The Falkirk FC Thread

18 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

We also cut the budget on players wages so attracted the cheaper players to go with our cheaper manager.

My opinion on Yogi has somewhat mellowed over the years, but I'd argue that's mostly due to him spunking the cash on his old, past-it mates. His final season was almost as bad as May's season, with the cup final papering over some massive cracks and survival achieved thanks to Michael Higdon's arse.

Edited by Gaz

I’ve no doubt we’d get the number suggested, but after the horrendous few seasons who would be a good one ? For me we’ve had Jeffries MCall Yogi Ginger who I would say were good, them apart can’t remember too many good ones 

Totten did well until he was starved of funds.

The club picked them that is what the biggest issue is not that there are not good managers out there

9 hours ago, Gaz said:

My opinion on Yogi has somewhat mellowed over the years, but I'd argue that's mostly due to him spunking the cash on his old, past-it mates. His final season was almost as bad as May's season, with the cup final papering over some massive cracks and survival achieved thanks to Michael Higdon's arse.

We would've gone bust if we hadn't cut the wage bill from the year before. Wage bill had got completely out of control under Hughes and Craig and even with the cup final we lost a wad of cash. 

2 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Can’t confirm but sure someone said at the time, the infamous five signed by Yogi and needed for the next level were costing us around £10k a week in wages. 

I never really blamed Yogi for that as most managers just want players at any cost.

It is up to the BOD to set the budget and , when required, say NO.

I think that is the kind of problem which we have been addressing in recent years!!

19 hours ago, bairn88 said:

Watching Holt’s interview, he’s saying he’ll be giving M and M tools to win games each week I.e tactical analysis, plan b and c, suggesting which players to play...a lot more hands on than I thought...

The bod obviously recognised the fact M&M were struggling with plan a whatever it was, tactical nouse or lack of it, team selection. I think it's a good appointment, but I don't believe the "I'm not here to be Falkirk manager" part, I'll wager if M&M don't get results if and when we get back playing then that's exactly what he will be  at least short term. M&M will do well to see the season out imo. 

11 hours ago, Gaz said:

I know I bang on about this a lot, but ten years ago was the start of an unbelievable amount of rot.

Established SPL club, recent European football, recent cup final, first-class training facilities (I was at Stirling Uni at the time), youth academy, no debt, decent stadium. Had we advertised the job when Yogi went we'd have had some absolutely fantastic applicants.

But no, we appointed the youth coach as the cheap option who didn't want the job and didn't have the balls to admit that he wasn't cut out for it until we were all but relegated.

f**k's sake. Depresses me even when I think about it.

article-0-0572D5FA000005DC-408_468x481.j

Well, I mean, they're playing the wrong sport there.  That should've set the alarm bells ringing.  Coaching them tennis instead of football.

Edit - Is that Eddie May at the front? 

Edited by TheScarf

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Well, I mean, they're playing the wrong sport there.  That should've set the alarm bells ringing.  Coaching them tennis instead of football.

Edit - Is that Eddie May at the front? 

You better believe it.

The best big three since LeBron, Wade and Bosh!

1 hour ago, Bantabairn said:

I’ve never said that there’s not good managers out there, the point I’m making is that we’ve shat a brick in our last three games, been pretty dismal but I’m not convinced changing the two managers would be the correct way to go, as said Holt will have been briefed of our season to date and fully aware that more than a few players have not delivered and will need a size 12 where the sun don’t shine.

That’s the responsibility of our two managers though, we shouldn’t need to brief Gary Holt on what players need a boot up the arse. 

It’s not just the last three games that’s been dismal either.  I don’t believe for a minute that we’re any better than when M&M first took charge well over a year ago.

The Club appear to be treating this like we’ve taken in two lads on work experience who are providing free labour in return for being shown the ropes. I’d probably be a bit more sympathetic towards the pair of them if that was the case, but not only are they being well paid to manage this football club, I believe they also had the nerve to ask for a pay rise in the summer!

Edited by MSG GTF!

1 hour ago, MSG GTF! said:

That’s the responsibility of our two managers though, we shouldn’t need to brief Gary Holt on what players need a boot up the arse. 

It’s not just the last three games that’s been dismal either.  I don’t believe for a minute that we’re any better than when M&M first took charge well over a year ago.

The Club appear to be treating this like we’ve taken in two lads on work experience who are providing free labour in return for being shown the ropes. I’d probably be a bit more sympathetic towards the pair of them if that was the case, but not only are they being well paid to manage this football club, I believe they also had the nerve to ask for a pay rise in the summer!

How much are they being paid as a matter of interest?

Your clear vitriol towards the management team is starting to sound like a broken record tbh....

45 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Your clear vitriol towards the management team is starting to sound like a broken record tbh....

It was good enough (and still is) for fans to berate Hartley and McKinnon at any given opportunity, but God forbid anyone should slate “big Sexy and Cracks” who bleed the navy blue.

Ignore me if you don’t like what I post, I certainly won’t lose any sleep over it. But unlike others, I won’t be giving these underperforming chumps an easy ride.

Edited by MSG GTF!

Interesting read regarding 'joint' managers and a few, unsurprising quotes. More often than not, co- managers fail or are short term, irrespective of who the names are. We did of course win a league with co-managers, again short lived. FFC BOD take note.

https://www.football365.com/news/joint-managers-a-hiding-to-nothing

7 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

The BOD have backed M&M who regardless of many mediocre performances this season, sit clear at the top. No BOD unless with exception would sack their managers. If results don’t get us up I’m sure there will be changes.

Why do you keep saying ‘sit clear at the top’ as if we’re miles ahead? We’re 2 points ahead of Cove Rangers and 3 ahead of Montrose ffs.

5 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

The BOD have backed M&M who regardless of many mediocre performances this season, sit clear at the top. No BOD unless with exception would sack their managers. If results don’t get us up I’m sure there will be changes.

In the current circumstances anybody in any job is easily removed without much backlash, far less our lowly division 1 club, realignment of costs etc

Wouldn’t be surprised if the new owners don’t have someone lined up already.

At least I hope they have and then at least we know they are taking things seriously because we can’t keep bumbling along like we have been recently.

23 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Not true, we would have been clear at the top had we not failed to perform in our last three games.

We could be off top spot after our next game unless there is a dramatic improvement in performance.

The managers are still performing enough to achieve the goal set to them, so far, which is promotion. Whilst the football on display is shite, they still have us top of the league. This is basically their only remit which they are adhering to. I don't think the board can replace them at this stage, it would cause a backlash from probably the majority of the support, but what they can do, after seeing the level and results slip, is bring someone in to help them get this over the line, which they have done, rather than wait for failure to allow then to pull the trigger, which is not in our best interests whilst stuck in this league. 

1 minute ago, Believe The Hype said:

The managers are still performing enough to achieve the goal set to them, so far, which is promotion. Whilst the football on display is shite, they still have us top of the league. This is basically their only remit which they are adhering to. I don't think the board can replace them at this stage, it would cause a backlash from probably the majority of the support, but what they can do, after seeing the level and results slip, is bring someone in to help them get this over the line, which they have done, rather than wait for failure to allow then to pull the trigger, which is not in our best interests whilst stuck in this league. 

There would be no backlash if the team began to perform under a new manager.

40 minutes ago, JinkyBairn said:

We’re 2 points ahead of Cove Rangers and 3 ahead of Montrose ffs.

If I'd read this sentence 5 years ago I'd have assumed there was some major financial disaster which had befallen the club and we'd had to form a phoenix team