The Falkirk FC Thread

What were the buildings behind the main stand?

The dark building running along the hedge line, nearest the Astro turf was the changing rooms for the training pitch. Mind you used to go down set of stairs to pitch level.
The building to the left running along the hedge boundary was a two story portakabin that was used as offices on the top floor and club shop on ground level.
The larger white building in front of the changing rooms I presume was more portkabins which I’m sure were put there just before the closure of the stadium. Possibly as temp offices?

Someone (I'm pretty sure it was Captain Sensible) did a mockup where you if rotated your pitch by 45˚ and moved it towards the training pitch behind the stand that would have provided enough of a footprint to build a 10k all seater.

There’s not a chance in hell that they could have fitted a 10,000 seater stadium in a plot the size of Brockville. The footprint would have been much larger for a new stadium. Plus planning for parking etc wouldn’t have passed.

Always good to see pics of the old dear, and that one is a beaut; but it got me thinking back to the times that fans would change ends at half-time, crossing via that wee wooden bridge next to the choir. Bizzare!!  Seriously, did we do that at any other grounds?   Greenock,  maybe?? The old Rugby Park?  Certainly don't ever remember doing changing ends at EEP. 

Edited by Dennistoun Bairn

42 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Always good to see pics of the old dear, and that one is a beaut; but it got me thinking back to the times that fans would change ends at half-time, crossing via that wee wooden bridge next to the choir. Bizzare!!  Seriously, did we do that at any other grounds?   Greenock,  maybe?? The old Rugby Park?  Certainly don't ever remember doing changing ends at EEP. 

It was a regular occurrence at most grounds (outside of Ibrox and Parkhead) in the 60`s to see a mass migration from behind one goal up to the other at half time. 

10 hours ago, realmadrid said:

Its long gone now but its a pity they could not have done what Bournemouth did in the 1980s and turn the pitch 90 degree and rebuild.

They would probably have needed to do a Liverpool and take out some of the homes behind the away end.

What were the buildings behind the main stand?

They did look at that but was never going to be feasible where would you get the multi million pounds to do it anyway? The thing that caused the most issues was the fact we had to pay back all our debt in those days when we went into provisional liquidation. That meant  a fair chunk of the cash from the sale of brockville went to paying that off. These days we'd just pay a few pennies in the pound and move on. We'd have had more money to stick into TFS and far more control over the project. Because of that we've had to let the clowns at the council take the front seat which is why we have a ridiculous big main stand and no stand facing it.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

12 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

9 assists for Dundee United in the league last season in their title winning season. Still only 24 as well, I think he's like the majority of wingers in that he's very much hot and cold. I think it's a decent signing, he's rapid and he definitely can beat a man.

Headless chicken if you ask me. Was never impressed with him against us much. Get fired into him and he didn't want to know. 

Dundee strengthening their title challenge for next season. Not sure it's a good model though,  chucking every penny at players, whilst haemorrhaging cash being stuck in championship, no fans and having to ask staff to take pay cuts etc earlier in the season. I wouldn't be surprised if they break out with the administration bucket if they don't go up and soon. 

34 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

They did look at that but was never going to be feasible where would you get the multi million pounds to do it anyway? The thing that caused the most issues was the fact we had to pay back all our debt in those days when we went into provisional liquidation. That meant  a fair chunk of the cash from the sale of brockville went to paying that off. These days we'd just pay a few pennies in the pound and move on. We'd have had more money to stick into TFS and far more control over the project. Because of that we've had to let the clowns at the council take the front seat which is why we have a ridiculous big main stand and no stand facing it.

I wish you'd mentioned some of this before.

13 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I don't care what happens to McMullen one way or the other, but Alex Harris played in the top tier, then the second, then the 4th. I think his problem is the mental side of the game.

And the fact he's an absolute shite bag. 

4 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

They're not interested in anyone below the championship. Their blatant disregard for the plans put forward by league one and two clubs emphasised that.  Spending their time agreeing new loan deals for the top flight who get to play every week whilst doing absolutely nothing for leagues one and two.

Edited by Shadwell Dog