The Falkirk FC Thread

There's no denying Livi have done brilliantly on the pitch, I'd be first to hold my hands up and if I could be arsed dig out some comments I made when they were first promoted, along the lines of 'they will be straight back down' 'be lucky to win a game' etc etc. Yet without having any superstars, a large fan base and budget (cos that's what wins games apparently) , what they are achieving on the park is outstanding. 

1 hour ago, Bantabairn said:

Against my better judgment, hate to say but cont disagree with your post.

Who having seen Lyndon dykes play on numerous occasions in the championship would've ever thought he'd be Scotland's number one striker and get sold for 1.5 million quid. Fantastic bit of business and is probably what's keeping them afloat currently.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

4 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

How does getting beat 1-0 off of that Rangers team the way they are playing show how bad a manager he is? Enlighten me please.

Well Hibs have a very strong team at the moment and are going to struggle to stay in the top 4. Any decent manager with those players could pressurise Celtic for 2nd this season. The Hibs fans are dissatisfied with him to say the least. 

On 26/01/2021 at 16:34, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Always liked this one of old Brockville

142813017_3778532522193315_8481731862173

Couldn't really be more different from the new stadium

2144974694_ScreenShot2021-01-26at15_52_28.thumb.jpg.723dce2937800aeaf1928b7d89ccb723.jpg

Great pics!  I still wish we'd never left Brockville and the town centre but we never really had an option at the time.  Funny to think the initial planning for TFS was for 15,000 seats!  I'm guessing Brockville could have only accommodated around 6,000 if redevelopment and funding were possible... 

TFS is starting to feel a bit more central with the surrounding areas being built up but we need the East side developed eventually as it just sucks the life out of the place. 

Great pics!  I still wish we'd never left Brockville and the town centre but we never really had an option at the time.  Funny to think the initial planning for TFS was for 15,000 seats!  I'm guessing Brockville could have only accommodated around 6,000 if redevelopment and funding were possible... 
TFS is starting to feel a bit more central with the surrounding areas being built up but we need the East side developed eventually as it just sucks the life out of the place. 

It does indeed suck the life/atmosphere out of it, but even the original design did much if that. The stands are too far from the pitch (to satisfy some UEFA nonsense I believe).
A mini-Tynecastle would have been the best outcome, but that main stand (impressive as it is) feels like something of a vanity project.
Whatever happens on that east side, it has to be better than the vast expanse of nothingness that sits there currently.

4 hours ago, MS RR said:

Well Hibs have a very strong team at the moment and are going to struggle to stay in the top 4. Any decent manager with those players could pressurise Celtic for 2nd this season. The Hibs fans are dissatisfied with him to say the least. 

Absolutely nothing in that statement answers my question. They were actually not too bad last night and were very unlucky that Morelos' stamp wasn't seen as then it would have been a completely different game. One of only 3 team's to take points off of Rangers in the league this season.  They are in a bit of bad form just now but doesn't every manager go through a spell like that regardless of how 'very strong' their team is. 

Any decent manager with a budget our size would have got their team out of the Scottish Championship and he didn't have a problem doing that with a young St Mirren team. Saved them from relegation in season one and won the title with them in season two along with the PFA Scotland Manager of the year.

4 hours ago, MS RR said:

I'd have him as our manager all day long. In fact I think Brian Rice would do a decent job too. There's a few  managers out of work that would be an improvement on the current pair, Robinson, Kettlewell, Wright, Hopkin, realistically Hopkin is about the only one that would come to us. But we'll wait till the car crash finally happens and fling Holt in to steady the ship. 

31 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Absolutely nothing in that statement answers my question. They were actually not too bad last night and were very unlucky that Morelos' stamp wasn't seen as then it would have been a completely different game. One of only 3 team's to take points off of Rangers in the league this season.  They are in a bit of bad form just now but doesn't every manager go through a spell like that regardless of how 'very strong' their team is. 

Any decent manager with a budget our size would have got their team out of the Scottish Championship and he didn't have a problem doing that with a young St Mirren team. Saved them from relegation in season one and won the title with them in season two along with the PFA Scotland Manager of the year.

Well I'm confident enough to say he'll be sacked fairly soon from Hibs, he's not a good manager. He won the league with St Mirren because Falkirk and Dundee utd, who were both favourites, were shockingly bad that season, he had no competition and capitalised on it, he's been living off that season ever since. Look at the disaster he had at Sunderland, he had a massive financial advantage over every other team and failed to get them promoted. It was also evident at Sunderland that he sets teams up to not lose, you can't be doing that if you're going for promotion. He was found out at Sunderland and he's emulating his failures at Hibs. 

I'm not sure how up to date you are with Scottish football but Hibs have some brilliant players at the moment. There's no excuse for Hibs not to be more competitive. A better coach could get a lot more out of those players. 

Edited by MS RR

30 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Dundee certainly splashing their 500k grant

And the cash they've saved by getting their players to take pay cuts. Cummings always did well at championship level.  That no neck diddy McMullan ain't up to much. I always mind when Peter grant smacked him about a couple of times and he couldn't get off the pitch fast enough.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

And the cash they've saved by getting their players to take pay cuts. Cummings always did well at championship level.  That no neck diddy McMullan ain't up to much. I always mind when Peter grant smacked him about a couple of times and he couldn't get off the pitch fast enough.

9 assists for Dundee United in the league last season in their title winning season. Still only 24 as well, I think he's like the majority of wingers in that he's very much hot and cold. I think it's a decent signing, he's rapid and he definitely can beat a man.

6 hours ago, Bula Bairn said:

I honestly think that, even if something half decent was put on the East side, it would not create a warm feeling about the place, at least for a generation of fans. We’ve been stuck with this lop-sided “vanity project” for so long now that it ever being  deemed a special place seems a bit contrived.

Call me sentimental but I thought when you moved to a new stadium, it’s with the intention of having a finished look. Like a St Mirren or bloody Livi!

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

Sadly, we had a rank rotten manager who also managed to get us out of the Championship.......and he only needed one go at it.

On 26/01/2021 at 16:34, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Always liked this one of old Brockville

142813017_3778532522193315_8481731862173

Its long gone now but its a pity they could not have done what Bournemouth did in the 1980s and turn the pitch 90 degree and rebuild.

They would probably have needed to do a Liverpool and take out some of the homes behind the away end.

What were the buildings behind the main stand?

2 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

Its long gone now but its a pity they could not have done what Bournemouth did in the 1980s and turn the pitch 90 degree and rebuild.

Someone (I'm pretty sure it was Captain Sensible) did a mockup where you if rotated your pitch by 45˚ and moved it towards the training pitch behind the stand that would have provided enough of a footprint to build a 10k all seater.