The Falkirk FC Thread

Joint managers never ever work.
Our two are unlikely to to be the first to succeed.

Errrr.......Clough and Taylor being the exception that proves the rule. Back to back European Cup/Champions League isn’t quite a dysfunctional joint management team.

Get your drift though, and M&M are without a doubt faltering badly, and are fully capable of fucking this up in dismal fashion. The team have absolutely no identity and look really uncertain on what their roles actually are.

I have no doubt M&M are stressed and awash with self doubt, and that uncertainty has been creeping into our performances since Airdrie. I don’t think there is a single bona fide leader at the club.

They simply cannot be allowed to stay in the job.......promoted or not.

Totally simple [emoji119][emoji106] yet has potential to be so effective 
what I don’t get is us amateurs see the simplicity of such a set up why can’t they with the coaching badges see it [emoji848]

It’s because they have the coaching badges that they can’t see it. Badges are all about instilling in them that football is hugely complex and requires them to grasp these complex techniques that the ordinary punter in the street can never hope to understand.......and it churns out the M&Ms, the Craig Leveins and Pressleys of this world. They get a few badges not dissimilar to the Boy Scouts system as their reward.

6 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Errrr.......Clough and Taylor being the exception that proves the rule. Back to back European Cup/Champions League isn’t quite a dysfunctional joint management team.

Get your drift though, and M&M are without a doubt faltering badly, and are fully capable of fucking this up in dismal fashion. The team have absolutely no identity and look really uncertain on what their roles actually are.

I have no doubt M&M are stressed and awash with self doubt, and that uncertainty has been creeping into our performances since Airdrie. I don’t think there is a single bona fide leader at the club.

Have to agree, I wasn't sure when they got the job although like most I thought give them a chance, but after an initial steadying of the ship we really haven't improved at all. Their recruitment in the main has been poor, also think they struggle to separate being a manager from being a player and are too close to the players which probably doesn't help. Just never been convinced by the pair of them tbh. I think the best they could hope for is to somehow get us over the line and promoted then their CV is unblemished and they can go and coach their brand of turgid football somewhere else.

25 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Have to agree, I wasn't sure when they got the job although like most I thought give them a chance, but after an initial steadying of the ship we really haven't improved at all. Their recruitment in the main has been poor, also think they struggle to separate being a manager from being a player and are too close to the players which probably doesn't help. Just never been convinced by the pair of them tbh. I think the best they could hope for is to somehow get us over the line and promoted then their CV is unblemished and they can go and coach their brand of turgid football somewhere else.

Totally. But the crunch for me is at Board level.  We will find out if there is truely a new broom with a forward thinking bod who are prepared to take bold decisions and say thanks very much but ta ta even if we are promoted.  If they are truely wanting to progress the club as they say they will see what we are seeing and bin the two of them and go get a proper manager.

7 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

A management team isn't the same as joint managers. You're comparing two different things. Clough was Number 1. Taylor was Number 2, albeit one held in very high regard by Clough, but still a Number 2.

1 hour ago, ebobsboy said:

Aye, agree with this I think?

McKinnon obviously had to go and we needed to bring somebody in to steady things that could relate to the players and club. They fitted that perfectly however, I did think it was going to be a short-term fix. The problem was that they did initially improve results and performances and I do think that we would have won the league last season if it wasn't for Covid. Performances pre-season this term were good, quite impressive in fact in spells and I think we were entitled to think that this would continue into the season however the opposite has been true.

I still believe though that we need to stick with them because they have got us top of the league and a change now could be damaging. I don't see however how they're suddenly going to have us playing entertaining football in the Championship and feel that we'd be at the wrong end of the league most of the time. Unless they can turn things around considerably in terms of performance then I feel that the BOD and Holt should be looking for their successor. The Board can't exactly come out and say that though and therefore they need to support them while they're still here.

