The Falkirk FC Thread

One thing I really don't get is what has influenced M & M for their ideas about how the team is organised or set up, and how they could possibly think this season's performances have been good enough.  

Miller played in a team with Coyle & Samuel as a front line, plus Davie Nic, Mark Kerr & Craig McPherson;  McCracken was in with Sibbs, Vaulks, Loy,  McGrandles;  did either of them learn nowt from the way those teams played?  

8 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

This is it for me. A 433 works best when your wingers play narrow in support of the striker and the fullbacks get high to provide the width. That's never going to happen when you're asking FBs with a combined age of 67 to play 2 games a week. Either use the squad or alter the tactics. 

It might have salvaged a point last night but playing 2 strikers isn't a magic bullet either. We've turned in plenty dross performances with a 442. 

Sometimes you have to look to the past for what to do in the future. Would give a few teams a fright of you went out with 2 wingers a big center forward and the original inside forward style of forward line. 2 fullbacks and a center half partnered by 2 old fashioned half backs.

FFC did that against Coventry in the Texaco cup in the 70's and they did not have a clue how to cope with it.

For one game go out and try it people just might be suprised - Coventry were ! 

25 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

Had to laugh at McCracken interview last night when he said “Dumbarton were fighting for their lives in this league” I Take it we are quite happy in this league with no reason to get our arses moving and show some drive and determination to make sure we captured the necessary 3 points?
The interviews are as bad as the performances, I don’t know who they are trying to kid!

As much as he did his best to look abject during his post match interview, it really was a load of pish, the fact he believes Robbie Leitch is an important player really sums up the bother we are in. I'm looking forward to his post match interview after the impending humping at Celtic to hear what other pearls of wisdom he will bestow on us. 

28 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

As much as he did his best to look abject during his post match interview, it really was a load of pish, the fact he believes Robbie Leitch is an important player really sums up the bother we are in. I'm looking forward to his post match interview after the impending humping at Celtic to hear what other pearls of wisdom he will bestow on us. 

It can’t be worse than the nauseating Rangers love in we endured from them back in November when we didn’t lay a glove on them for 90 mins. All the “we can learn so much from how they play”. What the f**k was that then? There was a time 3 or 4 years ago in the leagu where we took as many points off them as they took off us 2 years running, deservedly so. Now our players and managers are starstruck even sharing a pitch and dugout with them. 

In this league we should be able to set a side up to attack and score loads of goals and say feck it who cares if they score as we'll just get 3. If sides like Dumbarton and forfar were far more concerned about keeping us out at one end of the pitch they wouldn't have time to score at the other end.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Everything about how we want to play is so complicated. Duffy knew exactly how we would play last night and didn’t have to do much to stop us. We are unable to think ahead and keep the opposition guessing.

For me we should go really simple now.

4-4-2.

Mutch
Neilson Hall McLelland Dixon

Morrison Alston/Gomis Telfer Connelly

Dowds Keena

Chalk on Morrison’s and Connelly’s boots and stretch teams getting crosses in for two strikers

22 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

In this league we should be able to set a side up to attack and score loads of goals and say feck it who cares if they score as we'll just get 3. If sides like Dumbarton and forfar were far more concerned about keeping us out at one end of the pitch they wouldn't have time to score at the other end.

Jock Stein summed up your post when asked  about possible defensive weakness in his 1967 European side.

Its the opposite said Jock Celtic are a very defensive team. Interviewer ask incredulous What ! He answered ' When we have possession in the opposition half that is the best defensive formation any team can have'

He was right and it worked because the players made it work. 

17 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Everything about how we want to play is so complicated. Duffy knew exactly how we would play last night and didn’t have to do much to stop us. We are unable to think ahead and keep the opposition guessing.

For me we should go really simple now.

4-4-2.

Mutch
Neilson Hall McLelland Dixon

Morrison Alston/Gomis Telfer Connelly

Dowds Keena

Chalk on Morrison’s and Connelly’s boots and stretch teams getting crosses in for two strikers

Totally simple 🙌👍 yet has potential to be so effective 

what I don’t get is us amateurs see the simplicity of such a set up why can’t they with the coaching badges see it 🤔

Fans are perfectly comfortable with the fact that a group of players can be good enough to win you a league yet not good enough to compete in the league above, yet completely boke when the exact same logic is applied to managers.

How many times have we seen this abject pitter patter pish of trying patiently to break down teams teasing and testing and hopefully score a goal?
We sometimes don’t manage to do it and inevitably the other team goes up the park and score and then we up the pace and take chances. Why don’t we spring out of the traps and if the other team does score then we have plenty of time instead of panicking as per.
Many on here will remember a SPL game against St Mirren at TFS (Maybe 2008/9) and had to win. They blew us to bits in the first 10 mins - I think they had about 10 corners or something like that in the period. Now that’s what I call urgency, tempo, intent and ultimately showing you are right up for that fight!!!
I don’t know why we don’t have a real go early, you’d be surprised because most managers know this is how we play and got us sussed.

On 30/03/2021 at 22:57, FFC 1876 said:

Holt's been employed as a director of football and therefore isn't available. Given everybody knows Martindale's been the main man at Livi for years I'm not buying that Holt would do a better job. This isn't me defending M&M it's just a case of we're top of the league by 4 points with possibly 4 more likely 8 games to go. Who do we actually see out there who's going to be an actual improvement. M&M can't keep making the same mistakes granted but given this is their first managers role they are going to have f*ck ups. I don't see the players not playing for M&M like they were when Mckinnon or Hartley were in charge. 

Holt's issue is that he's just too nice of a guy. When everything is going fine, then he's a great guy to keep it going. He's absolutely useless when it's going against him though, he turned a minor dip in form at us into a nosedive because he wanted to play wingers as strikers and Efe Ambrose as a wing back ffs. We had a back 5 where it was all CBs it was mental.