The Falkirk FC Thread

According to reports that's 3 deadlines the Scottish government have now missed in this the most recent being yesterday morning. Frankly that's ridiculous when clubs and players livelihoods are at risk here. A null and void could see a whole pile of players dumped on the scrapheap with their contracts simply ripped up not to mention the amounts clubs will have to repay fans and quite possibly sponsors.  Whilst the SFA has a lot to answer for sacrificing the lower leagues the government shouldn't be letting its internal squabbles get in the way of running the bloody country.

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

According to reports that's 3 deadlines the Scottish government have now missed in this the most recent being yesterday morning. Frankly that's ridiculous when clubs and players livelihoods are at risk here. A null and void could see a whole pile of players dumped on the scrapheap with their contracts simply ripped up not to mention the amounts clubs will have to repay fans and quite possibly sponsors.  Whilst the SFA has a lot to answer for sacrificing the lower leagues the government shouldn't be letting its internal squabbles get in the way of running the bloody country.

Couldn’t agree more. Why worry about a global pandemic when League 1 and 2 are on furlough....

The fact the Government aren’t actually saying what’s stopping the leagues to get back and what needs to happen to get the leagues back. Yes, the SFA stopped the leagues but it’s the government stopping them from returning. This goes way past the furlough that was mentioned. Is there no regard for players mental health or well being? The rate of spread is now lower than what it was when we were last playing added to the fact all clubs have agreed to test. 

If it was so bad, the other leagues would have been stopped also. To me, it’s quite clear what is happening here. They are delaying it as much and as long as possible so the only option is to cancel the full thing and then turn around and say “we had no option”. If this happens, I hope the clubs take this as far as possible. 

I mean Jason Leitch said we were close to good news. How long is close? He’s on off the ball more than Tam Cowan ffs and we’re no further forward.

Edited by CC52 FFC

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Why would contracts be 'ripped up' when clubs are taking advantage of furlough? And given that the SPFL doesn't have a competition sponsor, the grand total of money paid back to sponsors for not completing the season at league level is zero. 

Other than those basic factual errors, a solid 0/10, weepy nonsense post about the injustice of it all. There's a nationwide lockdown - sit down with your self-entitled pish. 

11 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

The fact the Government aren’t actually saying what’s stopping the leagues to get back and what needs to happen to get the leagues back. Yes, the SFA stopped the leagues but it’s the government stopping them from returning. This goes way past the furlough that was mentioned. Is there no regard for players mental health or well being? The rate of spread is now lower than what it was when we were last playing added to the fact all clubs have agreed to test. 

If it was so bad, the other leagues would have been stopped also. To me, it’s quite clear what is happening here. They are delaying it as much and as long as possible so the only option is to cancel the full thing and then turn around and say “we had no option”. If this happens, I hope the clubs take this as far as possible. 

I mean Jason Leitch said we were close to good news. How long is close? He’s on off the ball more than Tam Cowan ffs and we’re no further forward.

Govts ok with rangers travelling to Belgium for a match with absolutely no quarantine when they come back but we aren't allowed to play fecking Clyde up the road. 

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

Why would contracts be 'ripped up' when clubs are taking advantage of furlough? And given that the SPFL doesn't have a competition sponsor, the grand total of money paid back to sponsors for not completing the season at league level is zero. 

Other than those basic factual errors, a solid 0/10, weepy nonsense post about the injustice of it all. There's a nationwide lockdown - sit down with your self-entitled pish. 

He didn't mention anything about SPFL sponsors being repaid. He was referring to clubs. 

4 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

He didn't mention anything about SPFL sponsors being repaid. He was referring to clubs. 

How much did clubs have to pay back to individual sponsors for not completing the 19/20 campaign? 

Edited by vikingTON

14 minutes ago, virginton said:

Teams have sponsors do they not? If I'm paying 2ook to sponsor some clubs  jersey over a certain number 14 games then I'm not going to be happy with 5 or 6 . Same with advertising boards at stadium. So I would say the grand total needing paid back could be pretty substantial.  If your paying up players wages or their on deals longer than you want this is an easy way to get rid of them.  If a players signed a two year deal and been shit cheerio saves us paying for another season and there's feck all the player can do about it.  This is all added to say 2000 plus season tickets sold for 14 home games when only what half that have been played.  It's going to be big sums going out the door that's for sure and when it comes to trying to get sponsors for next season when a lot of firms are in a tight financial spot it's going to be very difficult when companies hsve been pissed about two seasons on the trot.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

How much did clubs have to pay back to individual sponsors for not completing the 19/20 campaign? 