Like under McKinnon we still in my opinion rely on the performance of the opposition more than our own.  Montrose played some neat stuff but were toothless up front , defended poorly at a corner and then lost the second chasing the game.  The forfar goalie gifted us two goals but we created very little otherwise. Dumbarton turned up were solid in defence and worked their game plan to a tee. We only looked like scoring when we flung on a pile of attacking players near the end and scraper a point. We seem to play at the same level every week.  If a team makes a mistake great we'll perhaps get 3 points but if a team turns up defends stoutly and doesn't then there's a good chance we'll get nothing or a point at best. We can't up our game at all it would seem and we rely on the opposition to create something for us more than creating anything ourselves. If that doesn't change quickly we won't get anything from games against Airdrie or cove that's for sure.

47 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

One thing that struck me on Tuesday is that you've got Jim Duffy in one dugout M&M in the other.  Duffy was out barking instructions at his team more often than all of our bench combined. The silence was very telling.

Quite unlike Duffy tbh. He sits in the stand most games and says f**k all. It's usually Barry Smith giving out instructions. 

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Quite unlike Duffy tbh. He sits in the stand most games and says f**k all. It's usually Barry Smith giving out instructions. 

Very strange. Smith used to be very quiet on the touchline when he was our manager and the fans used to moan about it. Duffy, who didn't bother with an assistant for the vast majority of his two spells as Dundee manager, used to be throwing his arms about like some daft Chewin' the Fat sketch.

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Very strange. Smith used to be very quiet on the touchline when he was our manager and the fans used to moan about it. Duffy, who didn't bother with an assistant for the vast majority of his two spells as Dundee manager, used to be throwing his arms about like some daft Chewin' the Fat sketch.

I think since Duffy's heart attack he's tried to stay a bit calmer on the side lines.

14 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Smith was really vocal with us.  At smaller grounds, all you could pretty much hear was "Fucking get it forward"

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Like under McKinnon we still in my opinion rely on the performance of the opposition more than our own.  Montrose played some neat stuff but were toothless up front , defended poorly at a corner and then lost the second chasing the game.  The forfar goalie gifted us two goals but we created very little otherwise. Dumbarton turned up were solid in defence and worked their game plan to a tee. We only looked like scoring when we flung on a pile of attacking players near the end and scraper a point. We seem to play at the same level every week.  If a team makes a mistake great we'll perhaps get 3 points but if a team turns up defends stoutly and doesn't then there's a good chance we'll get nothing or a point at best. We can't up our game at all it would seem and we rely on the opposition to create something for us more than creating anything ourselves. If that doesn't change quickly we won't get anything from games against Airdrie or cove that's for sure.

Airdrie have lost all 3 games since the season resumed - unfortunately for us we are the perfect fixture for them as M&M will set us up to play for a draw which will give Airdrie the impetus to attack us. I’m not confident at all.

It’s just rubbish like this that is taking the piss. We weren’t “off our levels”. We don’t have any levels. We played the same if not better than we did v forfar, but weren’t gifted 2 goals. The players must know how out of their depth they are 

0316553E-34CF-4837-A368-3068F413D75E.png

42 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

It’s just rubbish like this that is taking the piss. We weren’t “off our levels”. We don’t have any levels. We played the same if not better than we did v forfar, but weren’t gifted 2 goals. The players must know how out of their depth they are 

0316553E-34CF-4837-A368-3068F413D75E.png

I actually thought we played better and created more against Dumbarton than we did against Montrose. "Our levels" are fucking appalling.

Edited by wee_bairn

48 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

I actually thought we played better and created more against Dumbarton than we did against Montrose. "Our levels" are fucking appalling.

The first half was two freekicks. M&M obviously thought pushing our full backs up would make the difference..... obviously more suspect to breakaway and we had to tear up the 2-7-1 formation 😃

We created more because we had to as we didn't have a goal to protect but we were clueless, did we really need Telfer, Alston and Gomis on the park ? 

No for me but M&M thought our 30+ fullbacks were the answer