutinho

3 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

By my count we have signed 78 players in the last 3 and a half years since Houston was sacked- the vast majority not good enough. 

I strongly suspect if the board had given Houston a tiny part of the money that has been spent on signing and paying off players and managers over that time to get some extra quality in, we’d have been in the premier league at the moment. 

I agree with you , but there's many on here who won't 

For me Houston had taken the club as far as he could (and arguably should have gone after the playoff defeat to Dundee Utd) but the single worst decision that was made that ended up in the mess we are in now was in the summer of 2018 when Hartley ripped up a squad that had been one of the best teams in the championship for the second half of the season and replaced them with no hopers.

Had he kept together the nucleus of the team that had a very decent record from January-May 2018, I think we’d have done well the following season.

Can anyone tell me why Lee Miller is a 'club legend' anyway?

My memory of him from years ago was breaking into the team, looking excellent..getting his agent to engineer a move as soon as possible and handing in a transfer request when we told the sheep to f**k off.

In his second spell him and Kerr fucked over Houston and downed tools, then signed for the debt dodgers. 

Fond memories of his (very brief) time as a young player with us. Other than that..meh. 

1 hour ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Can anyone tell me why Lee Miller is a 'club legend' anyway?

My memory of him from years ago was breaking into the team, looking excellent..getting his agent to engineer a move as soon as possible and handing in a transfer request when we told the sheep to f**k off.

In his second spell him and Kerr fucked over Houston and downed tools, then signed for the debt dodgers. 

Fond memories of his (very brief) time as a young player with us. Other than that..meh. 

I agree totally with this. If my memory serves me right he buggered off as soon as he got the chance. For me legend status is for the likes of Crunchie, Scott McKenzie, Big Craw Baptie who played a lot of games for us or players of outstanding quality like Stainrod or Latapy. I suppose it's all about opinions though.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

Guest Peter LaFleur
10 minutes ago, ClathyDave said:

And his Twitter handle is LMairzo... get him in with Corrzo and everything will be tip top

I was just thinking a man in his 40s referring to himself as Mairzo is slightly tragic. Quite evident he’s watched 0 minutes of Falkirk play this season.