I have no idea, nor does any member of this forum I'd imagine as that tends to be sensitive information that clubs are not going to share with the general public. 

Of course, you seem to know that no money was paid back to any sponsors hence the smug response and obviously know that will be same for this season. 

This is the point where you say "swing and a miss" or something to that effect isn't it? 

15 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Teams have sponsors do they not? If I'm paying 2ook to sponsor some clubs  jersey over a certain number 14 games then I'm not going to be happy with 5 or 6 . Same with advertising boards at stadium. So I would say the grand total needing paid back could be pretty substantial. 

How much did clubs pay back to individual sponsors last season, when the exact same scenario occurred?

If your paying up players wages or their on deals longer than you want this is an easy way to get rid of them.  If a players signed a two year deal and been shit cheerio saves us paying for another season and there's feck all the player can do about it. 

Well yes there is actually because clubs are still bound by their existing contracts. I've no idea why you think that furlough changes players' contract rights: it does not.

This is all added to say 2000 plus season tickets sold for 14 home games when only what half that have been played.  It's going to be big sums going out the door that's for sure.

If Scottish football clubs were foolish enough to offer a 14 game package from October 2020 then the onus is on those businesses to deal with the fallout and find an accommodation with its customers - rolling over those benefits into next season if customers want this option. I don't see the Barrowlands crying about the fact that their scheduled gigs in the first half of 2021 have been canned by a national lockdown. 

The government is not responsible for bailing out Scottish football's ridiculous business approach during a pandemic. 

Edited by vikingTON

15 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

I have no idea, nor does any member of this forum I'd imagine as that tends to be sensitive information that clubs are not going to share with the general public. 

Of course, you seem to know that no money was paid back to any sponsors hence the smug response and obviously know that will be same for this season. 

This is the point where you say "swing and a miss" or something to that effect isn't it? 

If you had seen this coming then I've no idea why you went down this rabbit-hole of fail. Club sponsors are completely irrelevant to the decision to null and void: the only issue (as was the case twelve months ago) is with league sponsors who pay out the real cash. 

As there is no league sponsor for the SPFL competition and the TV contracts are highly likely to be fulfilled in full, there is therefore no obstacle to null and voiding the leagues. The only question would be whether the prize money would be distributed based on current league positions or paid equally to every club in the division.

You understandably enough would not want that outcome to happen, but the idea that it would produce a financial disaster that would chuck hundreds of poor young men out of their profession is nonsense. Indeed, the greatest risk to the survival of the professional game and to players' livelihoods is actually continuing without crowds: including at the Championship level. 

If it comes down to a choice between playing 18 games or sitting on furlough until null and void prize money rolls in then I suspect many clubs will prefer the latter. It would after all be in the best interests of securing their club's future to do so.

Edited by vikingTON

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

If you had seen this coming then I've no idea why you went down this rabbit-hole of fail. Club sponsors are completely irrelevant to the decision to null and void: the only issue (as was the case twelve months ago) is with league sponsors who pay out the real cash. 

As there is no league sponsor for the SPFL competition and the TV contracts are highly likely to be fulfilled in full, there is therefore no obstacle to null and voiding the leagues. The only question would be whether the prize money is based on current league positions or paid equally to every club in the division.

You understandably enough would not want that outcome to happen, but the idea that it would produce a financial disaster that would chuck hundreds of poor young men out of their profession is nonsense. Indeed, the greatest risk to the survival of the professional game is actually continuing without crowds: including at the Championship level. 

If it comes down to a choice between playing 18 games or sitting on furlough until null and void prize money rolls in then I suspect many clubs will prefer the latter. It would after all be in the best interests of securing their club's future to do so.

"league sponsors who pay out the real cash"

"there is no league sponsor for the SPFL competition"

The prize money for the 2020/21 SPFL ('the league') therefore consists solely of the money from TV contracts. Can't believe that I had to walk you through that particularly simple concept, but here we are.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

The prize money for the 2020/21 SPFL ('the league') therefore consists solely of the money from TV contracts. Can't believe that I had to walk you through that particularly simple concept, but here we are.

That differs completely from what you said.

League sponsorship is not the same as a TV deal. Every year there is a TV deal in place with Sky/BT or whoever in the past.  Overall sponsorship is a completely different matter. 

1 hour ago, CC52 FFC said:

1 hour ago, Bantabairn said:

I think your right on the money 

52 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Govts ok with rangers travelling to Belgium for a match with absolutely no quarantine when they come back but we aren't allowed to play fecking Clyde up the road. 

Definitely aged well, these 3.

22 minutes ago, virginton said:

We also can't believe our clubs still living rent free in your toaty wee head.