The Falkirk FC Thread

3 hours ago, badgerthewitness said:

I'm sure the section to the right was redeveloped in the mid/late 1980s (you can tell by the different brickwork). Cant remember what was there before, possibly an earth mound & more primitive steps. The yellow paint & railings were added later, possibly as a post-Hillsborough safety measure. 

I recall the fanzine at the time slaughtered the club for spending transfer money on the new wall & toilets instead of strengthening the team.

My memory is a bit hazy but hopefully others can add a more detailed timeline.

Would love to see more photos like this, really hits home how much we lost when we moved.

Yep I remember that too.

It was the Roddy Manley Toilets wasn't it? The £250k we got for him.

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Rushing to appoint M&M was another

It's obviously clear you don't like the current management, but you know fine well this is bullshit. We had to get rid of McKinnon ASAP, we also needed someone to manage the team once he was gone. M & M were brought in as a stop gap, but then after some time were given the oppertunity to be permanent. Nothing rushed there, and probably deserved the chance given we were on course to win the league. 

6 hours ago, badgerthewitness said:

I'm sure the section to the right was redeveloped in the mid/late 1980s (you can tell by the different brickwork). Cant remember what was there before, possibly an earth mound & more primitive steps. The yellow paint & railings were added later, possibly as a post-Hillsborough safety measure. 

I recall the fanzine at the time slaughtered the club for spending transfer money on the new wall & toilets instead of strengthening the team.

My memory is a bit hazy but hopefully others can add a more detailed timeline.

Would love to see more photos like this, really hits home how much we lost when we moved.

It's the perimeter wall so there wouldn't have been anything different there before, it'll just have been repaired. The toilets are indeed the 'Roddy Manley Toilets' and would have been built early 90's.

I climbed those stairs at most home games rather than going round the front.

It's obviously clear you don't like the current management, but you know fine well this is bullshit. We had to get rid of McKinnon ASAP, we also needed someone to manage the team once he was gone. M & M were brought in as a stop gap, but then after some time were given the oppertunity to be permanent. Nothing rushed there, and probably deserved the chance given we were on course to win the league. 

I know fine well it is not bullshit. They were in the door 5 minutes and badgering for the job on a full time basis. They should have had much longer on the “prove you can do the job” train

6a00d8341c5d3b53ef01b8d2521375970c-600wi.jpg.ab0f83d11becce26026d939f681f714e.jpg   

Its the best photo I can track down, so not at all clear I'm afraid; but like SG, once through the Hope St turnstiles it always seemed natural to walk towards the choir then turn up the terracing to your regular spot, rather than head up the stairs.  Maybe the reason Ned can't remember the stairs is that a lot of fans tended to head down towards the bottom corner of the terracing - facing the house gable- before the final whistle, then dash out sharpish to get back to the best seats in the pub... So you could quite easily be stood on the terracing all those years and never use the stairs.   

22 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

6a00d8341c5d3b53ef01b8d2521375970c-600wi.jpg.ab0f83d11becce26026d939f681f714e.jpg   

Its the best photo I can track down, so not at all clear I'm afraid; but like SG, once through the Hope St turnstiles it always seemed natural to walk towards the choir then turn up the terracing to your regular spot, rather than head up the stairs.  Maybe the reason Ned can't remember the stairs is that a lot of fans tended to head down towards the bottom corner of the terracing - facing the house gable- before the final whistle, then dash out sharpish to get back to the best seats in the pub... So you could quite easily be stood on the terracing all those years and never use the stairs.   

Some other angles of the old dear

Brockville_DSC02893.jpg

EXq_ojkXkAAbFUU.jpg

Brockville1 2.jpg

3 hours ago, Believe The Hype said:

They were only in charge for 3 games before getting it extended to the end of the season. Far too soon if you ask me.Even so any further extension should've been on us winning promotion. Due to poor January recruitment which resulted in far too many draws we missed out and that should've been them on their way. However as usual we don't learn from past mistakes and having kept Pressley on after his awful attempt at keeping us up and then McKinnon after the same we kept this pair on.

I see the scumbag drug dealer got passed anyway . No.surprise after the media pressure.  Sad that you can ruin so many people's spend a couple of years in jail and then run a professional football team.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

I don't know why but I thought M & M had been offered after Christmas, didn't realise it was so soon, so apologies yous are probaby right, 3 games is a short time. Had the season finished as intended however, I do believe we would have been promoted. It wasn't though so all very much if my auntie had baws. 

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

They were only in charge for 3 games before getting it extended to the end of the season. Far too soon if you ask me.Even so any further extension should've been on us winning promotion. Due to poor January recruitment which resulted in far too many draws we missed out and that should've been them on their way. However as usual we don't learn from past mistakes and having kept Pressley on after his awful attempt at keeping us up and then McKinnon after the same we kept this pair on.

I see the scumbag drug dealer got passed anyway . No.surprise after the media pressure.  Sad that you can ruin so many people's spend a couple of years in jail and then run a professional football team.

Aye, and 3 games ago we were what, 6 points clear? The BOD should have seen this slump coming and acted then. Shocking lack of insight!

