The Falkirk FC Thread

40 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

Won`t mean a lot to most on here I would think as I`m going back to late 60`s (when flair players weren`t frowned upon). These two are still two of the best players I`ve seen in a Falkirk jersey.

John "Tiger" McLaughlin & Johnny Graham.

Tiger&Johnny.jpg

Tiger coached me when I played for ICI in the 80’s. A really nice fella who taught me a lot about the game.

I think he’s still living in Grangemouth. A great guy.

2 hours ago, Senator Frimpton said:

I'm not a violent man, but eternity in the 7 circles of hell would be a picnic compared to 5 minutes with me and a staedtler noris HB for the pair of wankstains

Very strange choice of pencil, surely a 3H would be a better choice as it would stay sharp longer.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It very much depends on how you take Holt's statement. If you take it as an admission that he just isn't up to front line management and has done as best he can then it rings true as Martindale has taken them on further and Holt had taken them as far as he as an individual could. It would back up his  claims of a change in career direction.

Think that’s stretching it a bit - in his interview he said that a director of football role wasn’t something he had thought about and this may have come a bit early but...... Clearly he was shown the door by Livi after a really bad run of form had seen them become relegation candidates. Let’s hope he succeeds in his new role but we now have two managers and a director of football to pay for in league 1 - none of whom have a history of success =madness!

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Great picture.

Are these two still about?

Wee Tiger still attends most home games (or used to). Best LB in my time IMO.  Sadly the great Johnny Graham passed a year or two ago.  Fantastic player for Falkirk. 

18 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

Think that’s stretching it a bit - in his interview he said that a director of football role wasn’t something he had thought about and this may have come a bit early but...... Clearly he was shown the door by Livi after a really bad run of form had seen them become relegation candidates. Let’s hope he succeeds in his new role but we now have two managers and a director of football to pay for in league 1 - none of whom have a history of success =madness!

I doubt the two managers will be on much. Two rookies who have already made their money in the game and see this as a first step on the ladder. Probably similar wage for the two of them that McKinnon was on himself.

12 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Don’t rate him one bit

He’s never been a DoF before and hasn’t been in the job long enough to actually do anything yet so I’m intrigued to hear what is it you don’t rate?

Have you decided he’s not a good DoF based on your opinion of him as a manager? Or do you just not like him so have decided he’s no good at the job based on that? Either way is a bit strange for me.

He’s never been a DoF before and hasn’t been in the job long enough to actually do anything yet so I’m intrigued to hear what is it you don’t rate?
Have you decided he’s not a good DoF based on your opinion of him as a manager? Or do you just not like him so have decided he’s no good at the job based on that? Either way is a bit strange for me.

I don’t think we should have one when we have two managers or shall we say certainly not a paid position and certainly not in Division 3. It is more of OUR money being wasted.

I thought he was a chronic manager and blew the best chance we had of going up so why anyone thinks he will make a good DOF is beyond me. Done nothing since leaving us and the way Livingston are performing it seems clear to me that the rumours Martindale has run things for years are ringing true.

All about opinion of course. If he does well and coaches our managers into getting us playing a great brand of football and winning matches then fair play to him and I will hold my hands up and admit I was wrong.

Can only think back to the ludicrous appointment of Eddie May. Forced into management when he publicly stated he didn’t want the job. With Holt no reason to doubt his decision to try a different role. 
Nothing wrong with wanting a change, and for me still think he’ll be good for us.

I get you are behind most things the club does but on what basis. other than a gut feeling, do you think Holt will be a success ?

I get you are behind most things the club does but on what basis. other than a gut feeling, do you think Holt will be a success ?

Whatever happened to getting behind new appointments at the club and giving them a chance before getting the inevitable sword out?....

21 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Not sure there's many dofs out there where you would say they are a sure hit to be successful.

How many other clubs out there have a separate board from the main owners , a director of football , a stadium with double the number of seats they need two managers  20 full time players  no a decent right back 5000 patient fans and all this despite not having a victory against another full time team this season ! 

Edited by Stainrod
Expand post

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

The one and only John Markie of course, although I've no idea who the guy wearing the jumper is. Maybe he's a 60's Bairn?

Billy Fulton...

Just dawned on me what you meant...I`m old but not that old!!😂

Edited by 60`s bairn

Most appointments in football come with risks, and let’s face it we’ve been subject to many imposters/disasters who were seen by many as good catches for the club, including the horrific appointments of GC & Lang. Add on the disastrous managers namely Gypsy & RM, and here we are third tier of Scottish football. 

We’ve got a new chairman and a new look board, and a new investment of nearly 350K. Although early doors, there’s a positive change in attitude and it’s pleasing to hear our chairman speaking out against the authorities for the scandalous way we and many clubs have been treated. 
Holts role/JD will hopefully see the club better in many practices, initially helping our rookie managers ( guessing this will be already be under review) and delivering the title. Player recruitment will hopefully be better as for me it’s some of the players shouldn’t be near us. 
Academy, not sure how we go about rebuilding but Holt has been with one of the best academy’s so it must be a positive. Yes it’s a gamble but.....

Outside Rawlins and his investment the last 18 months since relegation have been pretty much riddled with more failure. Unable to beat FT teams, no progress in cups, still no youth development and we are still majority owned by the people who took us down the tubes.

Hopefully Rawlins will start to get his hands dirty and we see his influence coming through.

The new Board are all good Falkirk people however all of them have similar skill sets to GD. Rawlins abs his wife with have to bring real grown up commercial drive.

Not sure howling at the SPFL is going to make us many friends. I just wish we would start doing our taking on the pitch. We have had 11 years of blah blah blah now and look where it has got us.

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

I don’t think we should have one when we have two managers or shall we say certainly not a paid position and certainly not in Division 3. It is more of OUR money being wasted.

I thought he was a chronic manager and blew the best chance we had of going up so why anyone thinks he will make a good DOF is beyond me. Done nothing since leaving us and the way Livingston are performing it seems clear to me that the rumours Martindale has run things for years are ringing true.

All about opinion of course. If he does well and coaches our managers into getting us playing a great brand of football and winning matches then fair play to him and I will hold my hands up and admit I was wrong.

Maybe people think he’ll be a good DoF due to the fact he was very highly regarded in his role with the Norwich academy which is a big part of his role with us.

Hes “done nothing since leaving us” except work in the English Championship, take Livi to 9th and 5th in the Premier League and get shortlisted for manager of the year. Meanwhile we...never mind, we all know what we’ve done.

Is it “all about opinions” or should we use the facts that are available to us which suggest he doesn’t deserve to be written off before he’s even done a days work.

He may well be shit, he might also do ok but to write him off at this stage seems bizarre to me.