The Falkirk FC Thread

7 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Thanks for that.

I might be wrong but I think some of the funds  raised were for Sammy Conn who was gravely ill.

Correct me if this is rubbish.

I'm sure you will be right given their connections and the horrible disease Sammy sadly passed away from. Still heartbreaking to think about. 

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

We've changed a fair bit of our squad to be fair. 5 of our starting 11 today weren't at the club last season. 

I wouldn't expect Miller and Mcracken to recruit as well as Mcglynn has. 

Mcglynn has always been a manager that does really well in the loan market. It'll be interesting to see how Kai Kennedy gets on at you lot. The full midfield are all youngsters full of energy which is most likely why they are performing well this season. 

4 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

If we can’t win the league with a 2 point start out of those fixtures then we deserve to still be in league 1

Completely agree, I just hope the break has done us a favour in terms of those who had a bit of momentum will have hopefully lost it. 

Its probably just about fair enough to say you cant sack them at the top of the league. I'll say this though, those two absolutely cannot be trusted to chase down a deficit, nowhere near bold enough. Keeping them on in a tight lead is a gamble, but not emptying them if we slip off the top and seeking a new manager bounce/someone who will go hammer and tongs to reclaim top spot in a literal sprint finish would be a disaster.

7 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Its probably just about fair enough to say you cant sack them at the top of the league. I'll say this though, those two absolutely cannot be trusted to chase down a deficit, nowhere near bold enough. Keeping them on in a tight lead is a gamble, but not emptying them if we slip off the top and seeking a new manager bounce/someone who will go hammer and tongs to reclaim top spot in a literal sprint finish would be a disaster.

This in a nutshell, folk really are thick as shite sometimes. Anyone having a go at the board for the current management still being in charge or even supporting them have just ignored all logic. Is the football shite? 100 times yes, could recruitment have been better, not entirely sure, some really good signings when announced, some just not turned out the way we wanted, top of the league? Yes. And on paper, which is all that matters to the number crunchers, is what decisions will and probably should be made on, whether the entertainment on show is woeful or not. 

Steps are in place to sort this side of things, and at the first showing of zero improvement, trust me, I will be calling for change as much as anyone else. 

This in a nutshell, folk really are thick as shite sometimes. Anyone having a go at the board for the current management still being in charge or even supporting them have just ignored all logic. Is the football shite? 100 times yes, could recruitment have been better, not entirely sure, some really good signings when announced, some just not turned out the way we wanted, top of the league? Yes. And on paper, which is all that matters to the number crunchers, is what decisions will and probably should be made on, whether the entertainment on show is woeful or not. 
Steps are in place to sort this side of things, and at the first showing of zero improvement, trust me, I will be calling for change as much as anyone else. 

Why does it defy logic?

The whole case you lay out points to you wanting them out too.

Football shite [emoji736]
Mixed bag of signings [emoji736]
Woeful entertainment [emoji736]

You are making a great case to keep them

26 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Why does it defy logic?

Football shite emoji736.png
Mixed bag of signings emoji736.png
Woeful entertainment emoji736.png

Since Rangers won the league in 2013/14, every team that has won it with managers with previous experience of managing in Scottish Football. Duffy, Johnstone, Hopkin, McCall, Campbell, McGlynn - now none of them are great managers but have track records at the lower levels of Scottish football.

I wonder why our board decided to go against the tried and tested and go with 2 rookies ??

Since Rangers won the league in 2013/14, every team that has won it with managers with previous experience of managing in Scottish Football. Duffy, Johnstone, Hopkin, McCall, Campbell, McGlynn - now none of them are great managers but have track records at the lower levels of Scottish football.
I wonder why our board decided to go against the tried and tested and go with 2 rookies ??

TBF Only two of the current board were on there when they were appointed. GD and KK. The approach to M&M was made by AT and LM - it was their idea.

30 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Why does it defy logic?

Football shite emoji736.png
Mixed bag of signings emoji736.png
Woeful entertainment emoji736.png

Very simple and I thought that was made clear in my previous post. They have the team sitting top of the league. Shite or not, they are fulfilling their remit. You can't sack them if they are doing what is required so far. 

Very simple and I thought that was made clear in my previous post. They have the team sitting top of the league. Shite or not, they are fulfilling their remit. You can't sack them if they are doing what is required so far. 

No we have decided to bring in a DOF to coach them as they clearly don’t think they are up to it without that

7 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

No we have decided to bring in a DOF to coach them as they clearly don’t think they are up to it without that

Exactly, which is the correct and logical move from the board. Things are slipping, but as things stand they are still the most successful team in the league having accrued more points than anyone else, you are a business man I'm led to believe and have your own company, if someone was doing there job and fulling their targets set you wouldn't sack them because they are achieving what was set out to them but in a way you would prefer not to. Help has been brought in because its evident that the way things are going they will need it, rather than sacking them whilst on top or waiting for failure. 

42 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

TBF Only two of the current board were on there when they were appointed. GD and KK. The approach to M&M was made by AT and LM - it was their idea.

Let’s appoint a management team to take the heat off ourselves.  Not based on their skill sets, experience or networking in recruitment.   Sounds a great idea. 🙄

Edited by Latapy is god

8 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Of course, probably the best experienced manager in the league on paper is Ian McCall, managing a full time team along similar budget lines.
How’s that going so far?…

There are no guarantees change will improve things overnight.

They have had a shit load of injuries and McCall has admitted it’s the worst injury problem he has faced in his career,

5 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Yes but arguably so do most teams, we’ve had our two top players Keena and Alston missing from action most of the season ( in Alstons case he’s been a huge disappointment) 

The club were warned about Alstons injury issues before they signed him but done it anyway.

It was the East Fife game that did it for me with M&M. They've had long enough to get their team on the pitch playing their way with their game plans.  What do we get? A defence that consistently, repeatedly loses goals to high balls pumped into the far post at set pieces. How many times have we seen that happen? As for attack - it's lump it up to the big man upfront and hope to live off the knockdowns and fouls - why not, it's what Miller's career was built on. But we don't have a target man who can head the ball or hold things up - and I don't think Keena's that kind of player.

They shat the bed against Raith at Starks last season and they did it again against Partick at home in December. The Partick game it was obvious they set up for a draw from the outset. 

I don't think M&M are a long term option unless there is substantial improvement to playing style and recruitment.  Holt may help with that side of things but M&M need to learn from him fast and above all we need results. 

I don't blame the board for backing them, what good would it have done to say otherwise at the EGM?  Sacking them while top of the league doesn't sit well with me but any course of action is a gamble.  "experienced managers" failed last twice for us and most of here would have been happy with McCall.  Say we do sack M&M, bring an experienced manager in and he loses the dressing room.  For me that's a bigger gamble than M&M getting over the line with Holts support.  

A bit disingenuous to say Holt appointment is simply to coach the managers. From whats been said his job is 100% not that (though you' clearly expect him to pass on his advice and set stretching targets for them).  

As has been said before joint managers are temporary , stop gap options to tide clubs over. They are never used as a long term plan but for some reason our bod think it's a great idea to buck the trend and base the future of the club around them.  The bod can sack them if they wish whether we are top or not. We have new investors on board no point in them injecting cash into the club if we have diddies running the team.