The Falkirk FC Thread

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We've got to get the ball first though. Clyde will be up for the tackle but none of our 3 are ball winners.

That only works for a possession based style of game. We don't have the players elsewhere in the side to pull it off.

Anyway the Bairns won and that is the main thing.

Falkirk do not do it simple !

Pampers time at Cove methinks !

4 hours ago, Russ said:

The more I think about it the more seething I am that Hall is starting yet again. He’s utterly shite with no redeemable qualities at all. Any competent manager would have punted him months ago yet our 2 dicks see him as an automatic starter.

Hall isn’t great but Neilson demonstrated today he is more than capable in there. 

Overall much improved performance. Out of 10
Mutch 6 bit dodgy but good save at the death. 
Neilson 9 - Different class future Scotland player

Hall 4 points for hitting the target otherwise not convincing 

Durnan 6 thought he was good today his strength is  invaluable

Dixon 6 solid 

Telfer 8 - great work rate 

Alston 7 better 

Fotheringham -4 poor didn’t create much 

Morrison 7 overdoes it at times but always a danger 

Sammon 9 best game for us deserved to be on the score sheet

Keena -5  poor until he got his goal 

subs - stand out was leitch  6 who showed he does have something to offer. 

Edited by Stainrod

5 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

Hall isn’t great but Neilson demonstrated today he is more than capable in there. 

Overall much improved performance. Out of 10
Mutch 6 bit dodgy but good save at the death. 
Neilson 9 - Different class future Scotland player

Hall 4 points for hitting the target otherwise not convincing 

Durnan 6 thought he was good today his strength is  invaluable

Dixon 6 solid 

Telfer 8 - great work rate 

Alston 7 better 

Fotheringham -4 poor didn’t create much 

Morrison 7 overdoes it at times but always a danger 

Sammon 9 best game for us deserved to be on the score sheet

Keena -5  poor until he got his goal 

Mutch should've saved the goal blindfolded.  No point in leitch beating a man and then punting it into the stand. Final product is nowhere near good enough. Thought Sammon played well but a 9? He should've had at least one goal and needs to improve his finishing. His effort was first class for a change though.

On 09/04/2021 at 15:08, Shadwell Dog said:

We're talking only about transfers here nothing else. His record in the transfer market was appalling and was the reason why we got poorer year on year.  Tactically he was decent and his achievements with other managers players were excellent. His big mistake for me was telling all and sundry he was retiring at the end of the season.  We should either have shaken his hand then and moved him on or git someone in to work beside him with a view to taking the job at the end of the season.  Once the players knew he was for the off you weren't going to get much commitment from them and that proved to be the case. Was a mistake which cost him in the end.

For me Houston picked up more decent players than any manager who’s followed him. Nobody since has recruited as many who had the impact of Tom Taiwo, Peter Grant, Mark Kerr, John Baird, Danny Rogers, Lee Miller or Myles Hippolyte.

On 09/04/2021 at 11:03, latapythelegend said:

To be honest he has some cheek denying any approach from fans. They will find it incredibly difficult to find sponsorship post-covid. The North stand is still clad in advertising for a car garage that went down the tubes a year ago FFS!

I believe the company who bought out the car garage are still paying for that signage. It’s up to them if they want to update their branding. 

That result showed why M&M won manager of month, we played fantastic against a part-time team who are completely exhausted from their fixture congestion. Outstanding stuff from management and players. 

#keepthefaith  #expecttheunexpected

2 hours ago, CC52 FFC said:

Sammon is having a decent game tbf to him. Mitchell having his usual star performance against us. 

He wanted to stay after we got relegated and was led to believe he'd get a contract. Then McKinnon dumped him. 

We've been paying for it ever since. Every f'cking game he has an absolute blinder against us. 

31 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

For me Houston picked up more decent players than any manager who’s followed him. Nobody since has recruited as many who had the impact of Tom Taiwo, Peter Grant, Mark Kerr, John Baird, Danny Rogers, Lee Miller or Myles Hippolyte.

Peter grant was Gary holt not Houston.   Youve named a handful of decent signings .  What about the dross like David Smith, Rory boulding, Alex cooper, Taylor Morgan, tudur Jones, ,Kevin McCann, Ryan sinnamon,. Fraser aird, gasparotto, John Rankin, Liam Henderson,   Alex Harris etc. Your never going to improve a side if your signing success rate is as low as 50 percent or even less. Far too many crap signings.

33 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

He wanted to stay after we got relegated and was led to believe he'd get a contract. Then McKinnon dumped him. 

We've been paying for it ever since. Every f'cking game he has an absolute blinder against us. 

He got a chance with us and had an absolute howler of a game if I remember correctly and never recovered from it with us.

Yeah he might have something to offer but it’s certainly not as a full time football player.

Him beating a man then running the ball out of play does nothing to change the fact that he’s absolutely garbage and it’s a mystery why dumb and dumber give him game time every week.

Anyone got any idea how long Dowds will be out for? Sammon put himself about well today but there's absolutely no end product. Hopefully Dixon's not too bad and Hall can take as long as he wants to recover. Alston's looked a lot better the last few games and I think it's because Telfer takes the pressure off by constantly going looking for the ball so he can just float about doing his thing. Fotheringham's good enough for me to start in Leitch's place, which I know isn't exactly hard,  he's got a brilliant first touch and always looks to get at his man the end product will come. Great for Keena getting his goal and if anything it highlights why he needs a partner upfront as Sammon's presence allowed him the free space to walk onto that ball and tuck it away. Below team for Cove Rangers please. 

Mutch

Neilson Durnan Mclelland Dixon

Morrison Alston Telfer Fotheringham

Sammon/Dowds Keena

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Peter grant was Gary holt not Houston.   Youve named a handful of decent signings .  What about the dross like David Smith, Rory boulding, Alex cooper, Taylor Morgan, tudur Jones, ,Kevin McCann, Ryan sinnamon,. Fraser aird, gasparotto, John Rankin, Liam Henderson,   Alex Harris etc. Your never going to improve a side if your signing success rate is as low as 50 percent or even less. Far too many crap signings.

Holt signed Peter Grant but I was told that Houston subsequently had the option to cancel the transfer and didn't. No idea if that was true or not, but given that Grant never featured in the first few months it's possible. 

However, when Vaulks moved into midfield Houston not only made Grant an ever-present but quickly gave him a contract extension. So I think it's fair to say that Houston eventually recognised his ability. 

Can't argue about the dross he brought in right enough. 

Would imagine our game won't go ahead on Saturday if the Scottish Cup postponement chat is applied consistently. Would think it'll be the Sunday, or we're looking at Tuesday/Thursday to get the 18 games in before the deadline.

Decent chance the league will only be 18 games which would be yet another gift for us this season.

14 minutes ago, Russ said:

it’s a mystery why dumb and dumber give him game time every week.

Not really. Telfer, Alston, Morrison & Fotheringham are ahead of him in the pecking order at the moment. 

If you want to replace any of them with an offensive midfielder then who's left? Gomis & Miller aren't creative, Connolly's injured, Todd is gone and Aidan Laverty doesn't seem to be rated despite having had several contract extensions.