The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, NUMBER 7 said:

I came across  an old email today from a couple of years ago I was copied in on, when 45 or so fans were prepared to pony up serious doe to become “Patrons” in the fans ownership initiative. Collectively they had pledged over £450,000 of the £850,000 along with other fans to buy into the club. Far more than the new major shareholder has put in.

More interesting was looking at the names of the potential Patrons and the business acumen and talents many of them had and the potential of what some of them could have brought to the club. This was a massive opportunity missed.

Had this proposal gone through we wouldn’t have been looking at a 3rd year in Div 1.

Totally agree. I just wish for the all our sakes that some of these guys had the heart for a fight right now. Completely understand that some of them probably feel deflated at how they were treated in the past, but it’s guys like this that we need to help oust Ritchie and Alexander. Can only hope that some form of discussions have been had in the background.

The current form table doesn’t lie especially for the last 10 and 5 games. We all know the tide is not going to turn with Holt in charge, injuries, suspensions and we’ll be lucky to hold on to a Play Off Spot.

Tonight we should be scouring free agents, folks we could sign on amateur papers to plug the gaps and try a muddle through to 4th place in the hope some of the others could return for a Play Off match in a couple of weeks. 

Expect the unexpected 

2 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Thing is though is that I think it's important to have some sort of continuity. All of those that I mentioned I think could do a job in the right circumstances. I'd be happy to keep them as back-up.

You’re preaching to the choir here with that line, but looking at the team, the Coach’s, DoF and BoD simply aren’t listening. When Raith killed the development team, they signed a few Modern Apprentices to get young players in and around the team, rather than leaving them away at Fife Elite. We’ve since signed a couple to full contracts (Tait and Bowie, who has already turned a pretty penny to Fulham), and that kind of flow is exactly what Falkirk should be looking for until the Academy gets resurrected. It’s no assurance for success, but feeding some young talent into the team that way is vastly better in the long haul than over-reliance on loans or poaching players.

The suggestion for a base team of 18, filled with loanees, reminds me of the after Christmas run last season, and that lean team just might have been what cost Falkirk first back then...but perhaps that was more a factor of it not being the right 17 or 18. If the players are flexible enough, 2 keepers, 6 defenders, 5 or 6 mids and 4 or 5 forwards could work, but it’s terribly thin when an injury appears.

13 minutes ago, TxRover said:

You’re preaching to the choir here with that line, but looking at the team, the Coach’s, DoF and BoD simply aren’t listening. When Raith killed the development team, they signed a few Modern Apprentices to get young players in and around the team, rather than leaving them away at Fife Elite. We’ve since signed a couple to full contracts (Tait and Bowie, who has already turned a pretty penny to Fulham), and that kind of flow is exactly what Falkirk should be looking for until the Academy gets resurrected. It’s no assurance for success, but feeding some young talent into the team that way is vastly better in the long haul than over-reliance on loans or poaching players.

The suggestion for a base team of 18, filled with loanees, reminds me of the after Christmas run last season, and that lean team just might have been what cost Falkirk first back then...but perhaps that was more a factor of it not being the right 17 or 18. If the players are flexible enough, 2 keepers, 6 defenders, 5 or 6 mids and 4 or 5 forwards could work, but it’s terribly thin when an injury appears.

Absolutely- a squad of 18 is a ludicrous suggestions. You’re going to pick up and injuries and suspensions over a season and you need to have players available to come in and cover.

Players will also have periods of poor form and again there needs to be players who can replace them and take their chance.

We’d struggle to field a team at all against Cove if we’d gone with 18 players. The board would rightly have been slammed.

Just look at the 13/14 season under Holt- a brilliant starting 11 with players like McGovern, Kingsley, Fulton, Sibbald and Loy but we had to field a 17 year old Scott Shepherd in the play offs due to having no cover for injuries.

Been doing a little retrospective analysis on the season to date and, although our recent league form has been disastrous, the game which brought home to me the sheer incompetence of our management was the Celtic game. A game you might say of little importance in the grand scheme of things, but the performance , the statistics, the post match interview were all just so awful that I was completely ashamed to be a Falkirk supporter. I remember a thrashing on a midweek at Celtic of something like 7, I think,but, at least we attempted to attack them. The recent game was a disgrace and, it was then I said ‘these guys must go.’ To be shown on a national TV channel and praise a performance like that was beyond the pale.