14 hours ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Judging by the cars in the car park in the background I would say the photo was taken late 90's or early 2000's, towards the end of the life of Brockville.  You can also tell by the yellow "safety" marks on the steps that the photo couldn't be much older as health & safety wasn't really a thing much earlier. I went to live in England in the 80's so most of my memories of Brockville are from the late 60's to early 80's and I can't remember those stairs.
FB_IMG_1611607983636.jpg

The photograph is from summer 2003 after the club had played the final match there, it's in the council archives at Callendar House. 

Another showing the staircase mentioned, and much of the surrounding area: 

Brockville.jpg

Aye, and 3 games ago we were what, 6 points clear? The BOD should have seen this slump coming and acted then. Shocking lack of insight!

Conveniently forgetting also, of course, that just a few weeks earlier we were 4 points behind so had gained 10 points on our rivals just before the slump...

For those who over the last wee while have been talking about how we should have had John Hughes back. Have a read of this. 

Ross County boss John Hughes expects to sign striker Jordan White from Motherwell and will also add Blackburn keeper Joe Hilton for the rest of the season. (Sun)

Add to the fact he signed a 17 year old centre back from Celtic and put him straight into the starting line up to get pumped off Rangers at Ibrox on Saturday. Now I hope the boy from Celtic goes on and does well, as there should be more youth players getting a chance in Scottish football but anyone with a brain knows there's a time and place to bleed youngsters into the first team especially for their debut and Ibrox last Saturday was certainly not that. 

I get the blind faith in that he done exceptionally well with us in his time as manager(excluding the absolute mess of a last season and the resultant shitshow we were left in) but surely to god you can see how backwards he's went since then? 

Now i'm going to tackle this here and now before it gets muddied. I'm aware Pressley signed Jordan White  but that was as a 19 year old where he could have possibly developed into a player. This is 9 years on when it's very much confirmed he's a horrendous footballer.

Edited by FFC 1876

2 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Conveniently forgetting also, of course, that just a few weeks earlier we were 4 points behind so had gained 10 points on our rivals just before the slump...

Quite. I can't think why even the biggest critics of the managers would think it a good idea to sack them at this point in time? There are a couple of posters that seem to have appeared fairly recently who I think are maybe trolling and there are always the one or two that would moan the tits off folk no matter the situation of course! 

21 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

This picture turned up on Facebook and has confused the utter f'ck out of me

Was there a set of stairs at the back of the Hope Steet end?

I stood on that terrace for about 20 years and don't remember seeing them!

FB_IMG_1611607983636.jpg

i used to flick a little pebble off the roof to the right leaving every game. thinking that i would eventually get through them all and wondering if they kept landing on the same blokes head everytime.

Quite. I can't think why even the biggest critics of the managers would think it a good idea to sack them at this point in time? There are a couple of posters that seem to have appeared fairly recently who I think are maybe trolling and there are always the one or two that would moan the tits off folk no matter the situation of course! 

I genuinely think we are sleep walking into a disaster with this buggers muddle of a set up.

Let’s not kidd ourselves on Holt is some sort of Scottish Pep. He was the front man for Martindale at Livingston and their success has mainly been down to him, most in the game acknowledge that.

Having said that I think I could have understood had the Board brought Holt in as boss and offered M&M an assistant and coach roles.

Despite what Holt said in his interview about M&M being fully onside with this and he had moved on from being a manager I am far from convinced. I also am not convinced the Board are as convinced with them as they said they were at the EGM.

If I were M&M I would be looking over my shoulder. On the day before a large new investor put nearly 400k they get a new boss in Holt. This has change all over it IMO which will happen if results and performances don’t improve immediately, when and if games restart.

7 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

It's the perimeter wall so there wouldn't have been anything different there before, it'll just have been repaired. The toilets are indeed the 'Roddy Manley Toilets' and would have been built early 90's.

I climbed those stairs at most home games rather than going round the front.

John Gallacher Toilets & the Roddy Manley Wall.

When you think back to the wall situation, ultimately, it's what caused the closure of half the Watson Street end. As it eventually required replacing too & it was easier & cheaper just to close that section.

Edited by kiddy

9 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I genuinely think we are sleep walking into a disaster with this buggers muddle of a set up.

Let’s not kidd ourselves on Holt is some sort of Scottish Pep. He was the front man for Martindale at Livingston and their success has mainly been down to him, most in the game acknowledge that.

Having said that I think I could have understood had the Board brought Holt in as boss and offered M&M an assistant and coach roles.

Despite what Holt said in his interview about M&M being fully onside with this and he had moved on from being a manager I am far from convinced. I also am not convinced the Board are as convinced with them as they said they were at the EGM.

If I were M&M I would be looking over my shoulder. On the day before a large new investor put nearly 400k they get a new boss in Holt. This has change all over it IMO which will happen if results and performances don’t improve immediately, when and if games restart.

I would be a happy man if M&M were to turn the slump around and lead us to the Championship but I really would not be surprised if we end the season with Holt in the Manager’s chair and us in the playoffs.