The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Smikka Smikka Smoodoo said:

Do you think Dulux would be impressed at an employee saying "I'm a big Johnstone's fan"?

This is maybe my favourite ever post on P&B

8 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Not voiced more than people wanting to put their own cash in to keep it going?  Most of your average fans bought the complete crap spouted by lang and Campbell that's the problem. If more of them had gone to Stirling and seen the set up and standard out there then there would be been far more opposition. The problem is we had started punting players before they even got a game in the first team which meant they were leaving earlier and earlier and the result was a barren spell for a couple of years. That would have rectified itself as the next batch came through and even during the barren spell we were still making cash from add ons and transfer percentages. Campbell had to justify his wages so came up with this idea and wouldn't let it go no matter how ridiculous it was.

They made a key point saying they would put money in but not enough was said of the fact that there are more talents coming through. Many people were losing faith after 2/3 years of O'Hara, Shepherds, and Blues being the best of what we had.

The lack of association with the club certainly aided it's downfall. Fans supported a Falkirk academy, not a FV academy. During my time at uni I spent a lot of my time using the facilities at Stirling also and they were great. Facilities don't make great players though. 

16 minutes ago, Smikka Smikka Smoodoo said:

Do you think Dulux would be impressed at an employee saying "I'm a big Johnstone's fan"? 

Footballers, those with half a brain, keep their allegiances to themselves. It's a job. 

A79C19AE-8BE1-4BE8-8DD9-B41F28AA57A7.jpeg

9 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

They made a key point saying they would put money in but not enough was said of the fact that there are more talents coming through. Many people were losing faith after 2/3 years of O'Hara, Shepherds, and Blues being the best of what we had.

The lack of association with the club certainly aided it's downfall. Fans supported a Falkirk academy, not a FV academy. During my time at uni I spent a lot of my time using the facilities at Stirling also and they were great. Facilities don't make great players though. 

Did you think they would want to.spend their hard earned cash if the standard was poor? Having watched  the games there regularly and spoken to the coaches they were excited about the next batch coming through.  Even in those years you talk about we were still earning decent money from the likes of Gallagher , biabi and Blair. It wasn't as if the income side had dried up.  Anyone who regularly attended the academy games knew what a god awful decision it was.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

No but having watched  the games their regularly and spoken to the coaches they were excited about the next batch coming through.  Even in those years you talk about we were still earning decent money from the likes of Gallagher , biabi and Blair. It wasn't as if the income side had dried up.  Anyone who regularly attended the academy games knew what a god awful decision it was.

Fair enough, if you watched a lot more youth games than me then I'm not in a position to question that. 

Hopefully getting out this leagues acts as a springboard and we can get an academy set up to help us challenge for promotion again. Hopefully more news is on the horizon regarding who is heading it up.

1 minute ago, latapythelegend said:

Fair enough, if you watched a lot more youth games than me then I'm not in a position to question that. 

Hopefully getting out this leagues acts as a springboard and we can get an academy set up to help us challenge for promotion again. Hopefully more news is on the horizon regarding who is heading it up.

They should be straight on the phone to mick mccardle begging him to come back. He got shafted the last time though so may be a lost cause.

Just seen Lewis Toshney has left ICT and seems to be wanting a club closer to the central belt. I know he's a wee bit injury-prone, but he's still only 28 and I think he was actually our strongest CB last season before he left. Wouldn't be totally averse to taking him back.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

Just now, 18BAIRN76 said:

Just seen Lewis Toshney has left ICT and seems to be wanting a club closer to the central belt. I know he's a wee bit injury-prone but I think he was actually our strongest CB last season before he left. Wouldn't be totally averse to taking him back.

Agreed, don't think he put a foot wrong in the little time he played for us. 

1 hour ago, latapythelegend said:

If I had a kid at 11 years old who had the chance to play "pro-youth" with a Stenny/Falkirk/Shire or the opportunity to play with a Gairdoch/Syngenta/Steins. It would be the latter until such times as they reach an age where they know the can go in do something in the game, at which point a senior club would come calling at 15/16.

Johnny  Cum Lately's mate - it’s ICI and always will be.

Toshney has managed a total of 3 games and a further 3 minutes of one match against Alloa before he got injured again. The guy hasn't played a game in over a year now because of his injury problems. If you do pick him up good luck to you. He did look okay when he featured but unfortunately seems to be made of glass.

Edited by RiG

Just now, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I played for ICI in the 80’s and 90’s so possibly played against your dad or brothers team.

Think you'll be a generation in-between, my dad was coaching at that time and my brother was late 00's.

Still believe boys should be playing with these sort of teams up until 15/16. In-grains a competitive attitude that youth set ups at senior clubs don't encourage. Going into the club houses / pavilions at these established boys clubs and you see trophies and photos on the wall of previous teams is a better encouragement for a kid than promising them a shiny strip and tracksuit at a club academy.

Even if boys don't make it, the transition from boys club football to amatuer is always valuable and keeps grassroots football alive. 

15 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Think you'll be a generation in-between, my dad was coaching at that time and my brother was late 00's.

Still believe boys should be playing with these sort of teams up until 15/16. In-grains a competitive attitude that youth set ups at senior clubs don't encourage. Going into the club houses / pavilions at these established boys clubs and you see trophies and photos on the wall of previous teams is a better encouragement for a kid than promising them a shiny strip and tracksuit at a club academy.

Even if boys don't make it, the transition from boys club football to amatuer is always valuable and keeps grassroots football alive. 

Yip - I had a real sense of pride playing for ICI and the setup, for its time, was excellent. They taught me to be a winner which is missing now.

It certainly helped my transition to the amateur ranks.