The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Peter LaFleur

Biggest change I’d like is to have two full backs who can support our wide players. Neilson and Deveney essentially. Dixon is our best defender so slots in nicely to partner McClelland at centre back. Defence is now successfully chuckle brother free.

Biggest change I’d like is to have two full backs who can support our wide players. Neilson and Deveney essentially. Dixon is our best defender so slots in nicely to partner McClelland at centre back. Defence is now successfully chuckle brother free.
Sans Chuckles should give the fullbacks confidence to go forward and the midfield less requirement to utterly shite themselves about getting caught up the pitch too.

Guest Ecosse83
35 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

The only thing I will say is if they do change it then it means we'd need to start Sammon upfront as I'm guessing Dowds is still out.

Yep I’d start Sammon but they need to get the ball into his feet and get him running into the flanks which is his strength. Aimless balls over the top won’t work with him! If they start Sammon/Keena I’ll predict at least 1 goal with Sammon assisting and a Keena goal.

The last time we beat Clyde it was Sammon causing bother from a high ball into the box which meant the Clyde defender nodded it straight to Telfer for our opener so maybe not such a bad thing to play him up with Keena. Lang and Rumbsy will have a field day if it's just Keena up top on his own.

Im no master tactician or anything but it does seem to me there are obvious flaws with our ill-fated 4-2-3-1 formation, or at least the version of it we are playing.

If we keep playing defensively minded players at left and right back who don’t advance into forward areas, that leaves gaps on the left and right side of midfield.  If we also play two deep central midfielders, that compounds that issue and the gap grows more obvious.  Gaps on pitches will naturally get filled, so that means the only ones that can fill it are those playing left and right side of the attacking three.   However, those two players are meant to be the ones supporting the striker, so lo and behold, the striker looks increasingly isolated and devoid of support.

Likewise, assuming the intention of the left and right of the ‘3’ is therefore that they get the ball deep to drive at the opponents and get crosses into the box.  Let’s assume that players is Morrison on the right – we have one striker up top being marked by at least 2, maybe even 3 defenders.  The other options at various times are Fotheringham, Telfer, Alston, Gomis, Leitch, Connolly and Francis – a powerhouse of aerial threat they are not.

I don’t like the formation, but for my untrained simple eyes, it only works if we play full backs who can get forward.

Of course, you could just play 4-4-2.

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Anyone with half a brain will know Clyde will set up to stop us playing with the formation that we have been playing. So change it and throw them a curve ball. Que 1 up front

Stop us playing ?

There needs to be more a balance middle to front or in our case middle middle to front.

Our width is absolutely honking which is no surprise our goals have set pieces or shots from edge of the box.

I'm absolutely dreading what carnage I see from our team sheet today even tho we pushed Morrison and Kai more forward on Tuesday it was piss poor and clueless.

I'd like to see Morrison up top with Keena. Keena has not really played with a partner for us. Morrison will be harder to mark when not limited to one half the pitch.
A competent team would take advantage of others seeking to double up on one player.

Reading the stuff on the Crunchie Stand. Why oh why every time fans seem to want to do something positive and contribute to they make it so difficult? Just sad really

8 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Reading the stuff on the Crunchie Stand. Why oh why every time fans seem to want to do something positive and contribute to they make it so difficult? Just sad really

Doubled up with never really  apologising for all the made up allegations against fans, just makes you wonder how we still have a decent fan base.

12 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

It's quite clear nothings changed and the old addage of 'its our club and we'll do what we want with it 'is clearly to the fore.  If it was to be the Martin Ritchie stand this would have all been sorted by now you can bet on that.

29 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Doubled up with never really  apologising for all the made up allegations against fans, just makes you wonder how we still have a decent fan base.

The "decent fan base" - I'd say outstanding given the utter shitshow the club has been both on and off the pitch for well over a decade now - is literally what keeps them in control. Too many fans don't want to hear it, but the only way real change will ever be effected is when supporters in significant numbers stop giving them money. Like customers of any other business whose owners treat them like muck. But there's still far too much of the "real fan" nonsense endemic in much of our fanbase which keeps them handing over hundreds of pounds year after year to a shower of c**s who treat them with naked, undisguised contempt and have carte blanche to run "their" club in whatever manner they like. There are zero consequences for their hopelessness and ineptitude for anyone other than those who are funding it, which is the fans.  Until that stops, it isn't going to change.