The Falkirk FC Thread

Even 4 years ago we were away to finish second in the Championship for the second consecutive year.
Absolutely terrifying what's happened to us, and I agree with those who date this entire thing back to when May was appointed.

Only because in the interim time the place has by and large not been run well. It shouldn’t have taken 11 years to get us moving again. That is a scandal IMO.

I take you back to 6 months into Gary Holt’s year in charge. We beat Dundee to go top. Didn’t strengthen the squad when it was a free hit. Hearts were coming down, Sevco were coming up failure that season automatically added 3 years to our stay on the Championship. Still infuriates me

1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

Only because in the interim time the place has by and large not been run well. It shouldn’t have taken 11 years to get us moving again. That is a scandal IMO.

I take you back to 6 months into Gary Holt’s year in charge. We beat Dundee to go top. Didn’t strengthen the squad when it was a free hit. Hearts were coming down, Sevco were coming up failure that season automatically added 3 years to our stay on the Championship. Still infuriates me

I said back then that our board didn't want us to get promoted. Too much hassle for them. They could have had nice games against Rangers, Hearts and Hibs without the added inconvenience of being an SPL side.

15 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I said back then that our board didn't want us to get promoted. Too much hassle for them. They could have had nice games against Rangers, Hearts and Hibs without the added inconvenience of being an SPL side.

This has been getting said over and over again and not just about falkirk. When we didn't go up after a few years in the early 80s it was said every year till we went up, is absolute rubbish. Playing devil's advocate here, if we went up with all the extra cash involved from tv, prize money etc and stayed up we'd have nice games v Celtic, Aberdeen plus even our board could see Rangers, hibs, hearts would be up in the top league pretty quickly so we could play them all in no time, so why wouldn't we want to go up?

This has been getting said over and over again and not just about falkirk. When we didn't go up after a few years in the early 80s it was said every year till we went up, is absolute rubbish. Playing devil's advocate here, if we went up with all the extra cash involved from tv, prize money etc and stayed up we'd have nice games v Celtic, Aberdeen plus even our board could see Rangers, hibs, hearts would be up in the top league pretty quickly so we could play them all in no time, so why wouldn't we want to go up?

I don’t believe it was the Boards fault that January. The manager at the time was offered cash and we got a LB when we had the best LB in the league and a 6’7” striker that took 2 months for the penny to drop.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

True, indeed. But not epoch defining compared to the 2009 catastrofuck. 

My girlfriend at the time (now wife) had only just started coming to the games with me. I mind us stopping Glasgow for dinner after the Killie game where we were relegated, her choice despite me being like a bear with a sore head. She thought we'd get promoted within a couple of seasons. I said if we don't come straight back up we'll be down here for years :(

44 minutes ago, Gaz said:

My girlfriend at the time (now wife) had only just started coming to the games with me. I mind us stopping Glasgow for dinner after the Killie game where we were relegated, her choice despite me being like a bear with a sore head. She thought we'd get promoted within a couple of seasons. I said if we don't come straight back up we'll be down here for years :(

The 9 year spell we were down from 96 to 05 seemed like an eternity.

So far we are 11 years and counting...

Just need to look at that result tonight to see where we are as a club.

Livingston made 7 changes from their starting 11 on Saturday that drew at Parkhead. Celtic have all their top players back and Livingston still get a result. They are now something like 9 games unbeaten all on a third of the supporter base we have.

It is going to be a long way back this road IMO

The 9 year spell we were down from 96 to 05 seemed like an eternity.
So far we are 11 years and counting...

The longest time in our history outside the top league in Scotland. You can add at least two years to that record now

7 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Livingston made 7 changes from their starting 11 on Saturday that drew at Parkhead. Celtic have all their top players back and Livingston still get a result. They are now something like 9 games unbeaten all on a third of the supporter base we have.

The amount of supporters a club has is irrelevant. It's down to how good a chairman you have, it's they who appoint the manager, who in turn signs the players.  in 17/18, you had more fans, more income, players on a higher wage than Livingston, but they had far better players.  Hence why both clubs are where they are now.  

Look at The Caley too, less fans that Falkirk, Thistle, Dunfermline, but since we joined the league in 1994, we've been more successful than all 3.

12 hours ago, Bula Bairn said:

All free transfers - O'Brien & McBride were only 27 when they signed! 

We still had one of the smallest budgets in the premier as well.

And all shite. Bob on 3k.a week. Bullen on another fortune and we never got a tune out of either of them. McCann and macnamara were finished and spent most of the time crocked. McBride was awful.It wouldn't have been so bad if we'd achieved top 6 but the fact that Hughes got lots more cash and yet the team went backwards was the big problem. The game plan had been working up to that point and then they decided to chuck that out the window. Crazy stuff.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

7 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

As has been said a million times it's all about recruitment.  Livi have for years now picked up good players from the lower leagues and the odd non league player and it's worked extremely well for them.  We on the other hand have signed one dud after another since the last year's of Hughes's era and we are paying for it. Until that improves nothing will change.  That's the only bonus about being shutdown the now. It prevents the current incumbents from signing any more diddies.

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

As has been said a million times it's all about recruitment.  Livi have for years now picked up good players from the lower leagues and the odd non league player and it's worked extremely well for them.  We on the other hand have signed one dud after another since the last year's of Hughes's era and we are paying for it. Until that improves nothing will change.  That's the only bonus about being shutdown the now. It prevents the current incumbents from signing any more diddies.

Yep, you could have 6,000 every game but it means fuck all if you sign shite players.

The amount of supporters a club has is irrelevant. It's down to how good a chairman you have, it's they who appoint the manager, who in turn signs the players.  in 17/18, you had more fans, more income, players on a higher wage than Livingston, but they had far better players.  Hence why both clubs are where they are now.  
Look at The Caley too, less fans that Falkirk, Thistle, Dunfermline, but since we joined the league in 1994, we've been more successful than all 3.

It isn’t if the club is managed well. Then the extra finance that brings in gives that club an advantage. It shows how poorly run some clubs with larger supports have been. the likes of Livingston, Hamilton and st.Johnstone have clearly been run much better

1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

It isn’t if the club is managed well. Then the extra finance that brings in gives that club an advantage. It shows how poorly run some clubs with larger supports have been. the likes of Livingston, Hamilton and st.Johnstone have clearly been run much better

That's exactly what I said.  You could sell out TFS every week while smaller clubs get 2,000 per home game, but if you don't have the right chairman and manager signing the right players, it means nothing.  

You can pay your players more money, but if they aren't as good as Livingston, Hamilton and St Johnstone players, you're goosed.