The Falkirk FC Thread

9 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

McGlynn's always been good with his loan signings. Jamie Walker and Barrie Mckay are prime examples from the past. Also you have the advantage of having a fuctioning youth set up.

Yeah his loan signings are usually excellent. That and his ability to develop and get the best out of players who either haven’t reached their potential or are a bit down on their luck are his biggest strengths. The likes of Tade, Brian Graham and Kevin Nisbet previously and Reghan Tumilty this season. Hopefully he can manage the same with James Keatings and Zanatta next year.

The academy is another advantage of McGlynn. Last time he ripped it up and started again. The likes of Laidlaw, Bates, Callachan, Vaughan, Matthews, Mackie and McKay were all products of the system he put in place. This time around we have already sold Bowie who is scoring for fun in the Fulham under 18’s and Tait looks a great prospect with a few younger ones in the pipeline.

I won’t hijack the Falkirk thread with any more Rovers chat but I hope Falkirk can get their academy up and running again. You were well known for your production of talented youngsters and it helps give a club an identity rather than an endless line of overpaid mercenaries who you struggle to remember a few years down the line like you have suffered in recent years and we were subjected to under Gary Locke and Barry Smith.

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

This is an interesting point though for a lot of those seasons  we had Hibs, Rangers, Utd etc and they didn't run away with it as easily as a terrible Hearts team are doing this year.  

On a related point, I do sometimes wonder whether our bias means some past teams and players we've had become better from memory than they actually were in reality.  I started going to games in mid 80s so I'm thinking about guys like Derek McWilliams, Sam McGivern etc who we all remember very fondly but more often than not were in teams competing (but not necessarily winning) the 1st division/championship.  The season we finished 5th in the premier league (under Jeffries) is probably the only time pre Yogi that I remember us not in tier 2 or battling relegation from the premier (despite some of the players we had in those teams).  

Were we just not as good as we think or was the overall standard better back then?  

Bias my arse, this man was a fucking legend !!!!

2071FD07-8B10-4A59-8A0B-C344E4D4A9FB.jpeg

4 hours ago, MS RR said:

The standard of the championship is as bad as I can remember, so if we go up we wouldn't need to be that good to do well. Teams like Morton, Arbroath and Ayr are clubs that definitely shouldn't be able to compete with us if we go up. I still wouldn't want M&M in the championship though. 

Slow down, there; we don't need to be thinking about competing with anyone other than League 1 right now. Other than the Hartley/McKinnon squads, the standard of our current team is as bad as I can remember, so probably best not dish the dirt so freely. 

Mutch and Morrison certainly, Keena (currently an unknown quantity), Gomis & Telfer maybe,  and Alston (but sadly unrecognisable so far), could hopefully give us something to build around; most of the rest are barely adequate, and then there's some real dross - Todd (cheerio) and  Francis are particularly woeful. 

Our performances this season have been either dull, unconvincing, poor or rank rotten, and the last time we managed to build a healthy lead in this League we promptly threw it away with 1 point out of 9, remember?  As for competing -  well Forfar were pretty poor on Saturday, but without major help from their 'keeper - for both goals - and Alston hitting the post from distance, how many real chances did we make?  We've still a way to go this season, and seriously upping the quality of our performances would be a good start.  Does anyone really think tonight will be anything other than more of the same?    

4 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

We may consider the Championship to be poor now that we are no longer in it. However I think we should remember just how many years we have been trying to get out of it (in an upward direction I mean).
It’s not suddenly degraded significantly overnight now we are no longer there....

The standard was poor the last few years we were in the championship, Houston's last full season we were pish yet finished 2nd and christ Morton finished 4th 😄

The live games on a Friday night have been worse than our games, the zero crowds don't help but the majority of them are with Hearts which has seen them sneak a win or a draw in the majority of them. 

The league never lies but it shows how poor the rest are.

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I like the pace and energy the younger loan signings have brought to your side in the few times I've seen them on the TV I've got to say.