Surely, surely, the only way is up.

1 hour ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Allan Stubbs or Alex Rae would go a long way to ensuring I never set foot back inside the Falkirk Stadium.

Will it be the appointment of the usual retreads,    has Jim McIntyres name written all over it.

or how about a left field appointment.  Stuart Taylor......

17 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Absolutely- a squad of 18 is a ludicrous suggestions. You’re going to pick up and injuries and suspensions over a season and you need to have players available to come in and cover.

Players will also have periods of poor form and again there needs to be players who can replace them and take their chance.

We’d struggle to field a team at all against Cove if we’d gone with 18 players. The board would rightly have been slammed.

Just look at the 13/14 season under Holt- a brilliant starting 11 with players like McGovern, Kingsley, Fulton, Sibbald and Loy but we had to field a 17 year old Scott Shepherd in the play offs due to having no cover for injuries.

A squad of 18 of our own players instead of 22 of our own players like what we have just now plus using the full quota of loanees would be sufficient. Ffs we have 5 strikers on our books, we are a league one side. For a start cut that to a maximum of 3 and get in utility players that can cover a number of positions. Get quality instead of quantity and stop signing a load of absolute shite.

4 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

A squad of 18 of our own players instead of 22 of our own players like what we have just now plus using the full quota of loanees would be sufficient. Ffs we have 5 strikers on our books, we are a league one side. For a start cut that to a maximum of 3 and get in utility players that can cover a number of positions. Get quality instead of quantity and stop signing a load of absolute shite.

Exactly. 

We have two choices. A significantly increased budget or gamble on a smaller squad with more quality.

We can't sign a raft of utter jobbers again. Well we can't if we fancy leaving this league at any rate.

8 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Exactly. 

We have two choices. A significantly increased budget or gamble on a smaller squad with more quality.

We can't sign a raft of utter jobbers again. Well we can't if we fancy leaving this league at any rate.

18 of our own and up to 6 loanees if required. If we can't get a decent squad with that then we should chuck it. We need a gaffer that can sign the right players and not a gang of hopeless shite.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

Guest Ecosse83

Trying to piece together a team capable of winning some games and realised we are screwed for the rest of this season. Cove team

Mutch 

Mercer.     Neilson.       Mcclleland.    Kelly 

Alston.                Miller.               Leitch

Morrison.             Keena.            Sammon 

that was painful coming up with that but it’s the best team I can think of putting out! 

Edited by Ecosse83

Somebody mentioned earlier that he imagined this is what it feels like to be a crack addict, hating the club just now but still checking for updates. I know where he’s coming from. I got absolutely ruined and spoiled  from the start supporting us and it leaves it’s mark. 

I was 8 years old and my 3rd and 4th games going along were 7-1 v Raith Rovers and 5-1 v Clydebank, followed by a fantastic championship victory, followed by a mainly exciting few years after that. 

The first two games before that were the ropey first part of Jefferies reign but really, virtually zero shite to deal with, just joy. 

The chemicals in my brain are predisposed in a certain way because of what I watched right from the get-go. No hoofball. No over-thought shapes. None of that. It’s not like I really appreciated it at the time because it’s happening at young age. 

I just can’t see a generation of young fans from the local area putting up with the utter rubbish that is served up.

As much as I am sick to death of our managers being totally incompetent, I am also sick of the death throes of their tenure being marked by increasingly embarrassing performances from our players. I dont know if its the fact that managers time is nearing an end transmitting through, or if its the players chucking it in, but its too many times now I have watched collections of Falkirk players absolutely chucking it. 

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Dixon, Hall, Connolly, Gomis, Dowds, Telfer, Durnan and who?

1 hour ago, keithgy said:

Deveney

McCracken said he was unlikely to feature again this season after the game, got a bad one I think. Looking like Kelly and an untested Sneddon might be our left back options.

Edited by ebobsboy