The Falkirk FC Thread

Any appointment is a gamble - there is never guaranteed success when you appoint a new manager and so to an extent the board have an impossible job. 

If you go back to when we appointed Hartley a large % backed him because his record was good (despite him being an odious wee rat).  When McKinnon was appointed it was the same positive reaction from most fans. Likewise when M&M came in. 

I happen to think we've got it right going for younger managers (Jeffries, Hughes, McCall all still learning when they came to us) and letting them develop.  Obviously there needs to be some limit on the time they get.

Who was the last 'experienced' manager we've had who has been a success?  Even Totten failed to get our out of the 2nd tier and when both he and Houston left we were in a right state.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Any appointment is a gamble - there is never guaranteed success when you appoint a new manager and so to an extent the board have an impossible job. 

If you go back to when we appointed Hartley a large % backed him because his record was good (despite him being an odious wee rat).  When McKinnon was appointed it was the same positive reaction from most fans. Likewise when M&M came in. 

I happen to think we've got it right going for younger managers (Jeffries, Hughes, McCall all still learning when they came to us) and letting them develop.  Obviously there needs to be some limit on the time they get.

Who was the last 'experienced' manager we've had who has been a success?  Even Totten failed to get our out of the 2nd tier and when both he and Houston left we were in a right state.  

TBF Totten had the rug pulled from him, getting rid of a full squad and been told to play the kids and add month to month contracts and some 3 month contracts throughout the season.

Houston has been the plus point in the last 10 or so years but as you pointed out, we have prove hiring a manager is very much rolling a dice.

The clubs in Scotland tend to hire within or recent ex players, some sink and some linger around lower league forever

Some glory hunter me. Started following Falkirk late 2009 and it's been a decade of dismal failure ever since. 

However - there have been some incredible moments :)

Bouncing around with the lads in the SS with one shoe in the air against Rangers :lol:

The metallic crack of McHugh's winner against Hibs in the play-offs :)

The roar I was part of when Grant's header went in at Hampden :):)

3 or 4 others but those 3 in particular sorta make all the shite, all the incompetence, all the awful days worthwhile. 

Tell me that I'll have 3 of those moments in the next ten years and I might well take it. 

7 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Some glory hunter me. Started following Falkirk late 2009 and it's been a decade of dismal failure ever since. 

However - there have been some incredible moments :)

Bouncing around with the lads in the SS with one shoe in the air against Rangers :lol:

The metallic crack of McHugh's winner against Hibs in the play-offs :)

The roar I was part of when Grant's header went in at Hampden :):)

3 or 4 others but those 3 in particular sorta make all the shite, all the incompetence, all the awful days worthwhile. 

Tell me that I'll have 3 of those moments in the next ten years and I might well take it. 

So not really ‘dismal failure’ then?

Failure? I’ll give you that....

Those "moments" make all the shite worthwhile, they stay with you all your life.
Maybe if McCracken had done his job in the middle of the park, or McDonald hadnt meekly palmed the ball neatly into the path of an onrushing James Vincent I'd be inclined to agree with the first sentence. If we had won that cup it would still keep me a wee bit warm now I'm sure.

Let's not do this though. [emoji53]

3 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Those 3 were all young managers on the way up  Of those 3 only Hughes had no experience and that showed big time in his first season in charge at stenny. The other two had cut their teeth elsewhere successfully and we were their next step on the ladder. Since then we've either had complete rookies or experienced managers coming off failure. That's why I'd go for someone like Petrie or young. As they are in a similar situation as Jeffries and McCall were when we picked them up. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

10 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

If earlier posts are correct, Petrie has a decent day job, and therefore unlikely to give up the security to join, Young not quite sure about, but unless we have a queue of correct people looking to manage us, and in the event of our current managers failing why not. 

In Petrie's case if you don't ask you'll never find out.  He may say no but I certainly wouldn't let rumour and hearsay on a message board put me off.

In Petrie's case if you don't ask you'll never find out.  He may say no but I certainly wouldn't let rumour and hearsay on a message board put me off.
Tend to find the people saying he is definitely not looking to go FT are those who don't want him to.

Get him asked.

On 24/01/2021 at 16:59, Back Post Misses said:

You seem fixated with the “no one would take the Falkirk job line” to justify this crazy set up we have. I will say it again. When the Falkirk job becomes available there would be 50+ interested no matter how much turbulence is going on behind the scenes

Last time we advertised the managers job and received 50+ applications we gave the job to somebody who wanted the job so badly he never even applied

We'll be stuck with M&M till the wheels completely fall of the bus ( and they are loose) and/or we fail to win in our next three or four league games. Deans seems  to think unlike most of us that they are the best thing since sliced bread. I'd be amazed if Holt isn't tasked with being in the dugout even on an interim basis before season ends if the league isn't called or null n void. 

27 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

We'll be stuck with M&M till the wheels completely fall of the bus ( and they are loose) and/or we fail to win in our next three or four league games. Deans seems  to think unlike most of us that they are the best thing since sliced bread. I'd be amazed if Holt isn't tasked with being in the dugout even on an interim basis before season ends if the league isn't called or null n void. 

I think that says quite a lot about how much we can trust Deans as a chairman, he really does think M&M are great. I'd rather put Holt in as manager from now on and keep M&M as coaches. 

I think that says quite a lot about how much we can trust Deans as a chairman, he really does think M&M are great. I'd rather put Holt in as manager from now on and keep M&M as coaches. 

Do you just make things up? Where do you get your information from?
I don’t get this expectation that we have a management team in place but the board should not back them whilst in the post and we are top....

Do you just make things up? Where do you get your information from?
I don’t get this expectation that we have a management team in place but the board should not back them whilst in the post and we are top....

Have you actually watched the dross they have served up in the last 15 months?

Have you actually watched the dross they have served up in the last 15 months?

Yes. I’ve also watched even worse dross in previous seasons too under experienced managers....
I don’t think you have read what my view is. There are justified concerns but we need to see whether it continues or otherwise. Particularly now we also have Holt on board...

Yes. I’ve also watched even worse dross in previous seasons too under experienced managers....
I don’t think you have read what my view is. There are justified concerns but we need to see whether it continues or otherwise. Particularly now we also have Holt on board...

In other words

“It is dross just not as dross” what an outlook. Talk about being content with mediocrity