They've definitely done that, particularly Jones and Mebude who are both lightning quick.

To be fair to Johnston, though, he did try and bring in pace in the summer through Fitzpatrick and Shields. Fitzpatrick has looked good in fits and starts and Shields was wasted out wide for the beginning of the season. He has definitely improved that side of the team in January though.

46 minutes ago, Mr X said:

They've definitely done that, particularly Jones and Mebude who are both lightning quick.

To be fair to Johnston, though, he did try and bring in pace in the summer through Fitzpatrick and Shields. Fitzpatrick has looked good in fits and starts and Shields was wasted out wide for the beginning of the season. He has definitely improved that side of the team in January though.

Mebude is now banned !!

Well that’s another shocker IMO. Our home form this year is absolutely awful. Draws against Dumbarton, Forfar, 10 man Partick and a defeat to Airdrie. How is this acceptable? We’ve been lucky to get results but as we said when we lost to East Fife, you can’t keep getting away with it. No chance we’ll win the league from what I’ve seen, especially if we have to play the split. 

14 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

Hopefully this is the last we see of Durnan. Complete liability although this referee is the worst I’ve seen in a long long time. 

And yet he's better in this hellhole of a league than Hall. Would play him with Neilson or McCaffrey before Hall.

Simply not good enough. Don’t know why we don’t start the game at a faster pace and go hell for leather for an early goal and get on the front foot.
Serious question marks on the whole management team. I can’t see how the extra expense of a DOF can be justified.
I feel we stroll around the field thinking we are better than we are. We never fail to surprise, when we need to up the ante and show we are serious contenders we fail miserably.
Just look at the comparison to Raith Rovers tonight... we’ve got to ask the questions, are we motivated? I don’t see it!
Another missed opportunity I’m afraid.

3 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

Simply not good enough. Don’t know why we don’t start the game at a faster pace and go hell for leather for an early goal and get on the front foot.
Serious question marks on the whole management team. I can’t see how the extra expense of a DOF can be justified.
I feel we stroll around the field thinking we are better than we are. We never fail to surprise, when we need to up the ante and show we are serious contenders we fail miserably.
Just look at the comparison to Raith Rovers tonight... we’ve got to ask the questions, are we motivated? I don’t see it!
Another missed opportunity I’m afraid.

100% a missed opportunity when Partick draw at home to an awful Forfar team. Lead cut down to 4 points with us playing Cove soon. 

Guest Peter LaFleur

Falkirk and thistle could both end up in this midden of a league again next season. Appalling from the management team tonight. Leitch? One up top? Miller instead of Neilson? Chuckle brothers as our centre back pairing? It’s not even one error in team selection or formation tonight that was the problem. Total fucking mess from start to finish. Absolutely deflated.

Edited by Peter LaFleur

At least Neilson will be in the team for Airdrie away next Tuesday and surely to god Dowds and Keena will play up top together. Great finish from Dowds tonight and we weren't great but Ramsbottom made 3 very good saves to keep them in it. Definite foul on Dixon for their goal but we deserve all we get playing one upfront and a centre back pairing of Hall and Durnan. Just idiocy from Durnan he didn't need to get involved, wasn't much in it but you're always giving the ref a decision to make when you raise your hands. 2 points dropped.

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

At least Neilson will be in the team for Airdrie away next Tuesday and surely to god Dowds and Keena will play up top together. Great finish from Dowds tonight and we weren't great but Ramsbottom made 3 very good saves to keep them in it. Definite foul on Dixon for their goal but we deserve all we get playing one upfront and a centre back pairing of Hall and Durnan. Just idiocy from Durnan he didn't need to get involved, wasn't much in it but you're always giving the ref a decision to make when you raise your hands. 2 points dropped.

Was it violent conduct though he was sent off for? I was out at that point. If it is then he'll miss the Celtic game.

Anyone still of a mind that this lot wouldn’t be too far off challenging for the Championship play off places if we go up?

Certainly a competent manager would get more out of them but even so too many of that squad are in the wrong job.