The Falkirk FC Thread

14 hours ago, Gaz said:

My opinion on Yogi has somewhat mellowed over the years, but I'd argue that's mostly due to him spunking the cash on his old, past-it mates. His final season was almost as bad as May's season, with the cup final papering over some massive cracks and survival achieved thanks to Michael Higdon's arse.

I watched the road to the cup final 09 last night and we were fortunate in every game bar the Dunfermline game, where we didn't really need to perform due to them being piss poor.

I personally would point more fingers at George Craig for signing off funds for signing the Dad's army.  Yogi doesn't escape blame but I can see what he tried to do but Bullen was done tho offered a 37yr old a 2/3 yr contract and McCann was injury prone and lost his biggest ingredient to his game pace.

I'd guess the dad's army cost more than 10k a week tbh, rumours were we couldn't afford to pay off Bullen. 

31 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

If I'd read this sentence 5 years ago I'd have assumed there was some major financial disaster which had befallen the club and we'd had to form a phoenix team

Even 4 years ago we were away to finish second in the Championship for the second consecutive year.

Absolutely terrifying what's happened to us, and I agree with those who date this entire thing back to when May was appointed.

4 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I never really blamed Yogi for that as most managers just want players at any cost.

It is up to the BOD to set the budget and , when required, say NO.

I think that is the kind of problem which we have been addressing in recent years!!

31 minutes ago, MrDust said:

I watched the road to the cup final 09 last night and we were fortunate in every game bar the Dunfermline game, where we didn't really need to perform due to them being piss poor.

I personally would point more fingers at George Craig for signing off funds for signing the Dad's army.  Yogi doesn't escape blame but I can see what he tried to do but Bullen was done tho offered a 37yr old a 2/3 yr contract and McCann was injury prone and lost his biggest ingredient to his game pace.

I'd guess the dad's army cost more than 10k a week tbh, rumours were we couldn't afford to pay off Bullen. 

Yes, both these points are fair. At the time I was beyond angry with Yogi. Having somewhat mellowed I accept that he was within his rights to ask for more money, but the BoD should have told him to get to f**k. We went from a team that had progressed from a mid-table First Division side to an established SPL side within his tenure thanks to signing largely hungry young players with points to prove, supplemented with experience. He then jettisoned all that and treated established first-teamers like shite (replacing Jack Ross with Jackie McNamara FFS).

21 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Even 4 years ago we were away to finish second in the Championship for the second consecutive year.

Absolutely terrifying what's happened to us, and I agree with those who date this entire thing back to when May was appointed.

I genuinely think that every football club in the country these days will have people monitoring the mood of various social media channels to see what the fans think. I believe on P&B there is a good balance of opinion but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the BoD have never even heard of P&B and are basing their views of fan opinion on the various Facebook pages which seem to be populated almost exclusively by the cereal-eaters who are perfectly happy getting out the house every fortnight and don't give a shit what our result is or what league we play in.

6 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Add McNamara, Pressley, O'Brien & McBride.

It was good enough (and still is) for fans to berate Hartley and McKinnon at any given opportunity, but God forbid anyone should slate “big Sexy and Cracks” who bleed the navy blue.
Ignore me if you don’t like what I post, I certainly won’t lose any sleep over it. But unlike others, I won’t be giving these underperforming chumps an easy ride.

I couldn’t care less re your opinion tbh. But that’s five consecutive posts from you of the same anti M and M rant. It’s like being on One F on this forum of recent.
We have been poor of recent and need to improve,so asking questions is absolutely fair. However as I said before this is probably more a long term learning experience for the co managers. Time may run out for them if they don’t learn fast. Certainly if we don’t get up and look capable. Bringing in Holt may help that situation.
Irrespective, whilst it’s fair to be critical of poor performances, some of the stuff on here is ridiculous when we are where we need to be.
Cue the usual......

22 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I couldn’t care less re your opinion tbh. But that’s five consecutive posts from you of the same anti M and M rant. It’s like being on One F on this forum of recent.
We have been poor of recent and need to improve,so asking questions is absolutely fair. However as I said before this is probably more a long term learning experience for the co managers. Time may run out for them if they don’t learn fast. Certainly if we don’t get up and look capable. Bringing in Holt may help that situation.
Irrespective, whilst it’s fair to be critical of poor performances, some of the stuff on here is ridiculous when we are where we need to be.
Cue the usual......

For someone who couldn’t care less re my opinion, you fair red-dot and respond to most of my posts. Off you f*ck!

Hughes and Craig have to share the blame. Craig for the amount of cash given out on wages and Hughes due to the fact that the players getting these huge wages by our standards ,turned out to be shite.  There was absolutely no need for the huge change in tact. The season before we had lost out on.the top 6 by a matter of minutes so all that was needed was a few tweaks here and there. Instead we spent a load more money and yet the team went backwards. Bullen hardly kicked a ball and ended up as the highest paid youth team coach in Scotland. Crazy stuff.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

So much of the criticism goes back to BPMs post about us being soft. We were, and probably are a bit of a soft touch club.......but that was then coupled to stupidity. Soft to let George Craig or Lex Miller indulge in their mover shaker with fantasies, and they in turn provided the stupidity and indulgence in the things they did.
M&M might be a continuance of softness, but we can only hope that Holt brings that an end. Can Holt bring an end to stupid decision making too? Maybe some of it, but we might need to rely on Rawlins being the flag bearer on that particular front.

1 hour ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

I'm lost here. What's cereal got to do with anything?

There was an advert for Better Together a few years back that had a woman rebuff her husband's attempt to talk about the Independence Referendum by telling him to "eat his cereal", with the implication being that he should be happy with what he got rather than striving for change. Shortly after it started to be used online to describe someone who settled for their lot in life despite how poor that lot was with no appetite for change.

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

There was an advert for Better Together a few years back that had a woman rebuff her husband's attempt to talk about the Independence Referendum by telling him to "eat his cereal", with the implication being that he should be happy with what he got rather than striving for change. Shortly after it started to be used online to describe someone who settled for their lot in life despite how poor that lot was with no appetite for change.

Never heard of it myself.

18 hours ago, Gaz said:

I know I bang on about this a lot, but ten years ago was the start of an unbelievable amount of rot.

Established SPL club, recent European football, recent cup final, first-class training facilities (I was at Stirling Uni at the time), youth academy, no debt, decent stadium. Had we advertised the job when Yogi went we'd have had some absolutely fantastic applicants.

But no, we appointed the youth coach as the cheap option who didn't want the job and didn't have the balls to admit that he wasn't cut out for it until we were all but relegated.

f**k's sake. Depresses me even when I think about it.

Don't blame Eddie May for taking the job. It was one of these life moments if he had turned it down., would have haunted him with ' What if ' The guy should never have been offered it in the first place. Who knows we may even have still had an academy.

Ahh okay yes I do remember that advert.

36 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Don't blame Eddie May for taking the job. It was one of these life moments if he had turned it down., would have haunted him with ' What if ' The guy should never have been offered it in the first place. Who knows we may even have still had an academy.

I don't blame him for taking the job.

I do blame for not admitting in September that he was doing a job he didn't even want absolutely terribly, and for not stepping down, and for giving shite post-match interviews blaming our latest pumping at the hands of him not praying hard enough, and for lumbering on until February.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

I thought politics was banned on here!