The Falkirk FC Thread

34 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Think it was the season when John Prentice was the manager and we wore white shirts.

I have it in my mind that Prentice actually designed the original Steeple crest.

Don't think it was Prentice RP; one of the Board at the time I think.  Bob Shaw?  Willie McFarlane?  Early 70's. Think the story went that whoever it was, used a coin on a piece of paper to draw the circle...or maybe I was just fed that story in The Wheatsheaf after a match.  That white shirts & blue shorts combo though...classy.  Always reminds me of Stuart Kennedy, Jim Shirra, and Jocky Whiteford.  (sigh). 

I'd be surprised if any senior player ever wanted to play in the reserve team. At the end of the day the reason they are in it is because they ain't  playing well enough to get in the first team.  You surely want them to hate playing in it so they work their arse off to get into the first team. If I was a manager I'd be desperate to get the reserve team back. We produced far better players when we had reserve leagues than the academies with all the top notch equipment we have these days.

I actually think I agree that young players are technically better in this country than they ever have been. The problem is getting them learning the game at 17+. Smaller leagues 100% have not helped as managers can’t afford to take a chance and blood players earlier.

Something has to change

10 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

And look where we are now - a shite team in a soulless stadium. Mmmm, life is good!

That was against Rangers and a couple of days before the Ibrox disaster. Taken not far away from where I was standing in the enclosure. Know that view well !

Fergie scoring and running down the track to the Rangers dug out where my mate told me Fergie gave arm & elbow get it up you saying the Waddell & Wallace 'Hows that for an Ffffn reject. Roxburgh got booked right in front of me shortly after. Often reflect on the poor Rangers fans who were at that game that so tragically died. Could have been standing beside some of them.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

I actually think I agree that young players are technically better in this country than they ever have been. The problem is getting them learning the game at 17+. Smaller leagues 100% have not helped as managers can’t afford to take a chance and blood players earlier.

Something has to change

I`ve moaned about that since the inception of the Premier League in the mid 70`s. One of the main reasons used for cutting the numbers down to 10 was the amount of "meaningless" games in the last quarter of an 18 team set up.

They were maybe meaningless in terms of  title chasing /avoiding relegation but they served a great purpose in allowing teams in that mid table position to blood youngsters.

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Something has to change

It should be done to benefit all young players at teams though and not just those that happen to play for one of the two arse cheeks. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

I`ve seen that pic on social media before and I`m sure it was stated as being a 0-3 league defeat against Rangers in September 1971.
Crowd given as 20,000 so you can imagine it was well over that as the pic would indicate.

The 3-1 win in 71 was a bitterly cold day, and I am sure there was some snow on the pitch. Kind of remember McLoy being in goals for them that day, and weirdly, they played Celtic the next day in what turned into the Ibrox Disaster.
What threw me was I thought that was still the brewery in the background, but by all accounts, it was demolished in 1970.

4 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

That was against Rangers and a couple of days before the Ibrox disaster. Taken not far away from where I was standing in the enclosure. Know that view well !

Fergie scoring and running down the track to the Rangers dug out where my mate told me Fergie gave arm & elbow get it up you saying the Waddell & Wallace 'Hows that for an Ffffn reject. Roxburgh got booked right in front of me shortly after. Often reflect on the poor Rangers fans who were at that game that so tragically died. Could have been standing beside some of them.

My mum and her family are from Lochgilphead. One of her brothers, my dearest uncle (to this day) has been a mad Rangers fan since the late 60's when he was able to get the bus through to Glasgow for Rangers games.

His chosen place to stand was at the top of Stairway 13. He has attended every single Rangers home game from those days until the present day. Apart from one. He got monumentally hammered the night before the fateful game and hence was too hungover for the bus for Glasgow, and the ensuing carnage. To this day, he is convinced he would have been caught up in the tragedy as he was a habitual attender of that part of the stadium.

16 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'd be surprised if any senior player ever wanted to play in the reserve team. At the end of the day the reason they are in it is because they ain't  playing well enough to get in the first team.  You surely want them to hate playing in it so they work their arse off to get into the first team. If I was a manager I'd be desperate to get the reserve team back. We produced far better players when we had reserve leagues than the academies with all the top notch equipment we have these days.

There has to be some form of reserve football for players coming back from injury or players trying to break into the first team. How FFC can expect these players to go straight into the 1st team with no match fitness is beyond me - that said we are playing in Div 3 so maybe not that essential for this crap standard.

I like the U23 set up in England where you can play up to 3 over age outfield players, perfect number for ensuring youth development plus getting injured players match fit. I know they had this in the SPFL Development League but it was 5 over age players which was too much. Nowadays we have the SPFL Reserve Leagues and it saddens me to see clubs like Alloa, Queens Park & Airdrie participle with their reserve teams whilst we don't even have one. Was this just a cost decision?       

7 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

There has to be some form of reserve football for players coming back from injury or players trying to break into the first team. How FFC can expect these players to go straight into the 1st team with no match fitness is beyond me - that said we are playing in Div 3 so maybe not that essential for this crap standard.

I like the U23 set up in England where you can play up to 3 over age outfield players, perfect number for ensuring youth development plus getting injured players match fit. I know they had this in the SPFL Development League but it was 5 over age players which was too much. Nowadays we have the SPFL Reserve Leagues and it saddens me to see clubs like Alloa, Queens Park & Airdrie participle with their reserve teams whilst we don't even have one. Was this just a cost decision?       

Used to watch a lot of reserve football when I could not afford an away game.

You are right ! you got experienced players coming back to fitness and the game savvy teaching the younger players got in one game must have been priceless.

The times you saw 16-17 year olds getting talked and sometimes shouted through games.

Remember one game the late great Alex Scott was playing. Jeeze he worked so hard with the younger players during the game.

Can you image what he taught them from his illustrious career in one game. It would surpass 6 months coaching.

10 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

My mum and her family are from Lochgilphead. One of her brothers, my dearest uncle (to this day) has been a mad Rangers fan since the late 60's when he was able to get the bus through to Glasgow for Rangers games.

His chosen place to stand was at the top of Stairway 13. He has attended every single Rangers home game from those days until the present day. Apart from one. He got monumentally hammered the night before the fateful game and hence was too hungover for the bus for Glasgow, and the ensuing carnage. To this day, he is convinced he would have been caught up in the tragedy as he was a habitual attender of that part of the stadium.

Chilled the bones reading that. His personal torment must have been hard to endure with the 'What ifs'

13 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

The 3-1 win in 71 was a bitterly cold day, and I am sure there was some snow on the pitch. Kind of remember McLoy being in goals for them that day, and weirdly, they played Celtic the next day in what turned into the Ibrox Disaster.
What threw me was I thought that was still the brewery in the background, but by all accounts, it was demolished in 1970.

20,000 my arse ! hard to judge but they were packed solid even in the enclosure nearer 25 -27 k

16 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Something has to change

Think a lot of individuality is coached out of kids these days. You played football with your mates and had you range of tricks and touches. Learning how to make the best of what you were good at and how to make your weaknesses less damaging.

Would Jimmy Johnstone or Jim Baxter make it now ? not a chance !

20,000 my arse ! hard to judge but they were packed solid even in the enclosure nearer 25 -27 k

That was someone else that said the attendance was declared as 20k, but there were many more than that in there.